Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Oct 15, 2018 - 6:59 PM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

did someone here actually say MOS is the best Supe movie ever?

Id...idi.....idiot!

Posted:   Oct 15, 2018 - 10:51 PM   
 By:   Michael Scorefan   (Member)

That said, Man of Steel is the new era Superman movie we needed.* It's awful that WB reverted to being a bunch of pantywaists who ixnayed Snyder's take after being completely onboard with it.

Not bringing in much money at the box office will do that. Man of Steel and Batman v Superman were at best modest hits when WB wanted/needed them to be blockbusters. Of course with Justice League it shifted from something polarizing among fans to something few people liked. Hopefully some day someone will figure out how to make Superman a success again.

*If one requires proof, look no further than the unforgivably pastiche hot mess that is called Superman Returns — a waste of talent (minus Singer's) and money every which way.

The only proof that Superman Returns provides is that WB can make a crappy Superman movie. Something we already knew. Still, I love Ottman's score to it.

Posted:   Oct 15, 2018 - 10:53 PM   
 By:   Michael Scorefan   (Member)

The bottom line is that when you reboot 30-40 years later, you have to do it from the ground UP. And not draw from only one comics Age.

Absolutely. Using this technique was what made the Donner film such a big success. The variety of interpretations also allowed Man of Steel to be as different from the Donner film as it was.

Posted:   Oct 16, 2018 - 12:11 AM   
 By:   ZapBrannigan   (Member)

I played my long-shelved Rhino edition, as promised, and both physical CDs are in perfect working order. They're as good as new.

I think Jim Phelps must have gotten a rare defective one, or possibly a counterfeit set, the kind you hear about being made in China.

The only thing in my collection I can't test anymore is the double-LP set, and I'd be willing to vouch for it. This is an old photo, but all it's missing are my Blu-rays, some DVDs, and Zimmer MoS score: