Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Mar 25, 2020 - 8:46 PM   
 By:   zooba   (Member)

Last night I watched CAPTAIN FROM CASTILLE on DVD first with the commentary by Nic Redman, John Burlingame and Rudy Belcher and then I watched again with just Alfred Newman's Isolated score.

Found the commentary quite fun and informative and then it was nice to hear the slated cues on the Isolated Score with snippets of Alfred Newman saying little things to the orchestra from time to time.

Fun to see Caesar Romero as Cortez and Jay Silverheels in a supporting role. Also Lee J. Cobb was quite healthy and almost pudgy and rotund at that time in his role. A glimpse of Jean Peter's panties during the "Sarabande" Dance sequence was an extra added boner, I mean bonus!

Posted:   Mar 26, 2020 - 12:46 AM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

Zoob, im afraid - after all these years - for the crime of not being able to tell the difference between butter and magarine (eg the What movie did you Watch thread and What are you currently watching TV series thread) you will be sent packing into self isolation as punishment, and you must stand 3 metres from your computer and not email any friends for 10 minutes). smile

Posted:   Mar 26, 2020 - 2:12 AM   
 By:   zooba   (Member)

Zoob, im afraid - after all these years - for the crime of not being able to tell the difference between butter and magarine (eg the What movie did you Watch thread and What are you currently watching TV series thread) you will be sent packing into self isolation as punishment, and you must stand 3 metres from your computer and not email any friends for 10 minutes). smile

I think I can live with that. I hope I can. Bill, what was I thinking?

I have to find the Movie thread now. I may have actually posted there that I was enjoying Season 3 of STAR TREK TOS on DVD. Oh My! What is happening to me?

Posted:   Mar 26, 2020 - 7:55 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

Sanford and Son season two.

The whole "lockdown" concept is redundant to me, as I am usually "locked down" in one era or another. Recently it's been NBC TV series of 1973-74.

One of the more interesting elements of S&S is all the wonderfully-dated references, many of which were popular at the time but are now obscure to all but the most obsessed 1970s-fixated viewer. These make the show even more interesting to me.

Posted:   Mar 26, 2020 - 11:30 AM   
 By:   paulhickling   (Member)

I gave up on knightfall, Paul.
Wasnt holding me. I dunno, i thought the concept was ok but it just seemed a bit flat and weak.

Must be summat about the arresting sight of the Templars in the gear that is quite well directed in a pictorial sense. I can be a very visual type, and there were an awful lot of shots emphasising the Templars outfits. However grim the first series got it was actually quite colourful. Second series was much more aping Thrones, and they took all the colour out and turned up the fruity language.

Also difficult to sympathise too much with the hero since it was his antics that brought about the sticky end to everyone. Didn't help that they recast the King's daughter, and took his crown away, replacing it with some leather villain's outfit.

As a sort of epilogue I watched the Robin of Sherwood episode Seven Poor Knights From Acre just last night since my interest started there. Great episode form a great series. But they were gits in this, no good 'uns among 'em. But still a dramatic sight in ever scene they were in.

Posted:   Mar 26, 2020 - 12:35 PM   
 By:   Xebec   (Member)

I gave up on knightfall, Paul.
Wasnt holding me. I dunno, i thought the concept was ok but it just seemed a bit flat and weak.

Must be summat about the arresting sight of the Templars in the gear that is quite well directed in a pictorial sense. I can be a very visual type, and there were an awful lot of shots emphasising the Templars outfits. However grim the first series got it was actually quite colourful. Second series was much more aping Thrones, and they took all the colour out and turned up the fruity language.

Also difficult to sympathise too much with the hero since it was his antics that brought about the sticky end to everyone. Didn't help that they recast the King's daughter, and took his crown away, replacing it with some leather villain's outfit.

As a sort of epilogue I watched the Robin of Sherwood episode Seven Poor Knights From Acre just last night since my interest started there. Great episode form a great series. But they were gits in this, no good 'uns among 'em. But still a dramatic sight in ever scene they were in.

I once read a book on Crusader knights and an image in it always left a great impression on me:

"in such battles. knights were often described as looking like porcupines with so many arrows sticking out of them"

I think they were tangled in the padded tunics overlaying their armour. I know the knights sometimes also had thick padded layers inside their armour for protection. I just thought that image of knights fighting on after being hit a multiple times would looking amazing in a production.