Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Feb 22, 2014 - 8:44 PM   
 By:   dyplorus   (Member)

Warner Bros. has a library, off the lot, where they keep a lot of MGM material. I contacted them with the hope of reaching a contact I had there, only to find he had left a year ago and the woman on the phone said it wasn't a research library to outsiders, only for internal use. She suggested I contact Ned Comstock, who I believe is at UCLA.

Ned is at USC. I went through the M-G-M music material when we did FSM CDs, and I never came across anything related to advertising or trailers unless they were scored at the time of the film.

Lukas

someone on the last page said something about how mgm today isn't the same as before...maybe its the "wrong" mgm?

Posted:   Feb 23, 2014 - 12:27 AM   
 By:   manderley   (Member)

Warner Bros. has a library, off the lot, where they keep a lot of MGM material. I contacted them with the hope of reaching a contact I had there, only to find he had left a year ago and the woman on the phone said it wasn't a research library to outsiders, only for internal use. She suggested I contact Ned Comstock, who I believe is at UCLA.

Ned is at USC. I went through the M-G-M music material when we did FSM CDs, and I never came across anything related to advertising or trailers unless they were scored at the time of the film.

Lukas

someone on the last page said something about how mgm today isn't the same as before...maybe its the "wrong" mgm?

dyplorus.....you're grasping at very flimsy straws now. Lukas went through the CORRECT MGM material. (In my earlier post I was attempting to explain to you that today's MGM is really United Artists, and yesterdays MGM material is owned by Turner/Warners.) Lukas is a very thorough researcher---he had to be for his extensive and detailed filmmusic liner notes related to these films--- and if he says he found NO paper documentation for the MGM trailers or documentaries you can fully believe that he didn't.

I think you need to stop posting here and start watching (and listening) to old MGM films for their music content which might be used as stock. I think there are about 1900 or so MGM films in the Warner library. You could probably discard the 1930s material and start in the 1940s and particularly in the 1950s material. If you discarded the musicals and seemingly non-relevant genres (comedies, westerns, etc) you could probably winnow your viewing down to about 700-900 films. Starting tomorrow and watching only 3 movies a day, it wouldn't even take you a year to get through 900.

Get some sleep tonight and start in the morning.

Posted:   Feb 23, 2014 - 9:06 AM   
 By:   Stefan Huber   (Member)

If nobody here can come up with an answer I pretty much doubt that anyone would know - especially if these things were not documented as Lukas has written above. I doubt that even the person preparing the trailer (if still alive) would know fifty years after its creation.

Even if we found out the movie or TV show this recording has been created for (or find other "presentations" it has been used in if it is pure stock music), there's still a pretty slim chance that it still exists in its music-only form.

I have not seen the "Zhivago" trailer for years and still remember the theme - so I would also be interested to know its source, but I think it's a lost case frown

Posted:   Feb 23, 2014 - 12:27 PM   
 By:   Stefan Huber   (Member)

Another interesting question (for manderley?) popped up for me - though this has little to do with the original inquiry: would editors "unnecessarily" pull nitrate-era material for a 1965 trailer - or would they have been aware of the risks by then (the least being permanently losing the fragile master)?

Posted:   Feb 23, 2014 - 6:24 PM   

Lukas

dyplorus.....you're grasping at very flimsy straws now. Lukas went through the CORRECT MGM material. (In my earlier post I was attempting to explain to you that today's MGM is really United Artists, and yesterdays MGM material is owned by Turner/Warners.) Lukas is a very thorough researcher---he had to be for his extensive and detailed filmmusic liner notes related to these films--- and if he says he found NO paper documentation for the MGM trailers or documentaries you can fully believe that he didn't.

I think you need to stop posting here and start watching (and listening) to old MGM films for their music content which might be used as stock. I think there are about 1900 or so MGM films in the Warner library. You could probably discard the 1930s material and start in the 1940s and particularly in the 1950s material. If you discarded the musicals and seemingly non-relevant genres (comedies, westerns, etc) you could probably winnow your viewing down to about 700-900 films. Starting tomorrow and watching only 3 movies a day, it wouldn't even take you a year to get through 900.

Get some sleep tonight and start in the morning.

Well I would do that, but unfortunately I am in school, and I have classes in the morning and a night-time class starting at 6:30 on wednesdays...Basically I don't have time to do that. I love this piece too much to give it up. And I'm starting to doubt its creation by MGM given what Lukas has said, and I'm starting to think it was created by the Thomas Craven Film Corporation, I've noticed they use similar music and sometimes even the same music in other trailers. The reason why I'm pinning it on them it because in multiple trailers where I've heard the same music I've noticed at the end it mentions being a production of that company. I'll be searching there for now. And I'm going to keep posting on this topic because I know that it can put this topic back at the top of the list in the forums for people to see and click on. On forums the saying "out of sight out of mind" very much applies to whether a thread stays alive or not. And right now, this is my most reliable hope. *knocks on wood*

Posted:   Mar 2, 2014 - 1:53 AM   

No one has found it yet have they? ._.