Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Dec 29, 2013 - 9:59 AM   
 By:   WILLIAMDMCCRUM   (Member)

You mean this?

http://www.amazon.de/Hollywoods-Greatest-Hits-Classic-Movies/dp/B002Q2JTK2/ref=dm_cd_album_lnk

Yes. I only mention it forensically, in that the performance tells us that scoresheets are available somewhere for Alec the Great. It's a wobbly performance as a CD overall.

Posted:   Dec 29, 2013 - 10:37 AM   
 By:   Ron Hardcastle   (Member)

Rather than recycling already recorded soundtracks, I wish they would next devote their attentions to some film scores that have NEVER been recorded, such as Michael Small's "Love and pain and the whole damn thing" and Michel Legrand's for "Sheila Levine Is Dead And Living In New York," and others that have, alas, fallen between the cracks.

Posted:   Dec 29, 2013 - 11:16 AM   
 By:   Doug Raynes   (Member)

I wish they would next devote their attentions to some film scores that have NEVER been recorded, such as Michael Small's "Love and pain and the whole damn thing" and Michel Legrand's for "Sheila Levine Is Dead And Living In New York,".

Let's be realistic. Sales of those would nowhere near cover the cost of hiring an orchestra. They'd be a sure fire route to bankruptcy though smile

Posted:   Dec 29, 2013 - 3:08 PM   
 By:   pp312   (Member)

I differ on the Morricone 'Kyrie Eleison set to Clint Eastwood rhythm' though. I'm reluctant to say why in case I spark something off...

Well, tell us anyway. It's nearly time for another controversy.

Posted:   Dec 30, 2013 - 9:22 AM   
 By:   Ron Hardcastle   (Member)

Doug: Re: "Let's be realistic. Sales of those would nowhere near cover the cost of hiring an orchestra. They'd be a sure fire route to bankruptcy though"

Actually I didn't make clear what I really meant. I know how gorgeous Small's music is in "Love and pain and the whole damn thing" and think that others would find it quite magical themselves. And obviously it would probably be very hard to find even 1,000 music lovers willing to shell out $20 for the entire soundtrack for a film they know nothing about. But I'd love for Tadlow to record a special compilation with maybe a couple of cues from several of the holy grails that many of us have posted here that have NEVER been available on CD. They could publicize it by noting that these are examples of beloved soundtracks that have NEVER been available before. Yes, in terms of marketing, it would be a greater challenge than, say, the recent "QB-VII" and "Exodus," but I'm sure many of us here wouldn't hesitate to jump on the bandwagon to trumpet the magic of the neglected cues chosen for such a recording.

Posted:   Dec 30, 2013 - 3:03 PM   
 By:   John Black   (Member)

SHEILA LEVINE IS DEAD AND LIVING IN NEW YORK-"Love Me, Oh Love Me, Oh Baby Won't You Love Me?"

Posted:   Jan 4, 2014 - 1:59 PM   
 By:   DavidCorkum   (Member)

Has anyone suggested Goldsmith's SECONDS? Provided that the organ and echoing effects could be duplicated faithfully (and not just imitated acoustically), it is a classic that deserves a finer preservation than what's possible with the film stems.