Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Dec 16, 2023 - 2:31 AM   
 By:   Jehannum   (Member)

I saw some clips of this woke dogshit. Made me glad I stopped watching a while back.

Posted:   Dec 16, 2023 - 4:12 AM   
 By:   Hercule Platini   (Member)

I binge-watched the three new DoctorWho episodes the other night and.... well, meh, really.

First off, what the hell have they done with the title music? Was one full symphony orchestra and choir not enough? More doesn’t equal better. (You could also ask why Tennant didn’t regenerate into his predecessor’s clothes as usually happens.) The whole first episode was pros and cons: on the one hand I liked the fact that he just happens to be carrying a courtroom wig around for no reason (presumably a throwback to Tom Baker’s Stones Of Blood); but I didn’t like the sonic drawing-a-screen-in-the-air, that just seemed silly. The Meep itself – could probably be defeated by pushing a medium-sized filing cabinet on top of it. Also: a massive wave of fiery citywide destruction just goes into reverse and the roads just rebuild themselves? Er, no. Overall, I was really not impressed with The Star Beast. There doesn’t yet seem to be any reason beyond fan service why they’ve brought back Tennant’s Doctor and the Nobles, and the exaggerated domestic comedy just isn’t funny.

Wild Blue Yonder was much better: there’s a fascinatingly weird idea in there and most of the which-one-of-them-is-the-real-one scenes were nicely done. Easily the best of the three.

As for The Giggle: it's easily the weakest of the three with a wildly nonsensical villain I just didn’t believe: no Grand Plan, no reason for doing what he’s doing beyond doing it just because. Maybe it would have helped if we were more familiar with the Michael Gough incarnation, but it's missing. As it is, we don't know who this weirdly accented trickster is, and it culminates in an extended game of catch atop a skyscraper for unclear stakes.

Then we get the regeneration for no particular reason except now there’s two of them, presumably so we can have more Tennant/Tate adventures as well in the future. As for just malletwhacking a second Tardis into existence – no. It’s far too early to determine how Ncuti Gatwa’s incarnation will be, but to be honest, the few scenes he had didn’t grab me. Still looking forward to the Christmas episode though, but hopes are not high.

As for the "aaargh! it’s all gone woke!" stuff, none of that bothered me: a handful of throwaway lines of dialogue, a transitioned character who was only in one episode and a (possibly alternate) version of Isaac Newton who was in it for less than two minutes. There are far more important things going on in the world to lose your shit over. Look: if you don’t like a TV show any more, just walk away from it. I bailed on Who midway through Capaldi’s tenure after the mind-melting stupidity of the episode where the Moon was an egg, and didn’t come back until the intolerable Clara (and Moffatt’s appalling writing) had gone.

My problems with this mini-season were: no reason why any of this is happening, comedy that wasn’t funny, two unimpressive villains (Meep and Toymaker). There was some good stuff, mainly in Yonder, but overall it was not an evening well spent.

Posted:   Dec 16, 2023 - 6:13 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

I loved Tennant and Tate, their involvement in this spoils it a bit.
I hope Smith and Gillan don't tarnish their WHO legacy and stay far away.

Posted:   Dec 17, 2023 - 8:53 PM   
 By:   bupole   (Member)

Michelle Ryan has entered "secret talks" to become Doctor Who's new assistant, according to a report today.

The Sunday Mirror claims that Ryan will join the Eleventh Doctor Matt Smith for the show's fifth series in 2010.

A source told the newspaper: "Michelle's been in secret talks with BBC bosses. They are likely to announce her as Doctor Who's new assistant very soon. She is perfect for the role.

"She is good-looking and the right age to star alongside Matt. Everyone agrees they look great together and reckon fans will think they're the perfect team too."

Ryan, 24, is best known for playing EastEnders' Zoe Slater from 2000 to 2005. She also had the lead part in NBC's short-lived Bionic Woman remake, which aired in 2007.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a143396/ryan-tipped-as-new-who-assistant.html https://geometrydashsubzero.net

God feels familiar, now I really know her.

Posted:   Dec 25, 2023 - 12:47 PM   
 By:   johnjohnson   (Member)

An explosive new trailer has just launched which gives a glimpse of what’s in store for the new season of Doctor Who when the TARDIS lands in May 2024.

With Ncuti Gatwa as the Fifteenth Doctor, alongside Millie Gibson as Ruby Sunday, they will face new monsters as they head off in the TARDIS for many out of this world adventures.

The new season will also see an all star line up including returnees Yasmin Finney and Bonnie Langford who will reprise their roles as Rose Noble and Mel Bush. As well as introducing Jinkx Monsoon as the Doctor’s most powerful enemy yet, Jonathan Groff in a mysterious key role, Indira Varma as the Duchess, and Lenny Rush as Morris, to name just a few...

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news-and-features/doctor-who-returns-in-may-2024

Posted:   Dec 26, 2023 - 1:39 PM   

So, did anyone watch the Christmas special?

Posted:   Dec 26, 2023 - 1:48 PM   
 By:   litefoot   (Member)

Not here.

