Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jul 7, 2014 - 7:28 AM   
 By:   mstrox   (Member)

What a hideous cover!

Looks to me, from the picture, that the packaging is a book with each CD in an envelope on either side. So, the packaging is a lot more hideous than the cover.

The last two pages of the book are sleeves for the CDs.

I like the cover, personally. I wouldn't have wanted the OST cover again, and a lot of Disney animated cover art is not my cup of tea (key art with a solid background, the title slapped across the top).

Posted:   Aug 2, 2014 - 4:05 PM   
 By:   JamesSouthall   (Member)

My review of The Lion King, if anyone's interested:

http://www.movie-wave.net/the-lion-king/

Posted:   Aug 2, 2014 - 4:19 PM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

....one thing I have learned, Zimmer's Album suites are a lot better than what is actually written for the films. .

That is why I am excited by this release but would never part with the ost!!!!!
bruce

On first listen I would say that the suite which concludes the original release is a better listen than the final track of TLC "The Rightful King".
This new version clocks in at 10 plus minutes and meanders a bit as it follows the on-screen action
brm

I really dislike the "Stampede" and "Rightful King" cues on the expanded edition. I replaced those with the OST cues, "...To Die For" and "King of Pride Rock". The rest is fabulous and I generally love this release.

Posted:   Aug 4, 2014 - 2:21 PM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

written for the films. .

On first listen I would say that the suite which concludes the original release is a better listen than the final track of TLC "The Rightful King".
This new version clocks in at 10 plus minutes and meanders a bit as it follows the on-screen action
brm

I really dislike the "Stampede" and "Rightful King" cues on the expanded edition. I replaced those with the OST cues, "...To Die For" and "King of Pride Rock". The rest is fabulous and I generally love this release.

"Stampede", and the whole score, sounds much better on this release (as Mr. Southall so accurately points out in his fine review). Do an "a' & "b" comparison to hear it.
brm

Posted:   Aug 4, 2014 - 2:22 PM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

What a hideous cover!

Looks to me, from the picture, that the packaging is a book with each CD in an envelope on either side. So, the packaging is a lot more hideous than the cover.

I like the cover, personally. I wouldn't have wanted the OST cover again, and a lot of Disney animated cover art is not my cup of tea (key art with a solid background, the title slapped across the top).

You have to see the COMPLETE artwork to appreciate it.
Very nice indeed!
bruce

Posted:   Aug 4, 2014 - 2:42 PM   

written for the films. .

brm

"Stampede", and the whole score, sounds much better on this release (as Mr. Southall so accurately points out in his fine review). Do an "a' & "b" comparison to hear it.
brm

Yes, I do hear a big difference in sound quality. Sadly I have to live with it. I wish they included the OST cues remastered with this release. I really find demo's which are nothing more than sound sketches a waste of space.

Posted:   Aug 4, 2014 - 2:44 PM   

What a hideous cover!

You have to see the COMPLETE artwork to appreciate it.
Very nice indeed!
bruce

Yeah I hated the cover at first. But the overall design is consistent and quite nice. The artist is an impressionist, which I got after reviewing the whole package. The cover art for the next two releases are better too.