Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Feb 21, 2020 - 5:50 PM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

House on Haunted Hill 1959

8/10 - if you like silly and campy films staring Vincent Price. I sure love that house.
Music by Von Dexter

Yes. Silly AND massively entertaining. If Vincent price were sandwich meat, he'd be the finest of the finest.

Posted:   Feb 21, 2020 - 10:43 PM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

Get yourself over to Wild Strawberries, Sawdust and Tinsel, and even Summer Interlude for more 1950s Bergman jewels, to name just a few off the top of my pointy little head.

I’ll search for these on YouTube next time I get the opportunity. Which will be Monday, as it happens.

Mitch, if you find yourself going to Scarborough fair, don’t forget to pop in on the way!

Posted:   Feb 22, 2020 - 12:11 AM   
 By:   MusicMad   (Member)

Mitch, if you find yourself going to Scarborough fair, don’t forget to pop in on the way!

Ta .. will do ... but you'll excuse us waiting for the present weather to change. I read you're in for the sort of downpours we've had recently frown Our daughter has just returned from a short break, with friends, to Harrogate ... and says it's good enough for a return visit one day (if only the weather had been better).

Posted:   Feb 22, 2020 - 6:49 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

MusicMad doesn't "review" films--he punishes them!

Posted:   Feb 22, 2020 - 12:46 PM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

God's Club 1-5

A fantasy about a teacher and daughter who just want to teach Gods words in Bible study class in high school. The non-theists in town are a scary and angry mob who try to close down the club. Meanwhile the mean girls in school ransack the Bible study classroom and set the teachers house on fire for good measure. Because that's how we deal with them theists in America. Meanwhile some boy with a chemical imbalance falls in love with the teachers daughter and learns the way of God and goes off his med's and almost jumps off a bridge in depression. But all's good, prayer saved the boys life. The townsfolk come around, the Bible study stays in school and all the meanie students and townsfolk join in on Bible class. They never resolve if the kid with the chemical imbalance goes back on his meds. But he is a happy clam reading passages from the bible at the end of the film.

Posted:   Feb 22, 2020 - 1:24 PM   
 By:   Nightingale   (Member)

Midway (the new one).

Absolutely no memorable characters in the movie and instantly forgettable. Wish Spielberg or Nolan or Mendes had tackled it instead.

Posted:   Feb 22, 2020 - 4:33 PM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

THE CALL OF THE WILD (2020) - 7/10

This is a decent family movie that should interest people of all ages. They've given the CGI dog, "Buck," an engaging but not cloying personality. The look of the dog is taken from a digital scan of an actual dog owned by director Chris Sanders and his wife. The film has plenty of other digital effects as well: an avalanche, pristine landscapes, long shots of Alaskan mining towns, etc.

Although this is being sold as a Harrison Ford movie, Ford only becomes the "owner" of Buck about half-way through the film. Prior to that, Buck is one the dogs on the sled of a husband-wife team (Omar Sy and Cara Gee) who are delivering mail in Alaska. This first part of the film is actually more interesting than the Ford sequences.

Director Sanders (HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON) calls once again upon John Powell to provide the score. It's a fine effort, but doesn't rise to the heights (no pun intended) of HTTYD. The score has some Celtic flourishes.