Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

This is a comments thread about FSM CD: None But the Brave

Posted:   Jul 31, 2009 - 2:21 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

If they're mediocre, why bother. Life is too short to watch substandard rubbish when there is so much good stuff to watch.

Basically because I'm a huge Williams fan that am curious to see ANY of his work in context, even if it might be crappy stuff. That's just as interesting to me as seeing a classic!

Posted:   Jul 31, 2009 - 2:50 AM   
 By:   Bob Bryden   (Member)

Always loved the score and the movie. Saw it in theatres at time of release.
The film is surprisingly good - except for one blaring misstep - the absurdly
over-the-top (NOT in any fun, campy way) performance of Tommy Sands.
Other than that - Sinatra's film is very brave and has a strong message.
Quite profound actually for a film made only 20 years after WW2.

Posted:   Jul 31, 2009 - 6:25 AM   
 By:   CinemaScope   (Member)

If they're mediocre, why bother. Life is too short to watch substandard rubbish when there is so much good stuff to watch.

Basically because I'm a huge Williams fan that am curious to see ANY of his work in context, even if it might be crappy stuff. That's just as interesting to me as seeing a classic!

Not everyone likes "None But The Brave", but I don't think they could call it mediocre, unless they had zero knowledge of films of that era. As for wasting time watching mediocre movies, well if you like it, you're not wasting your time.

Posted:   Jul 31, 2009 - 7:01 AM   
 By:   vinylscrubber   (Member)

Yes, Sinatra's tendency to fall into a few "ring-a-ding-ding" moments and the ghastly Sands performance are regrettable, but the film has a certain power in spite of those faults. It certainly isn't the kind of material one would have expected Sinatra to pick for his directorial debut. Arguably, it also contains one of Clint Walker's most effective screen performances.

It is, indeed, regrettable that Warners blew the Japanese subtitle situation (although it almost lends the film an even "artier"
feel in the beginning.)

Posted:   Jul 31, 2009 - 7:50 AM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

I know Clint Walker and Brad Dexter were in that but was Sands the fellow who played the shouty, gung-ho, raw "loottenant"?

If that's the one, that robotic marine voice reminded me a little of Rip Torn in Beach Red.
(I know one was a grizzled Sergeant and the other a bit of a by-the-book idiot but the style of voice was the same).
I always thought None But the Brave was later than Beach Red's 1967 but Ive seen something that said 1965 for NBTB? Can someone confirm ?

Posted:   Jul 31, 2009 - 3:10 PM   
 By:   vinylscrubber   (Member)

Yeah, Bill, NONE BUT THE BRAVE was 1965, and, you're right, Sands DOES sound like Rip Torn in many of his roles, but Torn somehow pulls off the clenched-jaw delivery, while Sands sounds like someone who's had a broken jaw wired together.

Posted:   Aug 1, 2009 - 3:20 AM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

Yeah, Bill, NONE BUT THE BRAVE was 1965, and, you're right, Sands DOES sound like Rip Torn in many of his roles, but Torn somehow pulls off the clenched-jaw delivery, while Sands sounds like someone who's had a broken jaw wired together.

That made me laugh, vinylscrubber.

yeah, clenched jaw delivery - with a butt of a fat cigar sticking out!!!!

(i'll move my Beach Red observations to separate thread)

None but the Brave was an interesting film from memory. Been years since I saw it. Was it either the first of its kind - or one of the first - to feature the Japanese soldier's side of things, the fishermen missing home and their wives and children and such like? That must've been unusual back then?
I dont have the score yet but recorded the music originally from the film. I liked it. In fact I liked a lot of Williams stuff before he did the more well known blockbusters.
The CD seems highly recommended by posters on here.

Posted:   Aug 2, 2009 - 6:33 AM   
 By:   Steve Johnson   (Member)

I just got this and it is a fine score. BUT- and this is a big BUT- somewhere in the middle of, I want to say, Track 14. Williams goes "GILLIGAN'S ISLAND/JOHN GOLDFARB silly ( that's silllleeey as in gooofeeey) on us. It hurts the "total listening ambience"

Did I get that right, Thor?