Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Mar 1, 2024 - 4:22 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

I don’t know if Gary Burghoff liked working on M*A*S*H or not but I was surprised to learn years later he created some drama on set or wasn’t part of the gang.

Posted:   Mar 1, 2024 - 4:24 AM   

I’d say the entire supporting cast of Star Trek TOS loved and hated the show!

Posted:   Mar 2, 2024 - 4:23 AM   
 By:   Indy1981   (Member)

I don’t know if Gary Burghoff liked working on M*A*S*H or not but I was surprised to learn years later he created some drama on set or wasn’t part of the gang.

As contrarian as it is to admit it, my favourite M*A*S*H "era" is series 8-11, which were without Radar. The change in Radar from a wiser-than-his-years scrounger to the sudden, bizarre regression that befell the character never made sense to me and the character grew tiresome.

Of course, like most every other fan, I believe those first three series are brilliant, and I lament the years we lost when Trapper and Blake were gone.

Posted:   Mar 2, 2024 - 4:26 AM   

Although I've never read the book, Leonard Nimoy's "I Am Not Spock" must surely be a way of the actor attempting to distance himself from the character, no? I suppose if the job offers stopped coming in after the cancellation of Star Trek, Nimoy would have grown to despise the character he made famous.

Posted:   Mar 2, 2024 - 5:14 AM   

How are British actors able to block repeats of their old series?

Do any knowledgeable Brits here know why?

Posted:   Mar 2, 2024 - 6:55 AM   

Although I've never read the book, Leonard Nimoy's "I Am Not Spock" must surely be a way of the actor attempting to distance himself from the character, no? I suppose if the job offers stopped coming in after the cancellation of Star Trek, Nimoy would have grown to despise the character he made famous.

Yes, I believe he grew to hate "Spock" because that's basically all everyone saw him as and it almost ended his acting career. Of course that all changed when he was offered "the right price" to reprise his role. The on again and off again success of the movies opened doors for him like directing. So I guess in the end he came to peace with the character.

Posted:   Mar 2, 2024 - 9:40 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

I don't know if George Peppard hated being on The A-Team, he seemed to be happy with the career resurgence after his bouts of alcoholism. But he really couldn't stand working with Mr. T.

Various trivia items indicate he was hard to work with. Introduced on set, he said he was the asshole.

The cigars he smoked were real and from his own personal stock. He must have thought he was real hot shit.

Posted:   Mar 2, 2024 - 2:54 PM   
 By:   Eric Paddon   (Member)

I don't see much evidence that being Spock harmed Nimoy's acting career in the immediate post-Trek period. He went straight from Trek into a series that was already a bigger hit (MI) and then deliberately walked away from the big money that was giving him after two years so he could show his diversity elsewhere in things like doing "Fiddler On The Roof" in summer stock and still getting A-level guest shots like "Columbo."

By contrast the supporting players of Trek were the ones who were permanently typecast in their Trek roles for all intents and purposes and never had notable acting careers after that. Nichelle Nichols I have read was offered a chance to leave Trek after the second season to play the role of Peggy Fair on "Mannix" but was talked out of it by Roddenberry. She would have unquestionably had a much better and longer acting career if she'd made the move since "Mannix" ran until 1975.

Posted:   Mar 3, 2024 - 5:09 AM   

By contrast the supporting players of Trek were the ones who were permanently typecast in their Trek roles for all intents and purposes and never had notable acting careers after that. Nichelle Nichols I have read was offered a chance to leave Trek after the second season to play the role of Peggy Fair on "Mannix" but was talked out of it by Roddenberry. She would have unquestionably had a much better and longer acting career if she'd made the move since "Mannix" ran until 1975.

Gail Fisher's career hit the skids immediately with the end of Mannix, so Nichols having the role of the secretary would have only delayed the inevitable. I don't think Mannix star Mike Connors did all that much afterwards, either. There weren't even any Mannix TV movies, though he did reprise the role in an episode of Diagnosis: Murder, which I wouldn't mind watching.

Posted:   Mar 3, 2024 - 8:05 AM   
 By:   Scott McOldsmith   (Member)

Actually, not really, but the title made a lot of people feel that way. So much that he was compelled to write a follow up called "I am Spock."

The book just was an attempt to clarify that there's MORE to him than his most famous character. It also detailed why he became disenchanted with the role during the series run. Mostly because Spock became a catchphrase character after a while and also how Fred Freiberger didn't want his feedback.

But the book is very much a celebration of the character and how Spock influenced him.

Posted:   Mar 3, 2024 - 8:09 AM   
 By:   Scott McOldsmith   (Member)

Nichelle Nichols I have read was offered a chance to leave Trek after the second season to play the role of Peggy Fair on "Mannix" but was talked out of it by Roddenberry.

Or MLK, depending on what legend you believe. Nichelle missed a few episodes to singing engagements, but she was always replaced easily. Interestingly, always with a white woman.

I love the series and the cast, but everyone other than Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley and, arguably, Doohan were pretty much expendable. They were replaced often enough with no impact on the episodes.

Posted:   Mar 3, 2024 - 8:21 PM   

The "Mannix" story is on pages 5-6 of the Cushman book on Season 3 though unfortunately he doesn't footnote it. He says Bruce Geller wanted Nichols for the part but wouldn't sign her unless Roddenberry gave the okay and Roddenberry discouraged her from taking it. The MLK story has nothing to do with whether she would have joined "Mannix" or not.

Posted:   Mar 4, 2024 - 6:46 AM   

Nichelle Nichols I have read was offered a chance to leave Trek after the second season to play the role of Peggy Fair on "Mannix" but was talked out of it by Roddenberry.

Or MLK, depending on what legend you believe. Nichelle missed a few episodes to singing engagements, but she was always replaced easily. Interestingly, always with a white woman.

I love the series and the cast, but everyone other than Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley and, arguably, Doohan were pretty much expendable. They were replaced often enough with no impact on the episodes.

I always got excited when ever Star Trek opened on the bridge and she wasn't there. That's because I knew it was the Doomsday Machine episode, a favorite of mine as a kid. At the same time I was always sad she wasn't in that episode.

Posted:   Mar 4, 2024 - 10:13 AM   
 By:   ZapBrannigan   (Member)

Ted Cassidy hated playing Bigfoot so much, he was delighted when The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman were both canceled in 1978. Apparently the teddy bear costume was too hot and he was miserable in it, but he didn't feel confident enough to turn down jobs. So he had to do it when offered.

Posted:   Mar 4, 2024 - 10:30 AM   
 By:   eriknelson   (Member)

The Carol Burnett show was one of a kind. You can tell the supporting cast adored Carol and loved working on the show. They were a family. Carol has said that she always made sure everyone had their chance to shine. The "Sorry" skit is one of my favorites.

Posted:   Mar 4, 2024 - 12:21 PM   

Ted Cassidy hated playing Bigfoot so much, he was delighted when The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman were both canceled in 1978. Apparently the teddy bear costume was too hot and he was miserable in it, but he didn't feel confident enough to turn down jobs. So he had to do it when offered.

That's only two guest shots though (he didn't even play the character the first time. That was Andre the Giant).

Your use of the term "teddy bear" though reminds me that the second Bigfoot episode (and first with Cassidy) had the WORST case of blatant network cross-promotion in a scripted line I ever heard that had me throwing things at the set. When Steve Austin discovers the aliens have made Bigfoot docile, he then says a line that rationally should have been, "You turned him into a great big teddy bear?" Instead the line that came out was, "You turned him into a great big HUGGY bear?"

Gee, did "Starsky And Hutch" need *that* much plugging?