Posted:   Dec 26, 2023 - 2:09 PM   
 By:   paulhickling   (Member)

I watched it. Good fun. The plot with the goblins was virtually non existent in favour of the story of the new companion. The new leads were refreshing and quite jolly, with the rest of the cast being good enough to believe.

The music from Murray Gold, back with the rest of the 2005 team, was good but often inappropriate to my ears. Like show runner RTD wanted the pace to still rush when a scene deserved less frantic tempo, and louder than I remember when I constantly championed it first time around.

The so called wokeness was considerably dialled back, after the other specials so any representation seemed as natural as anything else around.

Ultimately though, lightweight jolly hockey sticks undemanding entertainment. All pretentions of science fiction being sidelined for straight forward fantasy. With occasional exceptions, not the case in the 60s and 70s.

Posted:   Dec 26, 2023 - 2:26 PM   

Not here.

I don't have Disney+ so I'll wait for the UK blu-ray release. At least Disney haven't put a block on the UK releases, it seems that's the reason why there is no listing for the US releases. Going forward, it could be a while before the US versions are made available.

Posted:   Dec 27, 2023 - 12:55 AM   
 By:   Rick15   (Member)

I watched it. Good fun. The plot with the goblins was virtually non existent in favour of the story of the new companion. The new leads were refreshing and quite jolly, with the rest of the cast being good enough to believe.

The music from Murray Gold, back with the rest of the 2005 team, was good but often inappropriate to my ears. Like show runner RTD wanted the pace to still rush when a scene deserved less frantic tempo, and louder than I remember when I constantly championed it first time around.

The so called wokeness was considerably dialled back, after the other specials so any representation seemed as natural as anything else around.

Ultimately though, lightweight jolly hockey sticks undemanding entertainment. All pretentions of science fiction being sidelined for straight forward fantasy. With occasional exceptions, not the case in the 60s and 70s.

I agree. I think I was still expecting wokeness though - which made it hard for me to just sit and watch it without anticipating being hit on the head the Disney MESSAGE.

It was good to see the ‘mavity’ storyline mentioned (blink and you’ll miss it style) so I expect the Sir Isaac Newton thing to have a payoff at some stage.

I’m still on the fence about this though. I thought Ncuti was good but there’s still the Disney MESSAGE twirling around in the back of my mind......but I’m looking forward to seeing another adventure - which I wasn’t with Jodie.

Posted:   Dec 27, 2023 - 11:55 AM   

I agree. I think I was still expecting wokeness though - which made it hard for me to just sit and watch it without anticipating being hit on the head the Disney MESSAGE.

It was good to see the ‘mavity’ storyline mentioned (blink and you’ll miss it style) so I expect the Sir Isaac Newton thing to have a payoff at some stage.

I’m still on the fence about this though. I thought Ncuti was good but there’s still the Disney MESSAGE twirling around in the back of my mind......but I’m looking forward to seeing another adventure - which I wasn’t with Jodie.

We know of course that RTD has more or less declared himself the king of woke. So it's a case of like it or lump it. I see it now as light entertainment. So if ever I'm impressed I'll really let folks know.

Posted:   Dec 27, 2023 - 1:24 PM   
 By:   Hurdy Gurdy   (Member)

It felt like something I'd watch with the G-ids on C-Beebies, transposed to BBC1...with better msic.

Posted:   Dec 27, 2023 - 2:41 PM   

I have to admit, the season trailer doesn't make me excited for the new season.

Posted:   Dec 28, 2023 - 9:24 AM   

We know of course that RTD has more or less declared himself the king of woke. So it's a case of like it or lump it. I see it now as light entertainment. So if ever I'm impressed I'll really let folks know.

That doesn't surprise me. The whole Davros sketch should have been a warning to fans what the agenda is. Funny how all these years RTD was happy enough for Davros the way he was. Now all of a sudden, he's uncomfortable with the character. Hell, he even mentions the whole production team were uncomfortable with the original portrayal. The Disney influence truly reaches far and wide. Everything that has come before it seems is now open to be retconned.

Light entertainment indeed.

Posted:   Dec 29, 2023 - 2:15 AM   

That doesn't surprise me. The whole Davros sketch should have been a warning to fans what the agenda is. Funny how all these years RTD was happy enough for Davros the way he was. Now all of a sudden, he's uncomfortable with the character. Hell, he even mentions the whole production team were uncomfortable with the original portrayal. The Disney influence truly reaches far and wide. Everything that has come before it seems is now open to be retconned.

Light entertainment indeed.

I thought I noticed a flaw in that Davros sketch. While they decided that we can't have a villain in a wheelchair anymore, it seems we CAN have an Asian (Indian/Pakistani in the UK) actor playing a neo Nazi. Until a friend reminded me there were already two white actors in it...... They must have thought it was the lesser of two evils, lol. Something of a twin dilemma.

I'll get me coat........

Posted:   Dec 31, 2023 - 8:29 AM   

https://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/guest-feature-why-doctor-who-is-no-longer-the-show-that-i-fell-in-love-with-100409.htm

Posted:   Jan 1, 2024 - 5:46 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

I saw a review of the Christmas Special. WTF?! Glad I'm so over this sh*t. But I feel for the Brits.