Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Apr 11, 2024 - 2:26 AM   
 By:   Stephen Woolston   (Member)

LLL use normal jewel cases. They don't use special cheap ones designed specifically to crack.

It is a sad reality of jewel cases that they are easy to crack, and they can crack in transit.

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a hardened or crackproof jewel case at any price.

The labels could double or triple wrap them (and escalate the shipping charges, which people would no doubt also complain about) and still get a cracked disc, especially if it's an international order.

Most of my orders from all labels arrive uncracked, but every so often I have to replace a jewel case.

I don't make the supplier do that. It makes the expense and delay stupid. I just have a stock of replacement cases. Cost me something like $5 for 10.

If a package gets so badly damaged in transit that the disc or booklet get damaged, I would request a replacement. That's fair enough. However, that has never happened to me. It's only ever been cracked case, when it happens at all.

Perhaps the labels should start using digipacks, or thin fold-out packaging that keeps it all card and no plastic.

Is that something you'd like them to do? If so, say so.

Cheers

Posted:   Apr 11, 2024 - 3:20 AM   
 By:   Spymaster   (Member)

It's not that the cases break - I rarely, if ever, get a LLL case that's broken - they just look and feel cheap, and often have scrape marks or scratches on them (a minor issue, in the grand scheme of things).

Varese cases feel more "expensive", but are far more prone to breaking.

Posted:   Apr 11, 2024 - 5:26 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

How can you even tell between quality jewel cases or shoddy ones?
I purchased a package of jewel cases from Best Buy or Office Depot and they’re garbage. The lids won’t lock shut, the discs fall out, the paperwork falls out too.

Meanwhile I purchased a random package of jewel cases off of Amazon and they are much better quality and do the job.

Besides it’s not like LLL purchases the jewel cases the factory uses in producing the physical product.

Posted:   Apr 11, 2024 - 6:37 AM   
 By:   Captain_Kaos   (Member)

Nearly every jewel case from LLL, FSM a. o. has scratches or more. I can cope with it. The bigger problem is, that I have more and more problems to get the CDs out of the tray. (I destroyed my "Star Wars Episode IV" CD 1 this way recently.) The biggest problems I had was with FSM's "Ben Hur" 5-CD-set and LLL's "Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan". I didn't have such problems in the 90's.

Posted:   Apr 11, 2024 - 8:55 AM   

That's weird, Koas. The CDs I order come shrinkwrapped, and that protects them from scratches.

Like I said, I do sometimes get a cracked case, but only occassionally, but never a scratched case because of the shrink wrap.

I agree though that in the past I've had tough times getting discs off the spindles in 2CD or more packages.

Not recently though.

Cheers

Posted:   Apr 11, 2024 - 9:12 AM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

Nearly every jewel case from LLL, FSM a. o. has scratches or more. I can cope with it. The bigger problem is, that I have more and more problems to get the CDs out of the tray. (I destroyed my "Star Wars Episode IV" CD 1 this way recently.) The biggest problems I had was with FSM's "Ben Hur" 5-CD-set and LLL's "Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan". I didn't have such problems in the 90's.

Yes. Quality control issues are becoming more and more common. Back in the 80s a huge plant opened here in Québec - Disque Americ - and the CDs pressed there, Masters Film Music among others, still look brand new and play perfectly nearly 4 decades later.

The place looked like a bio-lab and the employees wore what I can only describe as hazmat suits. Somehow, I think that the kind of care they applied to manufacturing CDs is probably scarce now.

Posted:   Apr 13, 2024 - 2:37 AM   
 By:   Dave Norris   (Member)

Oh FFS! Somebody lock this and the Octopussy thread once and for all!

We have gone from complaining about mixes to jewel cases. (personally I’ve not had a jewel case issue for about 20 years from any of the major labels-if anyone is even mildly interested).

This is scraping the toxic barrel to an all time low. Does anyone actually appreciate the work that goes into just one release?
You really don’t deserve any of this stuff issued and handed on a plate to you so you can just pull everyone’s hard work to bits

It’s fucking shameful!

Posted:   Apr 13, 2024 - 2:45 AM   

Well said, Dave.

The work that went into these and other releases is enormous. So many hurdles to overcome. The big labels wouldn't have bothered. Left to their own devices, the big labels would have just released the same old album masters. It takes a lot of time, effort, and money to get these things out.

And then when people complain about how they don't agree with the mix, or that the hinge on their jewel case squeaks, or that they stubbed their toe picking the package up from the mailbox. or whatever else it is that must sully everybody's joy that something came out, it must be so dispiriting to the labels.

I think if I was LLL, I'd just say, “Do you know what? Screw it. You can sing for your unreleased scores.”

Fortunately for us, they keep going despite the complaining.

Cheers

Posted:   Apr 13, 2024 - 4:07 AM   

Like I said, I do sometimes get a cracked case, but only occassionally, but never a scratched case because of the shrink wrap.

Cases get scratched and scraped before they get sealed inside the shrink wrap. They're just badly manufactured by some companies. As with many discs these days.

Posted:   Apr 13, 2024 - 4:11 AM   

And then when people complain about how they don't agree with the mix, or that the hinge on their jewel case squeaks, or that they stubbed their toe picking the package up from the mailbox. or whatever else it is that must sully everybody's joy that something came out, it must be so dispiriting to the labels.

Well let's forget discussion and debate in favour of the other option: "I played it. It was good. Next!"

So, I played this, it was good. Next?

Posted:   Apr 13, 2024 - 4:16 AM   
 By:   Cameron007   (Member)

There's a difference between debating and beating a dead horse.

Posted:   Apr 13, 2024 - 4:31 AM   

There's a difference between debating and beating a dead horse.

Dead horse beaten. Next?

Posted:   Apr 13, 2024 - 6:11 AM   
 By:   panavision   (Member)

Oh FFS! Somebody lock this and the Octopussy thread once and for all!

We have gone from complaining about mixes to jewel cases. (personally I’ve not had a jewel case issue for about 20 years from any of the major labels-if anyone is even mildly interested).

This is scraping the toxic barrel to an all time low. Does anyone actually appreciate the work that goes into just one release?
You really don’t deserve any of this stuff issued and handed on a plate to you so you can just pull everyone’s hard work to bits

It’s fucking shameful!

If consumers want to complain about something they are unhappy with it, they should. Sometimes something useful can be gleaned for the producers, sometimes not.

And you are basing this on a few posts in this thread. Vast majority are most likely happy with this release. And LLL have sold a ton of product.

If consumers buy it, LLL will release more when they get the go ahead.

In business you have to develop a thick skin and accept that not everyone sees it the way you do.

Posted:   Apr 13, 2024 - 8:11 AM   
 By:   Prince Damian   (Member)

I bought it. I've played it.I like it. No whining.

Posted:   Apr 13, 2024 - 8:33 AM   
 By:   Peter Greenhill   (Member)

I'm very happy with both Live and Let Die and Octopussy and appreciate the work put in to deliver these releases BUT we did pay for them. LLL aren't giving them away for free, so people can express an opinion about the releases. This is a discussion group and fair criticism, appropriatly expressed should be acceptable.