Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Mar 20, 2024 - 12:03 PM   
 By:   jwb1   (Member)

I think making Star Wars depend on martial arts light sabre duels reveals a lack of understanding what Star Wars was about.

Lucas literally started it with the more acrobatic Jedi stuff in PM.

Posted:   Mar 20, 2024 - 1:32 PM   
 By:   DavidCoscina   (Member)

This reminds me of that utterly misguided 2001 film, The Musketeer, where they brought in some kung-fu master to lead the stunt choreography. Actually, come to think of it, I think it was the Matrix choreographer (correct me if I'm wrong) and used that as their only marketing strategy. No amount of cool kung fu sh*t can fix a film with a poor screenplay. This new Star Wars venture looks yawn-riffic.

-Erik-

Yup, hard pass here.

Posted:   Mar 20, 2024 - 1:42 PM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

Lucas experimented. For three films. These people have been doing it in film after film after film, in TV series after TV series, after TV series, for year after year after year and have refined it and made it common and so over-the-top this trailer looked like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon only with Star Wars.

Posted:   Mar 20, 2024 - 11:12 PM   
 By:   nuts_score   (Member)

OK Star Wars fans, I officially give up. How should the Jedi of the High Republic interface with combat? This is a group of highly skilled individuals who utilize a supernatural aura called "the Force" to bend physics, reality, and powers to their wills. They specialize in using a bladed saber to duel other Force-wielders who harbor "the Dark Side of the Force" who wish to bring disruption to peace, harmony, and complacent democratic rule. How on God's green earth should these magical make believe sorcerer knights do battle, according to everything you have witnessed in this godforsaken franchise for morons?

Posted:   Mar 21, 2024 - 12:04 AM   
 By:   Rick15   (Member)

Awkwardly

Posted:   Mar 21, 2024 - 12:09 AM   
 By:   Rick15   (Member)

But preferably like this.....

Posted:   Mar 21, 2024 - 12:45 AM   
 By:   johnbijl   (Member)

But maybe I'm just too old for this.

Just how old are you then?! big grin

I was in the cinema when The Phantom Menace premiered and people of my age *and older* absolutely cheered when Darth Maul was doing flips. Perhaps you can imagine how it sounded when Obi-Wan jumped five meters. From a trench. From only a hand grasp. Over the bad guy. And than cut him in half.

I thought this trailer was promising. And after The Run from Nope, I’m really looking foreward to a Star Wars score from Abels.

Posted:   Mar 21, 2024 - 1:32 AM   
 By:   Willgoldnewtonbarrygrusin   (Member)

But maybe I'm just too old for this.

Just how old are you then?! big grin

I was in the cinema when The Phantom Menace premiered and people of my age *and older* absolutely cheered when Darth Maul was doing flips. Perhaps you can imagine how it sounded when Obi-Wan jumped five meters. From a trench. From only a hand grasp. Over the bad guy. And than cut him in half.

I thought this trailer was promising. And after The Run from Nope, I’m really looking foreward to a Star Wars score from Abels.

I'm old enough to have seen STAR WARS in a movie theatre, and it was a magical experience which changed my life.

This trailer just had nothing magical for me - just the usual beats.

But I feel the same about the upcoming ALIEN:Romulus.

The difference between movies back then and now is this: the originals were like a romance between adults taking their time for build up, the new films are just teenage-getting to third base fast-constructs.

Posted:   Mar 21, 2024 - 2:36 AM   

The difference between movies back then and now is this: the originals were like a romance between adults taking their time for build up, the new films are just teenage-getting to third base fast-constructs.

And yet there's people who complain that Andor (and a lot of other shows) moves at too slow a pace. I've read the same about Dune.

Posted:   Mar 21, 2024 - 3:14 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

I guess Carrie-Ann Moss looks cool as a Jedi... but I want more from Star Wars than things/people looking cool. I want substance. To me it was always about the compelling fight against fascism, dressed up in an exciting sci-fi package...not just action figures facing off. That's why Andor is my favorite Star Wars... the prison arc I love even more than The Empire Strikes Back.

This very much feels like Star Wars that learned from The Phantom Menace that certain fans only care about having a fancy overly-choreographed lightsaber fight. I must be one of the few Star Wars fans who hated that part of that movie too. I got no emotion from that duel; I didn't care about the characters in the slightest, I wasn't worried about them, and I wasn't invested at all. It was boring. The duel between Vader and Obi-Wan in the original Star Wars, as physically clunky as it was, is far superior to me. Because it felt like it was about something. Characters and their past relationship. Philosophical jabs. Sacrifice so that others could escape.

