Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Feb 15, 2024 - 1:50 PM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

And as for you, spook?

Posted:   Feb 15, 2024 - 2:39 PM   
 By:   spook   (Member)

I know its not your thing Thor but the Pet Semetary score was never one i appreciated on its initial release UNTIL the expansion that LLL released a while back. Its was a totally different musical listening experience for me and i loved it.

Seems to me you are talking about the soundtrack. How was the score in the film?

Yes, i liked the score in the film. Its just a film Ive often gone back and forward on as to how much i actually liked it. Sometimes I've been in the mood for it thinking it was pretty great and others I've found it to be a bit ‘clunky’ ( as Thor said though, still much better than the remake)
At the time i did think the children's vocal stuff was a bit of an Amityville rip off but i thought the rest of the score was very effective and interesting in the movie. When i bought the original cd at the time though i was a bit disappointed and just thought it didn’t play that well as a listening experience. It almost seemed to ‘cheapen’ the score i’d remembered in the film and it was one i never went back to. When i bought the expansion i seemed to find so much more in listening to it from start to finish and really appreciated the way the score developed with the inclusion of those extra bits. Strange maybe but there you go.
What do you think about it Howard?

Posted:   Feb 15, 2024 - 6:22 PM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

Only seen snippets. But thank you for taking the time to elaborate. It sometimes gets confusing about the score v. soundtrack thing. Nice response.

Posted:   Feb 15, 2024 - 6:27 PM   
 By:   GoblinScore   (Member)

Loving this discussion, and had to add....where do I stand if I saw/heard/adore Goldenthal's PET when I was 13....and dint hear/see AMITYVILLE til 2000 something???

Both are quite different and brilliant...except, yes, shame EG on the temp-fu.

I blame Mary Lambert. Who's bringing pitchforks with me!?

Posted:   Feb 16, 2024 - 3:02 PM   
 By:   spook   (Member)

Loving this discussion, and had to add....where do I stand if I saw/heard/adore Goldenthal's PET when I was 13....and dint hear/see AMITYVILLE til 2000 something???

Lol! Maybe she just loved Lalo’s tune so much. The whole children singing thing is so much a part of horror films now. I doubt if Lalo was the first but it was one of the most effective.
Personally i don’t think you can beat Jonathan Elias’ taken on it for CHILDREN OF THE CORN ( although i was stunned how badly he dropped the ball in scoring the remake!) His original is just brilliant though in its dreamy quality all through whilst mixing in the choral stuff with the sunth style. Love ‘ burning the cornfield’ %!
Also has to be said how great Chris Young’s score for the PET SEMETERY remake was and one of the best things about that film. He’s still such a leader in horror scoring and still producing different and interesting styles instead of just churning out the same stuff. His score for SINISTER was something else, although admittedly not for everyone.

Posted:   Feb 16, 2024 - 3:14 PM   
 By:   GoblinScore   (Member)

Lol! Maybe she just loved Lalo’s tune so much. The whole children singing thing is so much a part of horror films now. I doubt if Lalo was the first but it was one of the most effective.
Personally i don’t think you can beat Jonathan Elias’ taken on it for CHILDREN OF THE CORN ( although i was stunned how badly he dropped the ball in scoring the remake!) His original is just brilliant though in its dreamy quality all through whilst mixing in the choral stuff with the sunth style. Love ‘ burning the cornfield’ %!
Also has to be said how great Chris Young’s score for the PET SEMETERY remake was and one of the best things about that film. He’s still such a leader in horror scoring and still producing different and interesting styles instead of just churning out the same stuff. His score for SINISTER was something else, although admittedly not for everyone.

I haven't deep dived if Lalo was 'First In Creepy Kids' choral scoring (that's a title ya want!), but it would be an interesting history-trace.

Elias' Kids in the Corn is terrific. The (sadly oop) Varese club had a great interview where he discusses the score's creation and John Barry as the man who landed him the gig, along with tutoring.
The thought of Barry listening to Elias demos' for that project always warms my heart. Then they did JAGGED EDGE, quite effective short score that one.

Young - another top top fave of mine, and I agree. He nailed his turn at 'Church' and I enjoy the album. I was blackout angry watching the film unfortunately....

SINSTER is terrific! If you're going to sound design-shock land....folks need to study Young. Too bad Boards of Canada kinda stole his thunder in the film, with the use of their pre-existing songs.

Posted:   Feb 18, 2024 - 5:51 PM   
 By:   drop_forge   (Member)

Posted:   Feb 18, 2024 - 6:14 PM   
 By:   Timothy J. Phlaps   (Member)

Speaking of PET SEMATARY, Mark Governor's PET SEMATARY TWO rocks absolute balls.

Posted:   Feb 18, 2024 - 6:16 PM   
 By:   robby   (Member)

Alien is my favorite spooky movie score. I just love it.