Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Dec 8, 2023 - 9:50 AM   
 By:   dragon53   (Member)

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 8

NUREMBERG---Russell Crowe, Rami Malek and Michael Shannnon will star in the movie based on the book THE NAZI AND THE PSYCHIATRIST set during the Nuremberg war crime trials. Malek plays American psychiatrist Douglas Kelley, who must determine which Nazi prisoners are fit for trial, including former Luftwaffe commander Hermann Goering, played by Crowe. Shannon plays chief prosecutor Supreme Court Judge Robert H. Jackson.

DUNE: PART THREE---Denis Villeneuve commented on the status of PART THREE, “The screenplay is almost finished but it is not finished. It will take a little time …There’s a dream of making a third movie … it would make absolute sense to me … I don’t know exactly when I will go back to Arrakis. I might make a detour before just to go away from the sun. For my mental sanity, I might do something in between, but my dream would be to go a last time on this planet that I love.”
He added, “For me, this film is much better than PART ONE. There’s something more alive in it. There’s a relationship to the characters. I was trying to reach for an intensity and a quality of emotions that I didn’t reach with PART ONE and that I did reach with PART TWO. I’m not saying the film is perfect, but I’m much more happy with PART TWO than I was with PART ONE. I can not wait to share it with the fans and the moviegoers.”

BEST OF ENEMIES---Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper will star in the movie based on the spy book BEST OF ENEMIES: THE LAST GOOD SPY STORY OF THE COLD WAR.

NO GOOD DEED---Ray Romano will star in the Netflix comedy series about three families competing against each other to buy their dream house, a 1920s villa in Los Angeles.

DOCTOR WHO---casting director Andy Pryor commented on fan criticism of casting Nathaniel Curtis, who is of Indian descent, as Sir Isaac Newton, a white man, in the 60th anniversary specials, "It's sad that we're in a time where people villainize minorities, This sort of chatter, I'm very good at kind of tuning it out. And I'm also very, very happy to block people on Twitter. I don't really have any time for bigotry at all.
It then becomes even more important to give people a voice and for people to be represented, especially for young people growing up who might be trans or from any minority. If they can see themselves on screen, then that can be a huge lifeline for some people. That can make them feel part of the world, which indeed they are.
Social media is a bit of a dangerous place because I think people get sucked into saying things that I don't know that they truly believe? It just becomes a game for them. Unfortunately, real life isn't a game, and I think it's important to stand up for for people who are marginalized.
Growing up as a gay man, I'm as aware as any anybody else of how this stuff makes you feel when you see it. How that negativity can affect you. I don't really think anyone should have to go through that."

COYOTE VS. ACME---Warner Bros. has received bids from Paramount Pictures and Netflix for its shelved CGI/live-action movie. Amazon has expressed an interest but has not submitted a bid. Warner Bros. wants to recover the full $70 million production cost for the movie.

TWISTED METAL---Peacock renewed the series for Season 2.

HARLEM---Amazon Prime Video renewed the series for Season 3.

TRIVIA---producer/writer Harve Bennett commented on the failure of STAR TREK V: THE FINAL FRONTIER which was directed by William Shatner, "I would say that STAR TREK V was the weakest of the pictures, both in terms of coherency and its box office, and I would say without shirking responsibility is that the problem was Bill had story approval. He knows this, so I’m not ratting on my friend, but basically, we got to a point where I said, 'Bill, we cannot make a movie about finding God!' I said that from the beginning… 'I know that if you say in a TV log line 'Tonight on STAR TREK, the crew of the USS Enterprise goes to find God,' everybody knows we’re not going to get there, so as a storyteller, it gets to be a shaggy joke!
But he wanted to do it, so after much aggravation, I said, 'All right, we’re going to go find God, but we’re going to make it the best trip we possibly can!', and so that’s what we did. I think we achieved a good trip, but it was not a strong STAR TREK. It was doomed by its premise. I learned long ago, if it ain’t in the premise, it ain’t there, but Bill felt if we worked hard enough and dazzled them with enough stuff, we could do it, and I don’t think we pulled that off… I think a faulty premise results in a flawed picture."

Posted:   Dec 8, 2023 - 9:55 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

For what ever faults ST5: TFF may have, it's better than that fucking whales film.