This is honestly something that the prequels failed at miserably, and the sequels actually succeeded at (well, until Rise of Skywalker maybe)! Yes, lightsaber fights are cool but if they're just flashy waving around of light swords and nothing more, I get desensitized real quick.

I'm still curious to check this out because of Michael Abels, but that trailer was a pretty big disappointment. Oh well. Andor Season 2 is coming eventually.

Yavar

Posted:   Mar 21, 2024 - 5:16 PM   

But preferably like this.....

Rick, I want you to know I appreciated your responses tremendously. big grin

Posted:   Mar 21, 2024 - 5:21 PM   

I guess Carrie-Ann Moss looks cool as a Jedi... but I want more from Star Wars than things/people looking cool. I want substance. To me it was always about the compelling fight against fascism, dressed up in an exciting sci-fi package...not just action figures facing off. That's why Andor is my favorite Star Wars... the prison arc I love even more than The Empire Strikes Back.

This very much feels like Star Wars that learned from The Phantom Menace that certain fans only care about having a fancy overly-choreographed lightsaber fight. I must be one of the few Star Wars fans who hated that part of that movie too. I got no emotion from that duel; I didn't care about the characters in the slightest, I wasn't worried about them, and I wasn't invested at all. It was boring. The duel between Vader and Obi-Wan in the original Star Wars, as physically clunky as it was, is far superior to me. Because it felt like it was about something. Characters and their past relationship. Philosophical jabs. Sacrifice so that others could escape.

This is honestly something that the prequels failed at miserably, and the sequels actually succeeded at (well, until Rise of Skywalker maybe)! Yes, lightsaber fights are cool but if they're just flashy waving around of light swords and nothing more, I get desensitized real quick.

I'm still curious to check this out because of Michael Abels, but that trailer was a pretty big disappointment. Oh well. Andor Season 2 is coming eventually.

Yavar

Took the words from my mouth, Yavar. I am mostly over here confused why people are befuddled by the fight choreography. But I forgot to share that this trailer does nothing whatsoever for me. It looks flat and redundant. In my mind, in my lifelong love of Star Wars, I expect something with more grand ambition in telling a story set before the now miserably boring story of the Skywalker Saga. Like you, I loved Andor because its ambition delivered a focused story about surviving the Empire. And it grounded it to a relatable substance that often resembled a great Zorro story as much as it resembled Star Wars. It helped that it looked, moved, and sounded truly cinematic while still retaining the sense of small screen storytelling with its focus on characters and long-form arcs.

Maybe this can surprise me. I can't make much of the trailer other than it seems like the stuff people tell me they like about Star Wars but then instantly reject once they see it in action.

Posted:   Mar 23, 2024 - 4:58 AM   

I give you all in consideration that the impact of the original trilogy benefits from the acting talents of Mark Hamill. Especially in Empire he is the *only* visible actor in key scenes on Dagobah and the light saber battle on Bespin. Same can be said of A New Hope. Hamill’s character isn’t in the fight, but him watching and reacting strengthens the scene.

The gravitas of those sequences came from the acting of Hamill. Different choreography wouldn’t have changed that (though one might add that the focus on fight skills would have given less attention to Hamill’s acting, but still).

Also, and I’m just gonna say it, the fighting scenes in Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith are over-scored. Williams seemed more busy with writing a self-conscious concert worthy piece than scoring the scene. I’m sure this was under direction of Lucas, but it sure shifts the focus to ‘coolness’ and lessens the urgency of those fights. The Anakin-Dooku battle in Clones fares way better, but comparing them to Empire the differences in direction (and the acting capabilities) shows for it.

Of course I cannot speak for Acolyte and how it balances choreography and storytelling. Let’s hope the force will guide the storytelling.

Posted:   Mar 23, 2024 - 5:33 AM   
 By:   CindyLover   (Member)

Crouching Series, Hidden Yawn.

So it's a Star Wars version of Jane Austen?

Posted:   Mar 23, 2024 - 5:33 AM   
 By:   CindyLover   (Member)

The DP problem striking again makes hope for a version of Little Women with martial arts. (I know that's not Jane Austen).