Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Sep 6, 2020 - 12:51 PM   
 By:   gsteven   (Member)

Yavar, how many of these are you listing because you believe them to have significant music missing that deserves a release? Many of these scores are small scores (not a knock, I love them), so don't let some short-ish running times fool you into believing there's a ton of missing music. A score like "Da" is very, very slight (and charming).

I don't recall if there was more music in "Far From Heaven" than the 45 minutes Varèse released. I do know that that is one of my favorite scores of this millennium. And yet I find the current presentation completely satisfying, and wouldn't be interested in an expansion.

There are a few cues missing on FAR FROM HEAVEN. The one that stands out is the art exhibit scene.

As long as we're mentioning unrecorded tv music, how about LITTLE WOMEN, THE BIG VALLEY (season 3), and OWEN MARSHALL, COUNSELLOR AT LAW (some classis, pre-ondes Bernstein.)

Posted:   Sep 6, 2020 - 1:08 PM   
 By:   JSDouglas   (Member)

Although the spin-off DELTA HOUSE was mentioned, I could find no reference to the original ANIMAL HOUSE score. It's a pivotal score in Bernstein's career and one could almost regard it as unreleased since only less than a minute appears on the song album (plus a track with Bernstein score & dialogue). I keep hoping Universal will cough it up as a part of the Heritage collection (or whatever they're calling it).

Posted:   Sep 6, 2020 - 1:41 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

That’s because when going back through Elmer’s career, I stopped at 1979 (hence “Part 1”), just before getting to Animal House.

At some point I actually finished going all the way back, but was stupidly doing all the work just in a regular post window when my browser crashed and I lost all the work. I haven’t gotten around to going back, all these years since. (Sorry.) And now I compose my long posts in an email draft which auto saves.

I would still like to finish the original post some day. But I hadn’t even found the time to update it yet since the Wild Wild West expansion (and I’d been meaning to; hadn’t forgotten about this thread or anything).

Yavar

Posted:   Sep 6, 2020 - 1:49 PM   
 By:   JSDouglas   (Member)

That’s because when going back through Elmer’s career, I stopped at 1979 (hence “Part 1”), just before getting to Animal House.

At some point I actually finished going all the way back, but Was stupidly doing all the work just in a regular post window when my browser crashed and I lost all the work. I haven’t gotten around to going back, all these years since. (Sorry.) And now I compose my long posts in an email draft which auto saves.

I hear you - the exact same thing has happened to me. It is so disheartening that it makes you want to just move on to other things. Sorry it happened over such a worthy endeavor.

JSD

Posted:   Sep 6, 2020 - 2:19 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Yeah, me too. Has happened to me multiple times and it’s just crushing every time...and I rarely do go back but I hope in this case I will.

For now, I have removed Wild Wild West from the first post thanks to the fantastic new Varese Deluxe Edition (something of a revelation, really). For anyone curious I did speak with Peter Bernstein about working with his father and younger sister on this score, about an hour and a half into this:
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/1746388-odyssey-interviews-peter-bernstein

Yavar