Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Dec 9, 2023 - 2:39 AM   
 By:   TheAvenger   (Member)

Some people on this board are idiots for having fits over changes to historical figures that so far I haven't seen.

Using examples of potentially dumb casting to illustrate actual dumb casting isn’t idiotic. It’s called analogy.

Posted:   Dec 9, 2023 - 2:52 AM   
 By:   Ian J.   (Member)

I have a problem when well known history is subverted for any reason. Casting anyone in a role who is not suitable for that role in the known historical context is wrong, and as others have said, what if it were the 'other way round', as it used to be all those years ago with Olivier playing Othello (?) or back in history where men played women in Shakespeare's plays?

Except with parody and comedy, where anything is potentially up for grabs, arguably.

If they want to provide suitable parts for Indian actors in historical contexts, write and shoot stories about Indian history.

If they want to provide 'colour-blind' casting, write stories that have characters suited to that.

Stop trying to change history to something it wasn't.

Posted:   Dec 9, 2023 - 4:30 AM   
 By:   MD   (Member)

updated

Posted:   Dec 9, 2023 - 4:51 AM   
 By:   Indy1981   (Member)

I always thought that Matt Damon would have made for a great cinematic Martin Luther King.

I always thought Matt Damon would have made for a great cinematic Rosa Parkes.

Hours ago, when I wrote that post, it was with the best intentions. I posted that with a progressive, diversity-oriented mindset.

Now, hours later, the even more progressive, diversity-oriented mindset of your post will make my post look reactionary by comparison.

Yesterday's progressive is today's reactionary.

Talking of MLK, a woman was stopped while attempting to set the home of King's birth on fire:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/woman-tried-burn-martin-luther-king-jr-birth-home-atlanta-gasoline-pol-rcna128730