Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   May 25, 2013 - 6:36 PM   
 By:   Other Tallguy   (Member)

While we're rambling on about Star Wars music: Was the love theme from AOTC and attempt to tie into the theme that plays during the final duel between Luke and Vader? After six films this GORGEOUS music comes out of nowhere, thematically at the climax to the whole saga. What do you all think?

The minor-key men's chorus theme that plays during the final duel between Luke and Vader (the Emperor's theme?) returns in The Phantom Menace, rescored as a major-key tune for children's chorus (singing "ya, ya, ya") in the big parade scene at the end.

I've actually always thought of the love theme from AOTC as a minor-key variation of the Luke Skywalker theme.

Sorry, not the Emperor's theme (which is totally the parade music, yeah) I mean the music that goes from when Vader says "You have a twin sister!" and Luke shouts "No!" to when Luke cuts off Vader's hand. 1:13 in Final Duel on the Anthology. THEN the Emperor's theme plays at 1:50. A similar (if not the same) motif plays when Yoda vanishes. 5:10 in The Death of Yoda on the Anthology.

Wow, that whole thing is only 37 seconds long?!? I'd say that piece is 75% of what I wanted the FOUR DISC Anthology for. We're crazy people!

Posted:   May 26, 2013 - 5:31 PM   
 By:   The Shape (Steve H)   (Member)

On the original LP and CD there are some eerie slide whistling effects for the first few bars of the track The Emporer. They're quiet effective really. These whistles are not present on the same cue on both the Anthology and 2CD special editions. Could this track have been rerecorded for the original album?

Posted:   May 26, 2013 - 10:55 PM   
 By:   Tom Servo   (Member)

On the original LP and CD there are some eerie slide whistling effects for the first few bars of the track The Emporer. They're quiet effective really. These whistles are not present on the same cue on both the Anthology and 2CD special editions. Could this track have been rerecorded for the original album?

I doubt it was a re-recording for the original album, but instead a synth overlay that could not be located or was not in the tapes used for the Anthology and 2CD set.

Posted:   May 27, 2013 - 12:52 AM   

Similar whistling effects are heard in "Faking The Code" as the shuttle flys over Vaders Star Destroyer.

Posted:   May 27, 2013 - 12:57 AM   
 By:   jenkwombat   (Member)

I doubt it was a re-recording for the original album, but instead a synth overlay that could not be located or was not in the tapes used for the Anthology and 2CD set.

I always assumed the Anthology mix was the same as the one on RSO, just remastered and cleaned-up a bit. Interesting. I'll have to dig out my old RSO "Jedi" disc...

Posted:   May 27, 2013 - 4:09 AM   

I always assumed the Anthology mix was the same as the one on RSO, just remastered and cleaned-up a bit. Interesting. I'll have to dig out my old RSO "Jedi" disc...

Listen to the first couple of verses of the the Emperors theme after the intro. The whistles are very similar to the effect
Jerry Goldsmith used in Alien ("Hanging On") as the Face hugger is revealed attached to Cain.