Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jul 7, 2015 - 10:03 AM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Of course all of that is quite true, but every time an older Columbia/Sony score turns out to have surviving elements, it gives me just a little more hope that other ones survive in some form as well. Same with UA pictures, most of which are lost, but occasionally there's a ray of sunshine and something like The World of Henry Orient survives.

It's just that I had previously written off Face of a Fugitive as lost, and now I've got a little more hope. smile

Yavar

Posted:   Jul 7, 2015 - 10:17 AM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

It's just that I had previously written off Face of a Fugitive as lost, and now I've got a little more hope. smile

Hope is dangerous. It leads to disappointment.

(I'm kidding! Sorta.)

Posted:   Jul 18, 2015 - 4:35 PM   
 By:   captain_avis   (Member)

Looks like a new release of Chain Reaction is coming (per d2 Mastering's Client page: http://d2mastering.com/).

This is probably a Varese in perpetuity release, so I'm guessing this'll be in the next club batch?

Chris.

Posted:   Jul 22, 2015 - 5:32 PM   
 By:   MutualRevolver   (Member)

And now it looks like the information was pulled from d2's page. Wonder what the other Club titles will be...

Posted:   Jul 23, 2015 - 6:29 AM   
 By:   trstnvnk   (Member)

Looks like a new release of Chain Reaction is coming (per d2 Mastering's Client page: http://d2mastering.com/).

This is probably a Varese in perpetuity release, so I'm guessing this'll be in the next club batch?

Chris.

Must admit that from the Varese titles Chain Reaction isn't that high on my wishlist, but I'll definitely buy it. Maybe the score plays better in expanded form

Posted:   Aug 15, 2015 - 3:57 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

I'm looking forward to Chain Reaction, which will definitely play better in expanded form. (Maybe not complete form -- it may be one like Star Trek: Nemesis, where some pruning can make an excellent score shine in its best light. But I'd rather have the option to do the pruning myself rather than have someone else make decisions about what's best to include.)

Also, it seems about 99% certain that one of Intrada's next releases will be an expanded Secret of NIMH. Unfortunately there will only be one added cue and some alternate vocals, but that's all that could be found and it's much better than just a straight reissue! I'm also looking forward to the improved sound.

Now about those missing 10 minutes or so of NIMH, if James Fitzpatrick wanted to record them in a "NIMH suite" and stick them on a future Goldsmith re-recording as a bonus, well, that would make me a very happy man!

Yavar

Posted:   Aug 18, 2015 - 11:49 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

Yavar, here's the final tally for "Police Story": Goldsmith is credited for 17 episode scores on the series. It's mainly in season one.

My personal listing (completed today) including the TV movies:

http://tvscoring.150m.com/PoliceStory.html

Posted:   Aug 18, 2015 - 11:55 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

I'm looking forward to Chain Reaction, which will definitely play better in expanded form. (Maybe not complete form -- it may be one like Star Trek: Nemesis, where some pruning can make an excellent score shine in its best light. But I'd rather have the option to do the pruning myself rather than have someone else make decisions about what's best to include.)

Also, it seems about 99% certain that one of Intrada's next releases will be an expanded Secret of NIMH. Unfortunately there will only be one added cue and some alternate vocals, but that's all that could be found and it's much better than just a straight reissue! I'm also looking forward to the improved sound.

Now about those missing 10 minutes or so of NIMH, if James Fitzpatrick wanted to record them in a "NIMH suite" and stick them on a future Goldsmith re-recording as a bonus, well, that would make me a very happy man!

Yavar

Intrada gave us what they could after an extensive search. Sadly I guess NIMH will have to remain on the list of "scores that need to be expanded". Though it's likely, the book is closed on this one.

Posted:   Aug 18, 2015 - 12:17 PM   
 By:   DavidCorkum   (Member)

Yavar, here's the final tally for "Police Story": Goldsmith is credited for 17 episode scores on the series. It's mainly in season one.

It's my understanding that Goldsmith only did the pilot TV movie of Police Story. Episode credits are derived from the use of his music by the music editor, and by some re-recording of his cues to fit other episodes. But he was only involved personally with the pilot.

Posted:   Aug 18, 2015 - 12:28 PM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

All I can tell you is what it says on screen, though. IF that were the case, it does make one wonder why episodes not in the first season, had that kind of score fit in, when they had regular contributing composers.

But eventually when I get the time, I do plan I watching all of them (Goldsmith scored ones) and noting the score, so eventually I'll be able to come here and let everybody know what I find.