Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Oct 12, 2014 - 1:27 AM   
 By:   counterpoint   (Member)

As much as I love Newman's original AIRPORT, and the single Cacavas AIRPORT score I have heard (75), I am kind of surprised that no one seems to have mentioned Schifrin's CONCORDE: AIRPORT 79 yet.

That`s actually my favorite score of them all. It is a bit more energetic than the Cacavas scores that I love as well. Anyway I would buy such a box set immediately.

And how about an album of Schifrin`s Starflight: The Plane That Couldn't Land? Also a great score.

Posted:   Oct 12, 2014 - 9:44 AM   
 By:   Mike_H   (Member)

Hope is reborn ... smile

After 32 years of wondering if anything other than the handful of "theme" cover versions of "Airport '77" may have existed I found this on a forum, which will remain anonymous as I don't want the poster flooded with requests as desperate as mine was. In the end I elicited the help of the forum founder who relayed: "Once he gets his LPs in a digital format, he will reach out to people." (hopefully myself included).

Anyway - the post went like this (it was in relation to some fan-art cover mockups that had somehow found their way to a vinyl forum): "I have a test pressing acetate with 6 songs from Airport '77. No frills, center label hand written. Has theme/end credits and 4 of incidental background music tracks. Plain white cover. Are either of these the proposed cover art if they hadn't scrapped the soundtrack?? Anyone??"

No other information was forthcoming... sounds very much like what may have been Side 2 of a proposed soundtrack album.

Fingers crossed and will advise as I hear anything.

That is awesome! I had no idea they even considered an LP release of '77.

And yes, a box set is long overdue.

Posted:   Nov 14, 2014 - 7:12 PM   
 By:   Filmscoremonty   (Member)

Hope is reborn ... smile

After 32 years of wondering if anything other than the handful of "theme" cover versions of "Airport '77" may have existed I found this on a forum, which will remain anonymous as I don't want the poster flooded with requests as desperate as mine was. In the end I elicited the help of the forum founder who relayed: "Once he gets his LPs in a digital format, he will reach out to people." (hopefully myself included).

Anyway - the post went like this (it was in relation to some fan-art cover mockups that had somehow found their way to a vinyl forum): "I have a test pressing acetate with 6 songs from Airport '77. No frills, center label hand written. Has theme/end credits and 4 of incidental background music tracks. Plain white cover. Are either of these the proposed cover art if they hadn't scrapped the soundtrack?? Anyone??"

No other information was forthcoming... sounds very much like what may have been Side 2 of a proposed soundtrack album.

Fingers crossed and will advise as I hear anything.

Another development: the original poster advised the following: "...sorry it took so long to respond. It is instrumental tracks, 7 of them. (I had erroneousely said 6 in my original post, but I double checked and it is actually 7). Once I get it transferred I will be happy to share with all." ... that was Oct 13 and no joy so far.....

Posted:   Nov 15, 2014 - 1:11 AM   
 By:   bobbengan   (Member)

I'd definitely welcome this, as well as his awesome, Goldsmithian HANGAR 18 score:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AymcoZhiqO0

His large-scale orchestral library music is often spectacular as well - Really showcased some amazing orchestral chops and makes me wish he'd been granted more high-profile projects that would have called for music of that type.