Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Aug 4, 2020 - 12:43 AM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

OATH OF VENGEANCE (1944) - 5/10

This is an overly serious title for a film that offers more comedy than is the norm for these "C" westerns. In this case, the laughs arise when "Fuzzy Jones" (Al St. John) decides to give up cow-herding and open a general store, much to the amusement of his pal "Billy Carson" (Buster Crabbe). Fuzzy is beset by a matronly (and overly amorous) mail clerk co-located in the store (Marin Sais), as well as by a number of slow-paying customers. The latter arise because of a range war that is simmering between the farmers and ranchers, who are led by a woman (Mady Laurence). Unbeknownst to all, the feud is being stoked by local moneylender "Steve Kinney" (Jack Ingram), who figures he'll pick up land cheap if a war breaks out. Billy investigates.

Posted:   Aug 4, 2020 - 3:17 AM   
 By:   Damian   (Member)

Zenebal 3/10. Lucretia Love,John Ireland and Lionel Stander. Pretty bad, really. It had the potential to be much better - period romp some decent cast members and a bit of t & a. To be fair it did seem to be a bit butchered with the scissors. Maybe it was raunchier?

Mallory must not die 6/10 Robert Woods. Not bad , not great either but watchable. The music by Roberto Pregadio over used the main theme a bit to much.

Posted:   Aug 4, 2020 - 6:59 AM   
 By:   TominAtl   (Member)

Ford vs Ferrari, aka Le Mans 66

9/10

I especially liked Bale's performance. I have no idea how close it is to the real Ken Miles, but it came across well.

This was one of my favorite films last year. Great film. Just a great story in and of itself and the Bale and Damon had great chemistry on screen.

Posted:   Aug 4, 2020 - 11:39 AM   
 By:   Warlok   (Member)

HBO's The Watchmen

6/10

I may need its own thread later to discuss this one. On the heels of my viewing of season 1 of American Gods, I find myself giving a lower score to this one than I thought it otherwise deserved. I enjoyed it, yet several things rubbed me the wrong way, and some of those are bigger things than story particulars.

Loved Jeremy Irons as Veight, of course.

Posted:   Aug 4, 2020 - 11:41 AM   

Ford vs Ferrari, aka Le Mans 66

9/10

I especially liked Bale's performance. I have no idea how close it is to the real Ken Miles, but it came across well.

According to the Special Features, that was indeed Ken Miles. Brilliant film, liked it more than 1917, which is unusual for me.

Posted:   Aug 4, 2020 - 11:50 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

HBO's The Watchmen

6/10

I may need its own thread later to discuss this one. On the heels of my viewing of season 1 of American Gods, I find myself giving a lower score to this one than I thought it otherwise deserved. I enjoyed it, yet several things rubbed me the wrong way, and some of those are bigger things than story particulars.

From what I heard its Watchmen in name only.

Posted:   Aug 4, 2020 - 11:56 AM   

HBO's The Watchmen

6/10

Its a funny one. In some ways it is close to the original story, if that's of import compared to the film. In some ways it kind of insults (?) the film... like I say, tough to properly analyze. Worth seeing, but... smile.

Posted:   Aug 4, 2020 - 2:20 PM   
 By:   Michael Scorefan   (Member)

HBO's The Watchmen

6/10

Its a funny one. In some ways it is close to the original story, if that's of import compared to the film. In some ways it kind of insults (?) the film... like I say, tough to properly analyze. Worth seeing, but... smile.

The series is a sequel to the source material, i.e., the Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons graphic novel. It ignores the supplemental material DC published without Alan Moore's involvement, and is separate from the movie adaptation. For example, the HBO series retains the original Earth shattering event that is supposed to change the world that was from the graphic novel, instead of the event used in the movie. I haven't seen the series yet, but a friend of mine who has seen it, and who is familiar with the graphic novel, was quite happy with the HBO series. Hopefully I will get the chance to watch the show some day, but considering I don't have a subscription to HBO, it won't be any time soon.

Personally, I am happy that they are not attempting to adapt the graphic novel, but rather build on the world the graphic novel created. The original series was built from the ground up to take advantage of all the strengths offered by the comic book medium, and reading through it, it shows. Movies have their own strengths, but very little of what made the graphic novel great translates well to a movie. I am not particularly fond of the movie adaptation, nor am I that fond of Zack Snyder, but I don't know that anyone else could have honestly done much better adapting the story to film.