Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Aug 21, 2013 - 9:53 PM   
 By:   MikeP   (Member)

This is on SonyHD channel this month... it may just be me but the film looks MUCH better than it has before. As per my previous post above, it had been looking awful ( the deliberate hazy/smoke photography notwithstanding ) - but I DVR'd it this week and the print seems to much improved - much sharper, what seems to be a huge improvement over the last run and no doubt it looks better than the DVD.

Anyone else see it this month...is it just me? If it IS a new HD master...can a BluRay be far behind?

Posted:   Aug 21, 2013 - 9:57 PM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

Anyone know why the photography is so *hazy* looking in this film?

I thought it was atmospheric so the numerous miniature scenes would blend in better? They used the "smoke room" (?) a lot back then to defuse light and give model work a sense of scale.

Holy shit, Herb, solium is right (sorry, solium, I couln't resist) but that is indeed what I read in American Cinematographer years ago. For some reason, I forget why, they started filming the miniatures first, before the live-action, and Bill Fraker smoked up the stages and used heavy diffusion to help hide the wires on the model panes and sell the sense of scale, as solium stated; then they carried that over into the main production shoot to make the photography match.

The movie is long overdue a good quality hi-def remastering, but it's definitely a film with a cult appeal.

That's exactly where I read, it all those years ago. big grin