Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Oct 14, 2018 - 11:21 AM   
 By:   OnyaBirri   (Member)

I sometimes prefer the knockoff albums to the original scores. Obvious examples would be Roland Shaw, Ray Martin, and Sounds Orchestral.

Posted:   Oct 14, 2018 - 11:34 AM   
 By:   Alex Klein   (Member)

You have way too much time on your hands.....

So do you, my friend big grin.

Alex

Posted:   Oct 15, 2018 - 1:31 AM   
 By:   Tom Maguire   (Member)

Since you mentioned Diamonds Are Forever, I believe it is one of Barry's greatest scores, especially in the expanded version. Set in Las Vegas, it lends itself to Barry's brassy style. I listen to it more than any other John Barry score.

Diamonds gets my vote for the greastest Bond song ever. Best music, best lyrics, best performance and best recording. There's such an elegant mature wisdom about the relationship between men and women in the song. I think its unique persepective about relationships comes from the fact that it's a song sung by a women, about men but written by a *gay* man. I think about the lyric "men are mere mortals who are not worth going to your grave for" all the time.

Posted:   Oct 15, 2018 - 8:56 AM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

mos def.

Posted:   Oct 15, 2018 - 9:29 PM   
 By:   Alex Klein   (Member)

As much as I like the DAF song, my vote for the greatest song must go to 'We Have All The Time In The World'. It is the quintessential love song, and the fact that it was Louis Armstrong's last recording just adds to the magic of the piece.

Alex

Posted:   Oct 15, 2018 - 10:38 PM   
 By:   ZapBrannigan   (Member)

Diamonds gets my vote for the greatest Bond song ever. Best music, best lyrics, best performance and best recording. There's such an elegant mature wisdom about the relationship between men and women in the song. I think its unique perspective about relationships comes from the fact that it's a song sung by a women, about men but written by a *gay* man. I think about the lyric "men are mere mortals who are not worth going to your grave for" all the time.

While I would question the "wisdom" or ethics of the lyric, DAF is not meant to portray a good girl or give real advice, so that's beside the point. The song itself is a stunner, insanely good, and I think that's because the earth-shaking execution lived up to and even exceeded the solid composition.

Posted:   Oct 15, 2018 - 10:56 PM   
 By:   ZapBrannigan   (Member)

I sometimes prefer the knockoff albums to the original scores. Obvious examples would be Roland Shaw, Ray Martin, and Sounds Orchestral.

Compilation CD:

Roland Shaw is the greatest of all possible cover artists for the Barry Bonds. He delivered the Barry, and always with that extra something that made the Shaw worth having even if you also had the original. [I'm not sure I'd say that for Shaw's takes on OHMSS and DAF, but everything that came before was amazing and wonderful.]

The Ray Martin Bond sound is very Austin Powers, downright comedic as heard today. For the Barry fan, Martin is not in the same league as Shaw, and he's not even playing the same sport. The Shaw-Martin divide between serious and comedic is much greater than the analogous dichotomy between Connery and Moore films.