Posted:   Dec 8, 2023 - 10:05 AM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

Harve Bennett oversimplified the premise of ST-V in his comments in order to make his point, to the extent that it was not factual.
The Enterprise did not go out to find God--a madman went out to find God and hijacked the Enterprise to get there (that's a huge difference).
The premise is sound.
Take out some of the studio-mandated humor and fix some of the wonky SFX and you end up with a really good movie.
Even as it is, the film has some of the best moments in the film series.

Posted:   Dec 8, 2023 - 10:07 AM   
 By:   Ado   (Member)

For what ever faults ST5: TFF may have, it's better than that fucking whales film.

Oh Justin, you are a riot sometimes dude

Posted:   Dec 8, 2023 - 10:14 AM   
 By:   Rameau   (Member)

"It's sad that we're in a time where people villainize minorities"

I think that people can point out the oddness of that casting with being nasty racist Nazi's. I stopped watching the wokeathon that is Doctor Who now some time ago.

I bought the Blu-ray of Dune as soon as it was released...but still haven't watched it! I thought Denis Villeneuve was supposed to be making Rendezvous with Rama after Dune 2, but I haven't heard anything about it, so maybe it's on the back burner now.

Posted:   Dec 8, 2023 - 10:16 AM   

Harve Bennett oversimplified the premise of ST-V in his comments in order to make his point, to the extent that it was not factual.
The Enterprise did not go out to find God--a madman went out to find God and hijacked the Enterprise to get there (that's a huge difference).
The premise is sound.
Take out some of the studio-mandated humor and fix some of the wonky SFX and you end up with a really good movie.
Even as it is, the film has some of the best moments in the film series.

I have no idea what that comment is coming out now, Harve said that stuff many many years ago.

Harve is mostly correct though, I do like the film, problems and all. But, the problem at the core is one of pulling the rug out from under both the audience and the characters. It is structured in a way that forces the characters to be either fools and or disingenuous, and puts the audience in a place to start an idea about mystical forces in the universe, spend a lot of time with characters that really do appear to be under some spiritual forces and have mystical insights into their souls.

But at the end, guess what, it was all just a bunch of BS, Sybok was an idiot, that vision that Spock and Bones had? Maybe they were stoned. The crew that turned their backs on Kirk, they are just easily persuaded, or drugged, or something. It was THE central problem of the film. And it was so bad that Nimoy and Kelley had to pitch a fit to have Shatner give up on the terrible idea of forcing Bones and Kirk to betray Kirk. As a story it is a completely hot mess, but I still like the film. It is a movie carried on the excellence of these characters and the great performances and the enthusiasm of the thing.

Posted:   Dec 8, 2023 - 10:23 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

For all we know, the pitch from The Shat was the crew of the Enterprise go out to find God (For what ever reason). And since it's a lame premise, Harve may have been the one who decided to shake it up and have it be Sybok, by means of stealing the Enterprise and holding the crew hostage.

Posted:   Dec 8, 2023 - 10:28 AM   

For all we know, the pitch from The Shat was the crew of the Enterprise go out to find God (For what ever reason). And since it's a lame premise, Harve may have been the one who decided to shake it up and have it be Sybok, by means of stealing the Enterprise and holding the crew hostage.

I think Harve was the push to make it move along quickly, Loughery and Shat were the drivers behind the terrible story turns.
It was just a bad script, and even Shat admitted it later. Shat really did want Spock and Bones to betray Kirk, it was in the book the wrote with his daughter, it was his idea. Inspiration from Jimmy and Tammy Faye for a Trek film, not one of our better Trek moments in history. And this is really what Shatner has said.

Posted:   Dec 8, 2023 - 10:40 AM   

Just to be clear, guys, my remarks were not an attempt to catalogue and critique the film's pros and cons.
I was just addressing Bennett's summary of the premise, which I found to be factually inaccurate.

It's light years away from being a perfect movie, but it had heart.

Posted:   Dec 8, 2023 - 10:43 AM   

Just to be clear, guys, my remarks were not an attempt to catalogue and critique the film's pros and cons.
I was just addressing Bennett's summary of the premise, which I found to be factually inaccurate.

