Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Feb 18, 2019 - 4:28 AM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

RoGoPaG -
6/10 for Rosselini’s segment
7/10 for Godard’s segment
10/10 for Pasolini’s segment
8/10 for Gregoretti’s segment

Four stories allegorically illustrating the start of the end of the world. Rossellini has a beautiful Italian air hostess harassed by an American salesman attracted by her innocence and chastity. Godard’s main character finds that post-apocalyptic Paris is the same as before, but with subtle alterations to attitude. Pasolini shows the hypocrisy of filming a rich technicolour version of the death of Christ in a poor monochrome society. Gregoretti’s family of consumers find the strength to resist temptation while a commentary on refining consumerism overshadows them.

Music by Carlo Rustichelli which works like gangbusters in the film but would probably be mystifying away from it.

Posted:   Feb 18, 2019 - 2:06 PM   
 By:   MusicMad   (Member)

John Wick (2014) ... 2/10

I didn't know what to expect and as time passed the story did not develop in the way I'd assumed ... actually: the story did not develop ... FULL STOP. Once we'd seen the first shoot out (in JW's house) it was as if the film was stuck in a loop because that's all that kept happening.

The story, for what there was, appeared to be a cross between Mel Gibson's Payback (1999) and Tom Hanks' Road to Perdition (2002) but somewhere in the mix they left out all of the characterisation, humour, humanity ... and entertainment.

Oh, and the music score was awful.

And to think there's a sequel - unbelievable!
Mitch

Posted:   Feb 18, 2019 - 6:13 PM   
 By:   Mr. Jack   (Member)

Posted:   Feb 18, 2019 - 9:12 PM   

I didn't know what to expect and as time passed the story did not develop in the way I'd assumed ... actually: the story did not develop ... FULL STOP. Once we'd seen the first shoot out (in JW's house) it was as if the film was stuck in a loop because that's all that kept happening.

The story, for what there was, appeared to be a cross between Mel Gibson's Payback (1999) and Tom Hanks' Road to Perdition (2002) but somewhere in the mix they left out all of the characterisation, humour, humanity ... and entertainment.

Oh, and the music score was awful.

And to think there's a sequel - unbelievable!
Mitch

Sorry you found this out the hard way, Mitch. I’ve watched the first two films and dismissed them on these pages as being thoroughly valueless. Keane shoots many people in the head. Big deal!

Posted:   Feb 19, 2019 - 1:04 AM   
 By:   MusicMad   (Member)

John Wick (2014) Sorry you found this out the hard way, Mitch. I’ve watched the first two films and dismissed them on these pages as being thoroughly valueless. Keane shoots many people in the head. Big deal!

What? You watched the sequel even though you'd see this ... ? Brave man!

Posted:   Feb 19, 2019 - 4:18 AM   

John Wick (2014) Sorry you found this out the hard way, Mitch. I’ve watched the first two films and dismissed them on these pages as being thoroughly valueless. Keane shoots many people in the head. Big deal!

What? You watched the sequel even though you'd see this ... ? Brave man!

big grin I couldn't believe the second one could be as bad - but it was. I have a thing about giving additional chances of redemption.

That's also why I don't have anyone on ignore. No, not even - now you didn't really expect me to name anyone, did you, or maybe you did!