Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Sep 13, 2019 - 4:50 PM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

"Little by little the look of the country changes because of the men we admire."

Prescient all right. Between that line and Elmer B's brooding guitar and Mr. Wong's equally brooding cinematography and Melvyn D & cast...this is a great film.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2019 - 8:16 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

HUD deserved, but did not receive, a Best Picture nomination in 1963.

Cleopatra and Lilies of the Field did not warrant their Best Picture nominations.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2019 - 8:57 AM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

No nomination? Yeesh. Did not know that.

I'm thinking about what Ritt said about youthful reaction to the picture as a harbinger of what was coming down the road.

My Dad would turn 100 next week. He was a WWII vet. Hud was 34 and that would make him born 1928. Hud enlisted when he was 17 and that would be just as the war ended in '45. So they would be of the same generation. Homer looks to be in late 60s as people in their 60s often looked backed then. So Homer and my Grandpa would be contemporaries, too. Guess what I'm saying is that Lonnie would be part of the targeted generation, a [fringe] Boomer, that Ritt would have had in mind.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2019 - 9:04 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

Paul Newman, also a WWII veteran, was born in 1925 and would have been 37-38 when HUD was filmed. Entirely too old and chock full of life experience to behave as he did, imo. I suppose Hud was supposed to be much younger than that.