Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jul 16, 2018 - 2:44 PM   
 By:   MusicMad   (Member)

I've owned the set for nearly 2 months and am still working through it. I already owned three of the discs, none of which I thought as great, but generally enjoyable, being his recordings of the popular show tunes, great American songbook and a tribute to Sinatra.

I played the Aaron Copland suite for The Red Pony today and thought that was pretty good and recently the first half of his albums of themes to Spielberg films (volumes 1 and 3). I don't own or know all of the scores included in these two selections but for those I do, I can't make my mind up as to whether these performances are more enjoyable than their OST versions. Similarly, the Star Wars Trilogy.

I can't say his Bassoon concerto impressed but that needs a few more plays; Copland's Quiet City and Alan Hovhaness' Mysterious Mountain/Symphony #2 are good. So, early days for me and i readily admit that I'm not his greatest fan.

I certainly would not have paid the present asking price for this set ... but at the deal price two months ago I can't say I regret buying it ... yet.

Mitch

Posted:   Jul 16, 2018 - 2:55 PM   
 By:   dtw   (Member)

I got myself a copy of this earlier in the month for about £35 (eBay, jolly good condition) and just finished it yesterday. Yes, I'd already got about 4 of the discs, but it was still a good deal at that price.