Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jul 7, 2024 - 6:45 AM   
 By:   Tobias   (Member)

October 9th 1997 was the worst day in my life. My brother became the victim of a drunk driver. A drunk driver who got sentenced to one year in prison....but got out after serving only 9 months. My brother did only reach the age of 28 years young. Today would have been his 55th birthday.

The thing is my dad who is (now retired) police officer was supposed to work that day but since my parents had their 30th wedding anniversary just two days prior so he had taken a few days off. If he had worked as he was supposed to do if he had not taken those few days off he would have ended up being the first police officer at the crash site.

This happened on a Thursday evening at half past 10. Two and half hours later it knocked on our door. It was 2 police officers and one priest.

Anyway have anyone of you had a family member who died way too early, perhaps because of an illness or something similar as my brother?

Posted:   Jul 7, 2024 - 7:27 AM   
 By:   Adam.   (Member)

My sister Jenny died at the age of 54 (in 2008) from emphysema brought on by many years of smoking. Her death was her choice.

By that I mean her lungs were so deteriorated that she was hooked up to a breathing apparatus for the rest of her life and she decided she didn't want to live that way anymore. She chose to have the plug pulled. Literally. After many weeks of discussion (including a lawyer) the plug was pulled and she began to suffocate slowly. It took about six hours. The last 90 minutes of her life she was in agony. Her breathing and gasping were so labored you could hear it down the hall of the hospital. Even if you really want to die your body fights to live if even only to relieve pain. My siblings and father were in tears hearing her suffering and found ourselves wishing she would die to end it all. She finally passed in the afternoon hours. I'll never forget that day and those horrible sounds. She left behind five sons.

My parents were heavy smokers for many years and suffered no ill effects and lived to their nineties. Go figure.

Posted:   Jul 7, 2024 - 8:10 AM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

Anyway have anyone of you had a family member who died way too early, perhaps because of an illness or something similar as my brother?

Yes.

Posted:   Jul 7, 2024 - 8:45 AM   
 By:   Prince Damian   (Member)

My brother ( the youngest of the four of us) died, 16 years ago ( almost to the month). He was 36. He'd had a couple of ops for a brain tumour, previous. He's was the only one who had a kid. He got buried just after her 3rd birthday.

Posted:   Jul 7, 2024 - 12:02 PM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

A brother passed away a day shy of two months old due to Spina Bifida. The next child was born three years later. They named him after the one lost. That was me!

Yes.

Aye, m’friend.

Posted:   Jul 9, 2024 - 4:44 PM   
 By:   edwzoomom   (Member)

My oldest brother Thomas died in 1965 at the age of 32. He had rheumatic fever as a toddler and it had damaged his heart. His wife was expecting and neither of them was aware of it at his passing. He passed quietly in his sleep.

Posted:   Jul 10, 2024 - 4:26 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

Wasn’t sure if I should contribute to this.

I had an older brother who died at 50 from cancer brought on by smoking. He started at 17 and was a chain smoker. By the time they discovered the cancer it had spread though out his body.

He elected chemo anyway. At first no big deal, but a few weeks in he had chronic diarrhea and vomiting from the treatment. He was very positive and believed he could will himself into recovery. He then got pneumonia and became very sick. More than he was.

They had to take him into surgery to open up his esophagus so he could breath. While on the table he went into cardiac arrest. He never made a DNR, so the doctors were forced into performing life saving measures on the operating table. They got his heart going again but he was now in a coma. Over the next two weeks he continued to decline and they said there was no chance of recovery so the plug was finally pulled and he died in a coma within 24 hours.

Every time I see a smoker I imagine the hell they’re going to go through some day. All that said, I can’t imagine being a child and losing a parent, or a parent losing a child.

Posted:   Jul 10, 2024 - 7:37 AM   
 By:   Ado   (Member)

Wasn’t sure if I should contribute to this.

I had an older brother who died at 50 from cancer brought on by smoking. He started at 17 and was a chain smoker. By the time they discovered the cancer it had spread though out his body.

He elected chemo anyway. At first no big deal, but a few weeks in he had chronic diarrhea and vomiting from the treatment. He was very positive and believed he could will himself into recovery. He then got pneumonia and became very sick. More than he was.

They had to take him into surgery to open up his esophagus so he could breath. While on the table he went into cardiac arrest. He never made a DNR, so the doctors were forced into performing life saving measures on the operating table. They got his heart going again but he was now in a coma. Over the next two weeks he continued to decline and they said there was no chance of recovery so the plug was finally pulled and he died in a coma within 24 hours.

Every time I see a smoker I imagine the hell they’re going to go through some day. All that said, I can’t imagine being a child and losing a parent, or a parent losing a child.

This sounds like some time has passed, but your are my FSM brother, I am sending my compassion, friend, and also to all the others here.

Posted:   Jul 10, 2024 - 1:10 PM   
 By:   Leo Nicols   (Member)

My Dad died on the 6th July 1980.... the same date as Ennio Morricone in 2020.

My deepest condolences to everyone here who has lost a member of their family, it's never an easy time.

Posted:   Jul 10, 2024 - 1:28 PM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

This sounds like some time has passed, but your are my FSM brother, I am sending my compassion, friend, and also to all the others here.

Thanks my friend. It has been a long time now and like you I pass on my condolences to everyone who’s had to deal with the loss of a family member.