Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Apr 19, 2024 - 6:52 AM   
 By:   John McMasters   (Member)

The film restorationist, Robert Harris, reviewed the new 4K "Aliens" on the Home Theater Forum and that thread makes for a fascinating and well informed and civil exchange of opinions that are all over the place. He actually liked the look as it added in grain so the image wasn't entirely scrubbed. But I remember being so engrossed by the film in a theater when I saw it on original release that I don't remember how grainy the image was. It was such a different experience than "Alien". These films are great, but I don't love them as some others do, so in theory I have no problem with Mr. Cameron tweaking the image to his liking -- as long as the original film elements are intact which I gather they are in this case. Of course, this new digital version will most likely become the standard one now for viewing. Maybe in the near future some enterprising rep house cinema will schedule a "Grain Festival -- all original prints, no digital files, no digital projection -- with original grain and colors intact for the first time ever in decades!!!" or something like that.

This new AI powered tool that Cameron used might, however, be very useful when dealing with films whose original elements have been destroyed or have deteriorated to such an extent that the prints that remain are no where near what the films should look like. I can see a potential use there?

Posted:   Apr 19, 2024 - 8:07 AM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

I reckon Cameron wants it to eventually look like Avatar.

Posted:   Apr 19, 2024 - 8:10 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

I reckon Cameron wants it to eventually look like Avatar.

I’m sure you’re a 100% right!

Posted:   Apr 24, 2024 - 4:43 AM   

Available digitally on iTunes for $4.99!

Posted:   Apr 24, 2024 - 4:52 AM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

I dislike grain, unless it' is intentionally used with an actual artistic purpose. But I dislike grain if it's there just because it was shot with little light. Obviously, the less light is used in photography, the more grain the image has, but that's a technical limitation, not an artistic choice, because you can't "choose" to not have grain. Well, maybe until now that is. So unless there are good reasons (and there are movies/photos that use grain to great effect), I am always for the sharpest, clearest possible image.

Posted:   Apr 24, 2024 - 5:03 AM   

Yeah, I agree. It’s like saying Blu Rays are to sharp and vibrant, films should look like VHS or DVD’s.

Posted:   Apr 24, 2024 - 10:44 AM   
 By:   David Sones (Allardyce)   (Member)

I watched Aliens 4K last week and thought it looked fantastic, certainly an improvement over the old blu. And man that movie is just timeless. As tense and exciting and thrilling as it ever was.

Looking forward to checking out The Abyss 4K soon.

Posted:   Apr 24, 2024 - 11:00 AM   

I grabbed the digital copy for $5 dollars. Can't beat that. I'm really curious what this looks like. Eventually I'll get it on disc.

Posted:   Apr 24, 2024 - 5:44 PM   
 By:   Ron Pulliam   (Member)

Robert Harris, at HomeTheaterForum, says "Yay!

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/a-few-words-about-aliens-in-4k-uhd/

Posted:   Apr 26, 2024 - 4:44 AM   
 By:   Scott McOldsmith   (Member)

I found it to be a very interesting version, visually. VERY sharp - sometimes I felt like it was somehow sharper than my actual vision. Especially the lab scenes. You see every pore, every scratch and line in the set pieces. No, it doesn't feel much like film anymore but it's the best digital cleanup I've ever seen.

I still prefer the 2011 blu ray but even that was altered to remove grain and futz with the color palette.

It's not ruined, but it's like - well - the Star Wars Original Trilogy. Not in terms of redone effects, but how the image looks recent rather than of its time.

How that impacts your enjoyment is a personal reaction.

Posted:   Apr 26, 2024 - 5:46 AM   
 By:   steffromuk   (Member)

I pretty much agree with this review.

I'll stick to my blu-ray version. It's way superior to this plastic wrap looking Upscale

Posted:   Apr 26, 2024 - 5:52 AM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

From the clips I've seen, this new remaster looks terrific. Might get the 4K, even though I aleady have the Blu-ray.

Posted:   Apr 26, 2024 - 7:06 AM   

I’ve read while 4K will be downgraded when viewed on a 1080p television the picture will still be better than watching a Blu Ray on a 1080p television. Is this true?

Posted:   Apr 26, 2024 - 9:21 AM   
 By:   steffromuk   (Member)

I’ve read while 4K will be downgraded when viewed on a 1080p television the picture will still be better than watching a Blu Ray on a 1080p television. Is this true?

it is true. the image feels more crisp

Posted:   Apr 26, 2024 - 10:05 AM   

it is true. the image feels more crisp

Cool, thxs!

Posted:   May 4, 2024 - 3:58 AM   

And now we have this!