Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Dec 31, 2013 - 7:20 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

I could never understand why Barry didn't include that 20 seconds of Hand glider music with "Bond Lured to the Pyramid."

James

I love this film. It's so over the top wonderful. Great Barry score too.

Posted:   Dec 31, 2013 - 10:05 AM   
 By:   George Komar   (Member)

I could never understand why Barry didn't include that 20 seconds of Hand glider music with "Bond Lured to the Pyramid."

The cue is called "Rivers and Pyramids" and can be heard reconstructed here:

Click on "gkgyver" to find dozens of such reconstructions from "Moonraker" and "The Man With The Golden Gun," plus a handful from "Octopussy" (including the "Welcome to Delhi" cue).

Posted:   Dec 31, 2013 - 5:00 PM   
 By:   ZapBrannigan   (Member)

I'm afraid I wanted to express the opposite with my posting. Nobody (except for The Cat perhapswink ) seems to know where the tapes for "Moonraker" are. I merely tried to imply that TMWTGG seems to be available...

TMWTGG's 16-track tapes are absolutely available, as are TSWLM's 24-track tapes. They're at the Abbey Road studio in London. Lukas said so in the magazine (June 2003). It was only budget limitations that kept those titles from getting expanded editions.

Posted:   Jan 1, 2014 - 12:57 AM   
 By:   governor   (Member)

Who needs the original tapes?

After Tadlow┬┤s superb QB VII-re-recording, partly done by transcribing notes from listening to the DVD (!!!), I am sure they could do anything.

Me! John Barry often used some synthesizers, so it's not easy to transcribing some part.
Also NOTHING can compare with original session with ORIGINAL orchestra & conductor.
That's why even if I respect Tadlow & Mr. Raine, I don't have ANY new re-recordings in my collection - they always miss something (notes, intonations, spirit of the score).

Me too, I totally agree with JB Fan.

The sessions from Moonraker were complex for Barry because of problems with the orchestra (finding the right sound). John Barry stated it took longer than usual recording sessions in London, for example.

Posted:   Jan 1, 2014 - 2:22 PM   
 By:   Stephen Woolston   (Member)

Forgive me for saying so, but I felt the re-recorded Moonraker tracks on Silva Screen's "Bond Back In Action 2" disc didn't hit the mark.

But then again that was also, what, 15 years ago?

I have no doubt that a very good Moonraker re-recording could be made today.

That said, I think you are kidding yourself if you think a 2014 recording of this score would sound indistinguishable from the 1979 recording. It would be a new, different recording with its own life, perhaps with a subtly different orchestration if the original orchestration was distinctive and undocumented, with it's own conducting nuances, performance nuances, and recording nuances. I would welcome it, but I don't expect it to be 100% identical in all nuances to the original. And that wouldn't be a fair expectation either. All recordings are unique. And for that reason there would be space on my shelves for both that and a release of the original recording, if that were ever possible.

In other words:

Re-recording? Yes, please.

Original? Yes, please as well.

It doesn't have to be either/or, for me it's both/and.

Cheers

Posted:   Jan 2, 2014 - 6:16 PM   
 By:   David Ferstat   (Member)

Stephen Woolston wrote ...

That said, I think you are kidding yourself if you think a 2014 recording of this score would sound indistinguishable from the 1979 recording. It would be a new, different recording with its own life, perhaps with a subtly different orchestration if the original orchestration was distinctive and undocumented, with it's own conducting nuances, performance nuances, and recording nuances. ...

To amplify, another thing to bear in mind is that, as has been noted elsewhere, Barry, on more than one album, used synthesizers, often quite subtly, as components of the orchestra. Moonraker is one of these, and actually uses synthesizers more prominently that most.

Unfortunately, unlike violins, for example, synthesizers have changed dramatically in the last thirty years, and without knowing WHAT synthesizers he used, and HOW they were set, trying to recreate the "Barry sound" will be problematical, to say the least.

Posted:   Jan 2, 2014 - 7:06 PM   
 By:   Saul Pincus   (Member)

Unfortunately, unlike violins, for example, synthesizers have changed dramatically in the last thirty years, and without knowing WHAT synthesizers he used, and HOW they were set, trying to recreate the "Barry sound" will be problematical, to say the least.

You'd actually be surprised how many vintage synth experts and enthusiasts are out there; professionals, some of them, who specialize in this type of listening and apery.

Posted:   Jan 3, 2014 - 6:05 AM   
 By:   governor   (Member)

In other words:

Re-recording? Yes, please.

Original? Yes, please as well.

We'll get the original first.

Posted:   Jan 3, 2014 - 9:31 AM   
 By:   Ron Hardcastle   (Member)

For now I'll stick with my copy of the original.