Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   May 26, 2024 - 5:02 PM   
 By:   MotoMan   (Member)

A long while back a fellow soundtrack lover recommended John Boorman’s The Emerald Forest Original Motion Picture Soundtrack by Junior Homrich with Brian Gascoigne. It was released by Varese Sarabande VCD47251 and indicated as a 1985 published and copyright. I think it may be a somewhat unknown gem to some soundtrack and film score music lovers. A very interesting and enjoyable listening experience. Highly recommend by MotoMan.
Enjoy the music!

Posted:   May 26, 2024 - 6:50 PM   
 By:   Josh   (Member)

I love this score, so eerie and evocative. I saw the film in the theater as a kid and haven't watched it since (need to remedy that), but the CD is a favorite mood-setter while driving to the San Diego Zoo. big grin

Posted:   May 26, 2024 - 10:10 PM   
 By:   Michael_McMahan   (Member)

I love it too - listened to many times in my late teens. The final track is so cool. This was the 1st R rated movie my parents let me watch haha. I rewatched it again years later - I thought the movie was just ok.

I should listen to it again- it’s been awhile. Thanks for the reminder

Posted:   May 27, 2024 - 12:45 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

There have been a few threads on this over the years.

I have a nostalgic relationship the film, which I first saw on TV, I think, in the late 80s. I've tried to sample the soundtrack a few times, but it hasn't quite grabbed me on its own. A bit shrill. But it's ripe for another sampling; it's been many years since the last time.

Posted:   May 27, 2024 - 12:48 AM   
 By:   Ny   (Member)

I saw this movie a lot as a kid. It was being shown on hotel movie services and things like that as I travelled around the states with family. At the time I was transfixed by the atmosphere of 35mm and high-end cinematography, and would sit through any story even if I was too young to appreciate it. I also watched White Nights a lot during that trip, with Gregory Hines tap-dancing his way out of Soviet Russia. I cannot remember the score of course, but I do have a connection to the film, and I'm curious to revisit.

Posted:   May 27, 2024 - 2:59 AM   
 By:   steffromuk   (Member)

I love this score! I often listen to it still to this day. I watched the movie again last year ,and it didn't really age well. It's not bad but just OK.

I put this score and Horner's "Where the river runs black" in the same world.
I should also re-watch this one.

Posted:   May 27, 2024 - 8:13 AM   

I love this score! I often listen to it still to this day. I watched the movie again last year ,and it didn't really age well. It's not bad but just OK.

I put this score and Horner's "Where the river runs black" in the same world.
I should also re-watch this one.

Actually I put James Horner’s Where The River Runs Black in the same world as well. I love both these scores. I’m glad so many others appreciate and enjoy The Emerald Forest. Sometimes a reminder of a forgotten gem and a revisit is a refreshing and enjoyable listening experience.
Best regards,
MotoMan

Posted:   May 27, 2024 - 8:45 AM   
 By:   Paul MacLean   (Member)

Brian Gascoigne was mainly known as a session player at the time (he performed on The Dark Crystal).

Homrich was mainly responsible for the ethnic aspect of the music, while Gascoigne contributed the more melodic and "new agey" electronic elements. Gascoigne also wrote the main theme heard throughout the film.

Although the 1980s are mainly remembered for sci-fi / fantasy and John Hughes, there were a strikingly high number of movies set in South America at the time. Others have mentioned Where The River Runs Black above, and there was also Fitzcarraldo, Missing, The Mission, A Handful of Dust, Vibes, Moon Over Parador. Jacques Cousteau also produced his Amazon series in the 80s as well.

Posted:   May 27, 2024 - 1:56 PM   

Brian Gascoigne was mainly known as a session player at the time (he performed on The Dark Crystal).

Homrich was mainly responsible for the ethnic aspect of the music, while Gascoigne contributed the more melodic and "new agey" electronic elements. Gascoigne also wrote the main theme heard throughout the film.

Although the 1980s are mainly remembered for sci-fi / fantasy and John Hughes, there were a strikingly high number of movies set in South America at the time. Others have mentioned Where The River Runs Black above, and there was also Fitzcarraldo, Missing, The Mission, A Handful of Dust, Vibes, Moon Over Parador. Jacques Cousteau also produced his Amazon series in the 80s as well.

Thanks for mentioning The Dark Crystal as that is another soundtrack I would love to have one day. And thanks for the other titles which I am not familiar with as I may check them out one day. The Dark Crystal along with The Clash of the Titans and possibly The Black Cauldron are all titles I would like to get eventually on CD for my collection. I do have Moon Over Parador and The Mission and enjoy them both very much.

Posted:   May 27, 2024 - 3:32 PM   
 By:   Ado   (Member)

It is good film, i got on a real Boorman streak, and I enjoyed it.
The score is a good hybrid piece, moody

Posted:   May 28, 2024 - 12:18 PM   
 By:   Adm Naismith   (Member)

I like this album- it's so good, and so short.

The day I bought this at Tower records in Greenwich Village, (lordy- 30 yrs ago) I stood in the checkout line with a woman with a lovely accent who said she knew 'Yunior' Homrich. True Story.