Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   May 7, 2014 - 2:07 AM   
 By:   riotengine   (Member)

Can anyone confirm that discounts/sales on Olive blu-rays are scarce?

They have announced sales on their Facebook page and their home page. I've taken advantage of a few. You just have to watch out for them.

http://www.olivefilms.com/

Greg Espinoza

Posted:   May 7, 2014 - 2:55 AM   
 By:   riotengine   (Member)

Can anyone confirm that discounts/sales on Olive blu-rays are scarce?

Barnes & Noble currently has a buy two, get one free deal.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/olive-films?aref=1524&dref=1050&keyword=olive+films

Greg Espinoza

Posted:   May 7, 2014 - 12:20 PM   
 By:   CinemaScope   (Member)

If it's multi-region I'll defiantly be buying Operation Petticoat, a really great feel good film, & very funny. If not I'll wait, it's a Universal film & a lot of Universal films get released on Blu in Europe.

Well it was locked to A, but I wouldn't have bought it anyway, as looking at the caps & reviews it looks awful, such a shame. Good news about The Sands Of Iwo Jima (Wayne is really great in this), but it all depends on what Olive have found to use as a master, it could be that it won't be that much better than the DVD.

Posted:   Aug 5, 2014 - 6:01 PM   
 By:   johnjohnson   (Member)

Independent U.S. distributors Olive Films have officially announced that they will release on Blu-ray Allan Dwan's Sands of Iwo Jima (1949), starring John Wayne, John Agar, and Adele Mara, and Santos Alcocer's Blind Man's Bluff a.k.a. Cauldron of Blood (1970), starring Jean-Pierre Aumont, Boris Karloff, Viveca Lindfors, and Rosenda Monteros.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14655

Posted:   Aug 8, 2015 - 4:22 PM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

I recently noticed that Olive Films, which heretofore had pretty much been exclusively releasing catalog films from first the Paramount catalog and then the Paramount-owned Republic library, has begun releasing some of the MGM/UA catalog.

They have issued Blu-rays of these AIP films:

BEACH BLANKET BINGO
COFFY
COOLEY HIGH
FOXY BROWN
FRIDAY FOSTER
MUSCLE BEACH PARTY
PSYCH-OUT
THE THING WITH TWO HEADS

and from UA they've issued:

ALICE'S RESTAURANT
CAVEMAN
HAMMER
A HOLE IN THE HEAD
HOW TO MURDER YOUR WIFE
IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE
KISS ME, STUPID
NED KELLY
THE NIGHT THEY RAIDED MINSKY'S
PORK CHOP HILL
ROAD TO HONG KONG
TEACHERS
WHAT DID YOU DO IN THE WAR, DADDY?

and from Orion they've issued:

BEST SELLER
BLUE SKY
LITTLE MAN TATE
WITHOUT A CLUE

and from Cannon they've issued:

ALLAN QUATERMAIN AND THE LOST CITY OF GOLD
FIREWALKER

and they have plans to issue BLACK CAESAR and SLAUGHTER on September 22nd. Plus they've issued titles from other MGM-held companies such as Filmways, the Samuel Goldwyn Company, and Trans World Entertainment.

Apparently, MGM, which also has deals with Shout/Scream Factory, Kino-Lorber, and Twilight Time, cannot license these things fast enough. Good times for disc lovers.

Posted:   Aug 9, 2015 - 10:06 AM   
 By:   manderley   (Member)

For the record, ROAD TO HONG KONG is a United Artists film, not an American-International film.

I DO wish Olive would release much more of the "true" Republic Pictures library after concentrating so much on Republic film noir and the John Wayne library. Although most is admittedly minor B-product, there are so many other interesting films in every creative category in this library---westerns, murder mysteries, adventures, musicals, comedies---and it is technically very well-made, scored, and shot, for its level.

Posted:   Aug 9, 2015 - 1:38 PM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

For the record, ROAD TO HONG KONG is a United Artists film, not an American-International film.

Thanks. I knew that. Just slotted it the wrong group as I scrolled up and down the list in my post, inserting them alphabetically in each group as I came upon them in Amazon. Corrected.

Posted:   Aug 9, 2015 - 7:33 PM   
 By:   manderley   (Member)

Thanks. I knew that. Just slotted it the wrong group as I scrolled up and down the list in my post, inserting them alphabetically in each group as I came upon them in Amazon. Corrected.

Actually, Bob, I wonder if, after ROAD TO BALI in 1952, the "Road" series HAD eventually been picked up by AIP and in the later '50s and '60s, had been redeveloped for younger audiences, it might have extended its life.

I can see Frankie Avalon and Jody McCrea as two entertainer/surfers travelling the world, performing and searching for waves---and always running into Annette---in such exotic comedy adventures as THE ROAD TO HANALEI, THE ROAD TO FIGI, THE ROAD TO SAMOA..... And, of course, at some point in each film as a running gag they also always come upon two old guys, played by guest stars Bing Crosby and Bob Hope, who manage the local beach bar.