Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Apr 15, 2024 - 7:18 PM   
 By:   ZapBrannigan   (Member)

My copy arrived today and I'm playing it. First note: this is no longer a case of "I bought it as a tie-in to The Six Million Dollar Man." Is that what I thought? That was crazy. Death of a Gunfighter is not a souvenir, it's a fantastic film score.

It's really hitting my sweet spot. Incredibly cool music. You know that feeling when you play something new, and it's so good you don't want to play anything else? I had it with Bear McCreary's Battlestar Galactica albums 20 years ago, and I'm having it now. This is the music I want.

Also, I'm thrilled to pieces with the sound quality! And I hadn't noticed when ordering that it would be in stereo, so that's another thing I'm happy about. I just assumed that movies were mono in 1969, and there was never an LP, so that would be that. But we got it in stereo. This CD is a grand slam. Really glad I bought it.

Posted:   Apr 15, 2024 - 7:54 PM   
 By:   Last Child   (Member)

I wonder if this series will ever include '60s titles like Costa's Madigan and Schifrin's Blindfold, as well as more obscure ones like Ernie Freeman's The Pink Jungle and Ralph Ferraro's The King's Pirate?

I totally second these titles as much desired unreleased scores...I would buy them all for sure.

The King's Pirate is appropriately floating around the pirate bays.

Posted:   Apr 15, 2024 - 8:22 PM   
 By:   Josh   (Member)

It's mind-boggling to me how many amazing releases La-La Land has brought us over the past two decades, both mainstream grails and buried treasures (like this one), once thought impossible...

And these releases don't just *poof* happen, either. They exist now because these guys had the gonads, guts, and gusto to turn their dreams into plans and put the plans into action with the crazy tenacity to see them through to the finish line, not to mention great fekkin taste in music.

My hat's off, gents, and thanks for keeping a smile on my ears all these years.

Posted:   Apr 17, 2024 - 10:31 AM   

Heard a rip of this and had to order it. Nice surprise hearing his "Night Gallery" music in track 28.
An unexpected perk is LLL is having a 25% sale which essentially covers shipping.

Posted:   Apr 18, 2024 - 2:14 AM   
 By:   Graham Watt   (Member)

Heard a rip of this and had to order it. Nice surprise hearing his "Night Gallery" music in track 28.
An unexpected perk is LLL is having a 25% sale which essentially covers shipping.

Can you identify the "Night Gallery" episode (or was it tracked into more than one)? I haven't received my copy yet, but that news is an added bonus.

Posted:   Apr 18, 2024 - 8:09 AM   

Can you identify the "Night Gallery" episode (or was it tracked into more than one)? I haven't received my copy yet, but that news is an added bonus.

It's prominently used in "Phantom Farmhouse." I assume they combined short cues for the cd, so in track "28. Come In / Hidden Valley" the first cue is about 18 seconds, the second cue a minute (which is the Night Gallery bit). There might be other music reused in NG, but nothing as iconic or easily recognizable. The first cue sounds familiar, but maybe it's just the vibe.

Posted:   Apr 18, 2024 - 8:44 AM   
 By:   Graham Watt   (Member)

Thanks LC! Sounds brill!

Posted:   Apr 18, 2024 - 9:37 AM   

I know it's self-indulgent to post here, but I coincidentally finished my Night Gallery room yesterday and the music came in handy.

Posted:   Apr 18, 2024 - 9:51 AM   
 By:   Rollin Hand   (Member)

It's prominently used in "Phantom Farmhouse." I assume they combined short cues for the cd, so in track "28. Come In / Hidden Valley" the first cue is about 18 seconds, the second cue a minute (which is the Night Gallery bit). There might be other music reused in NG, but nothing as iconic or easily recognizable.
Uploaded temporarily for educational purposes:
https://soundcloud.com/soundtrack_music/come-in-hidden-valley

Indeed, I validate that the last part of that track will be reworked in “The Phantom Farmhouse”, Dr. Jay.

Posted:   Apr 26, 2024 - 2:35 AM   
 By:   steffromuk   (Member)

I just received my copy this morning.
What a great album!

Going thru the booklet. I can't help but notice the absence of any photo of the ape women from Skullduggery.

My question for LLL: Was it intentional from you to not show them or was it a request from Universal?

And what was the reason?

Posted:   Apr 26, 2024 - 3:26 AM   

I just received my copy this morning.
What a great album!

Going thru the booklet. I can't help but notice the absence of any photo of the ape women from Skullduggery.

My question for LLL: Was it intentional from you to not show them or was it a request from Universal?

And what was the reason?

No ape women? If I had known, I'd have cancelled my order.

razz