Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
This is a comments thread about Blog Post: Oscar Predictions and Other End Of 2023 Lists by Scott Bettencourt

Posted:   Jan 20, 2024 - 1:57 PM   
 By:   SBD   (Member)

Always a good point in January when this post shows up.

Least favorite films of 2023

Fool’s Paradise. It really seemed like Charlie Day wanted to get his own shot at Being There and while it, too, ultimately slams into the ‘one-joke movie’ wall, I thought the cast was great fun to watch, especially Adrien Brody and the much-missed Ray Liotta.

Knock at the Cabin. Okay, this one hurts. I thought it was quite entertaining. With this movie, Dave Bautista proved that he is no longer a wrestler turned actor; he is an actor who happened to do some wrestling in his younger days.

The Super Mario Brothers Movie. Now, I didn’t quite love the film, but if it had eased way the hell off of the needle drops and especially the slow motion (seriously, did Zack Snyder ghost-direct this thing?), it definitely could’ve been Spider-Verse level for me. If nothing else, I really enjoyed the contributions from Jack Black and Brian Tyler.

Favorite things from the movies of 2023

To be honest, I was reticent about seeing John Wick: Chapter 4 Hours Long in a theater once I learned about the running time. I caught up with it months later on Redbox and while I still feel that two hours and 50 minutes for a movie like this is a perfect example of filmmakers getting high on their own supply, I concur about the action scenes.

Ezra Miller in The Flash. Back in the fall of 2012, I saw The Perks of Being a Wallflower, which left me with two takeaways: a) I would’ve killed to have friends like Sam and Patrick in high school and b) Miller’s fantastic performance augurs an impressive acting career. While b) is very much up in the air, a) still holds true for a man on the wrong side of 40. Also, I thought Miller was the unquestioned highlight of Joss Whedon‘s Justice League. All that said, I’m not sure if it was the writing or the TMZ headlines he’s accrued robbing him of his ability to be charismatic on screen, but he just annoyed the piss out of me in this movie as regular Barry and past Barry…and the sad thing is that, even with that hanging around the movie, he’s still not even on my top 10 list of complaints about it.

I also loved the very ending of Killers of the Flower Moon, but more for the prankish sensibility of its presence. I mean, it takes real fortitude to end your heavy historical drama on this note.