Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Sep 11, 2019 - 6:22 PM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

I was watching the Granada Sherlock Holmes episode "The Norwood Builder", and saw it was directed by "Destiny of the Daleks" director Ken Grieve, who died in 2016.

Posted:   Sep 13, 2019 - 4:43 AM   

Anyone here read Tom's SCRATCHMAN novel?

Posted:   Sep 13, 2019 - 7:06 AM   
 By:   litefoot   (Member)

Not me. Not that interested tbh, despite being a big Who fan.

Posted:   Sep 13, 2019 - 7:46 AM   
 By:   paulhickling   (Member)

Not me. Not that interested tbh, despite being a big Who fan.

Me neither. Not much of a novel reader, but I suppose I'm not the only one who knows it's based on the movie script that he and (Baker) companion actor/novelisation author Ian Marter touted around in the 70s to no avail. Shame we never got to see it. The Scratchman of the title was supposed to be played by Vincent Price! One of many feature film projects that never made it.

Posted:   Sep 13, 2019 - 8:40 AM   
 By:   litefoot   (Member)

Brief change of subject - Tom's appearing at the London Film Fair this Sunday.

Posted:   Sep 13, 2019 - 11:25 PM   

And it wasn't Williams' fault that the people 'from above' insisted on the curtailing of the more gripping stuff because of what was felt as the excesses of his predecessor. He did the best he could with the slim resources that the Beeb provided back then, and not being able to thrill he and his team decided to try and amuse. The results varied, but Horror of Fang Rock and Image of the Fendahl had plenty of atmosphere not out of place with what had gone before.

The stories you mention benefit from not being the garishly lit, sci-fi cardboard type of story typical of the Williams era. As the DR WHO bonus features often discuss, the Beeb have a great store of Victorian-era sets and costumes, and so productions that employ those tend to benefit and as a result look richer than stories featuring giant prawns.