Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jun 20, 2006 - 1:25 PM   
 By:   musickco   (Member)

Some time ago I remember chatting here with a member who was referring to the main title of The Big Country as conducted by Tony Bremner on Silva Screen Records - and I inadvertently thought he was referring to the Nic Raine conducted main title which Silva utilised for their reissue of this album.

I didn't mention though what the actual difference was between the two versions - and indeed the reason there are two versions.

The recording was made with access to the composer's original manuscripts - and he had, in fact, originally composed the main title slightly differently - with "Scottish snaps" (where the rhythmic figure of a very short accented note on the beat is followed by a longer note to complete the beat).

This was changed on the podium on the day of the film's recording sessions.

Silva's re-recording of the main title restores the version finally heard on the film soundtrack.

So, two versions - that the composer originally intended and that finally utilised on the film.

Posted:   Jun 20, 2006 - 5:49 PM   
 By:   Lester Sullivan   (Member)

Am I correct in thinking, then, that the SAE of the original tracks does NOT have the Scottish snaps?

Posted:   Jun 20, 2006 - 5:59 PM   

Without checking I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Posted:   Jun 20, 2006 - 6:28 PM   
 By:   Rozsaphile   (Member)

I remember enjoying Tony Bremner's realization of the urtext Prelude on the first Silva release. How interesting to have both versions available for comparison. Did the reissue retain both of them -- perhaps leaving one as an "appendix"?

Posted:   Jun 20, 2006 - 7:29 PM   

No, both versions are not on the same album - although the "difference" is minor. I believe the Moross estate, who work closely with Silva Screen, opted for only having the version available on the film on the CD.

Posted:   Jun 20, 2006 - 7:35 PM   
 By:   The_Mark_of_Score-O   (Member)

Are Scottish snaps what the Scots use to keep their kilts up?

Posted:   Jun 21, 2006 - 12:31 AM   
 By:   Sigerson Holmes   (Member)

So, if I want to hear the Scottish snaps, WHICH version do I buy? What's the label and serial number, just so I don't get confused again . . .

Posted:   Jun 21, 2006 - 9:13 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Are Scottish snaps what the Scots use to keep their kilts up?

I thought it was some kind of drink...

Posted:   Jun 21, 2006 - 10:30 AM   
 By:   WILLIAMDMCCRUM   (Member)

So, if I want to hear the Scottish snaps, WHICH version do I buy? What's the label and serial number, just so I don't get confused again . . .

They're generally called 'Scotch Snaps' but nobody in Scotland likes that particular adjective. According to the good notes in the Silva release FILMCD 030, which was the original also on vinyl, Bremner's comments tell us that Moross himself in the original intended these snaps, very common in bagpipe tunes:

'It was interesting to discover modifications during the sessions by Moross himself - a flute solo played an octave lower here, some people tacet there. The solo viola who introduces the famous tune at the end was, according to the score, meant to be ALL the violas. All these on-the-spot modifications are reproduced in this new recording with one exception, and it is a major one, since it concerns the best-known moment of the entire score-the brass fanfares in the Main Title. The rhythm that everybody knows is:

(handwritten fig. here of monotone rhythm using 2 linked quavers followed by semibreve and then two bars each containing linked quavers followed by a dotted minim),

but that is not what is written! Moross gives us, every time:

(fig. of a Scottish snap with a first semiquaver/dotted quaver link followed by a minim undotted.),

.... the so-called 'Scotch Snap'. Perhaps it was too fast for his trumpeters to sound clearly, but in a scribbled autograph to Christopher Palmer he has written it as it appears in the score and as you hear in this recording. Moross also changed his mind about something else: the Big Country tune as it appears in the Main Titke was to have VOICES added to it, singing an "ah". Thank goodness he did.'

So according to these notes, the first issue 030 HAS the snaps. It's interesting that Silva thought it more appropriate to later restore the film version as 'authentic' rather then Moross' own intentions! Or was this an attempt to get extra sales from anal retents?!!!!

Overall though, the OST, SC-1R-JM from SAE is the best and most inclusive release.

Posted:   Jun 21, 2006 - 10:55 AM   

""It's interesting that Silva thought it more appropriate to later restore the film version as 'authentic' rather then Moross' own intentions! Or was this an attempt to get extra sales from anal retents?!!!!""

As I mentioned in an above posting, it was the Moross estate that requested the change. I don't think the inclusion or exclusion of a few Scottish snaps would sway sales! But yes, you never know!! :-)

It is often the case when re-recording scores that "differences" between the original manuscript and what was actually recorded at the original sessions come to light. Generally people seem to want a re-recoding to be of "what they know" - although there were no hawk-eared critics out there who noticed the difference between Silva's original recording of the BC main titles and that on the film.

Posted:   Apr 26, 2007 - 1:40 PM   
 By:   ScoreDude   (Member)

Is SSD1048 the same recording as 030?

Posted:   Apr 26, 2007 - 1:49 PM   
 By:   w-dervish   (Member)

I thought it was some kind of drink...

That would be schnapps, not snaps.

Schnapps: (in Europe) any strong, dry spirit, as slivovitz, aquavit, or kirsch.

Posted:   Apr 26, 2007 - 2:44 PM   
 By:   EdG   (Member)

I note that when Erich Kunzel recorded the theme on his "Round-Up" album, he went with the "Scottish Snaps" too. Was he working with copies of the same manuscript?

Posted:   Apr 26, 2007 - 2:59 PM   
 By:   Agent Norman Newman   (Member)

Is SSD1048 the same recording as 030?

Yes.

THe CD that is IN-PRINT in the *US* has the Bremner main title.

The CD that is IN-PRINT in the *UK* (with the cooler looking Yellowish-orangey cover) has the Raine main title.

The rest is exactly the same, though the UK reissue is supposed to have been remasterd. I have the UK version and its fine.

The late Dave Wishart pretty mcuh goes into detail about why the change was made for the uk reissue above in this thread.

Why Silva America hasn't opted to delete the older version and issue the new one with the remastered soudn is something I do not know, and it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

hope that helps
TJ