Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Dec 8, 2023 - 2:10 PM   
 By:   Indy1981   (Member)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/ryan-oneal-dead-love-story-paper-moon-1235730468/

Posted:   Dec 8, 2023 - 2:33 PM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

Damn, that is sad.
I liked all of his work over the years--a solid actor.

RIP.

Posted:   Dec 8, 2023 - 3:33 PM   
 By:   DJS   (Member)

Very saddened by this. One of my all time favorite actors. Coincidentally, I started helping a friend this week with a Blu-ray commentary for an upcoming release of his. I'm going to have to record a four-film tribute piece using themes from my top four favorite O'Neal films.

Posted:   Dec 8, 2023 - 6:36 PM   
 By:   Valiant65   (Member)

I didn't really become of fan of his as an actor until I saw "Barry Lyndon". Then I went back to "What's Up Doc?" & "Paper Moon", and even "Love Story" and really appreciated his work. And he really solidified his acting chops with his under-rated "The Driver". No doubt he had a very nice, varied career that most actors would be envious of.

Posted:   Dec 9, 2023 - 12:17 AM   
 By:   Bill Carson, Earl of Poncey   (Member)

Barry Lyndon was the one.
The pretty boy from Love Story could act, was the realisation.
Didn't realise he had been in Peyton Place.
I see he survived 2 bouts of cancer in the 2000s.

Posted:   Dec 9, 2023 - 10:03 AM   
 By:   msmith   (Member)

"Lovely Story"

Harvey Korman did a great impersonation of Ryan in a Carol Burnett skit of the film "Love Story"

Rest in peace Ryan.

Posted:   Dec 9, 2023 - 10:14 AM   

Barry Lyndon was the one.
The pretty boy from Love Story could act, was the realisation.

It must have really lit a fire under his arse to have got an Oscar nomination, and to still not be considered by many to be a "real" actor. O'Neal was outstanding in "Barry Lyndon."

One could do a lot worse in life than to have looked like Ryan O'Neal, have a most interesting film career, to have been involved with many lovely ladies, and to live to the relatively "old" age of 82.

Posted:   Dec 9, 2023 - 1:56 PM   

(Well, someone had to post it here)

Posted:   Dec 9, 2023 - 2:39 PM   
 By:   oregstevens   (Member)

Ever stalwart as Rodney Harrington on ABC's Peyton Place, appearing in 501 episodes (bested only by Barbara Parkins at 514.)

Posted:   Dec 9, 2023 - 5:00 PM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

It was the scenes with Ray Milland in LS that sold him for me. The palpable tension between affluent, conservative Dad and university son who was expected to take a traditonal path within his "station" rang true.

Posted:   Dec 10, 2023 - 5:39 AM   

It was the scenes with Ray Milland in LS that sold him for me. The palpable tension between affluent, conservative Dad and university son who was expected to take a traditonal path within his "station" rang true.

By 1970, this certainly must have been the last gasp of such a dynamic, unless one was part of the elite of American society, a trope which was better touched upon in "The Graduate", which imo remains one of the finest American films ever made.

I suppose the sugary tit of daddy's money must have made for some tough decisions for many a Baby Boomer.

Kidding. Of course most would do what the money says.

Posted:   Dec 10, 2023 - 12:46 PM   
 By:   eriknelson   (Member)

"Lovely Story"

Harvey Korman did a great impersonation of Ryan in a Carol Burnett skit of the film "Love Story"

Rest in peace Ryan.

I remember that sketch when it first aired. Back in the day Carol Burnett was truly appointment television.

Posted:   Dec 11, 2023 - 3:56 AM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

Ryan O'Neal was by all accounts a pretty wretched human being, but there is no denying he starred in some good movies. May he rest in peace.

Posted:   Dec 11, 2023 - 4:48 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Ryan O'Neal was by all accounts a pretty wretched human being, but there is no denying he starred in some good movies. May he rest in peace.

I wasn't aware of that, so I had to google it. Yes, pretty terrible history there. But he had some great performances on-screen, especially in BARRY LYNDON, of course - a stunning film on so many levels.

Posted:   Dec 11, 2023 - 10:06 AM   
 By:   DJS   (Member)

It's sad to see so many posts on social media drag him through the mud by randos who didn't know him. His own daughter who went through all those rocky times has obviously forgiven him.

"Me & my kids loved you so much, daddy. You’ll forever be in my heart. ????? Keep each other close, everyone. Life is a journey."

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0sQ4j-vJ6X/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=loading

The guy was rough around the edges (and he stole my childhood super hero's wife lol!) but he sure made some classic films with classic scores I will remember forever.

Posted:   Dec 11, 2023 - 10:43 AM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

It's sad to see so many posts on social media drag him through the mud by randos who didn't know him. His own daughter who went through all those rocky times has obviously forgiven him.

Not sure what you are referring to; incidents of O'Neals misbehavior are abundant, over the years consistent, and widely reported by many people close to him, so it’s not accusations by random people on the Internet. So even in the context of his passing it's perfectly valid to point out that he was a deeply problematic person. I have no personal beef with O'Neal and still enjoy some movies that he did. But just because he died and his daughter forgave him (which I knew and is nice to know) doesn't mean one shouldn't mention that the guy had quite a dark side far removed from the sunny-boy image he projected in many of his films. I always liked O'Neal's screen persona, and his long and complicated relationship with Farrah Fawcett showed that he could also be extremely loyal and decent.

Posted:   Dec 13, 2023 - 3:16 AM   

I'm strictly a "judge the art, not the artist" kind of fellow.

Posted:   Dec 13, 2023 - 6:49 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

He was a star while I was growing up. I know the name and face but I don't recall what work of his Ive seen if anything. RIP.

Posted:   Dec 14, 2023 - 6:06 PM   
 By:   Sir David of Garland   (Member)

Took off nearly alla his clothes in the name of art.

Gawdluvvim.

Posted:   Dec 15, 2023 - 12:16 AM   
 By:   Tobias   (Member)

For me personally I will remember him for 2 things primary: First off the movie So Fine and secondly the TV-Series Bones. Yes I have seen him in other films too but it is those two projects that I mainly think of when thinking of him. R.I.P.