It's light years away from being a perfect movie, but it had heart.

It does have heart, but the premise is very problematic.
It might work for a one off film, not a franchise. But for Trek, it frames up our characters to be compulsory idiots.

Posted:   Dec 8, 2023 - 11:56 AM   
 By:   Hurdy Gurdy   (Member)

"It's sad where people blah blah..."
-------------------------
I don't think people are making villians of minorities here.
Why cast Isaac Newton - a famous historical person - as an Indian?
There's no need for it, other than to try and stir controversy.
Would they cast Abraham Lincoln as an African or Asian?
Winston Churchill as a female?
It's just stupid.
And hasn't the show runner stated that he'd never cast a hetero male to play a gay character?
WTF.
I'm sure he'd have no problems casting a gay actor to play a straight role.
Wankers, all.

Posted:   Dec 8, 2023 - 12:25 PM   

It does have heart, but the premise is very problematic.
It might work for a one off film, not a franchise. But for Trek, it frames up our characters to be compulsory idiots.

Heh, it's Star Trek.
The ST franchise is loaded with problematic premises.
You can't swing a dead cat by the tail without hitting one!

Posted:   Dec 8, 2023 - 12:57 PM   

I can find no evidence that the real Isaac Newton was Indian.
Is it racist just to notice that?

Posted:   Dec 8, 2023 - 2:47 PM   
 By:   TheAvenger   (Member)

I can find no evidence that the real Isaac Newton was Indian.
Is it racist just to notice that?

This, exactly.

But if it is acceptable for ethnicity to no longer matter when it comes to historical accuracy, then let’s see how people react when studios cast Elizabeth Olsen as Rosa Parkes and Tom Cruise as Martin Luther King.

Or is the big, bad bigotry road a one way street?

Posted:   Dec 8, 2023 - 3:11 PM   
 By:   Indy1981   (Member)

I always thought that Matt Damon would have made for a great cinematic Martin Luther King.

Posted:   Dec 8, 2023 - 6:15 PM   
 By:   Mr. Jack   (Member)

I don't think people are making villians of minorities here.
Why cast Isaac Newton - a famous historical person - as an Indian?
There's no need for it, other than to try and stir controversy.
Would they cast Abraham Lincoln as an African or Asian?
Winston Churchill as a female?
It's just stupid.

Just this. People keep hiding behind the "You're just bigoted if you have a problem with this!" shit for casting POCs as white people (especially in a historical context), women as men and gays as straights for far too long. It's asinine.

Posted:   Dec 8, 2023 - 6:46 PM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

Star Trek 4 remains a favorite of mine. Its wonderfully entertaining and delightful. Its the best "assembled cast" movie.
Star Trek 5 is a guilty pleasure for sure. Really dumb but its like hanging out with old friends, having a few drinks and goofing off.

Posted:   Dec 8, 2023 - 6:57 PM   
 By:   Mr. Jack   (Member)

Or is the big, bad bigotry road a one way street?

13 years ago, people were allowed to express their disappointment that the heroes of Avatar: The Last Airbender had all been replaced with white actors in M. Night Shyamalan's awful movie adaptation (and, coming from an Indian filmmaker, it was authentically uncomfortable that the villains were all played by dark-skinned Indian or Maori actors), yet no one is allowed to make a peep when a canonically white character is suddenly black, Asian, a woman, gay or whatever without the "Bigotry" stick getting pulled out. roll eyes

Posted:   Dec 8, 2023 - 8:44 PM   
 By:   joan hue   (Member)

canonically white character is suddenly black, Asian, a woman, gay or whatever without the "Bigotry" stick getting pulled out.

When has this happened with REAL people who may or may no longer be alive? Did Denzel Washington play Lincoln? Nope.

Has Matt Damon played Martin Luther King? Nope.

Has John F. Kennedy been played in movies by a woman? Nope.

Austin Butler played Elvis, and he is not Asian or Hispanic or Black. Aren't these "canonically white characters?"

In 1989 Disney released The Little Mermaid. Yep, she was white in a CARTOON. One African American played the voice of Sebastian. He was the only African American in that cartoon. Last year, due to a lot of changes over the past 30 years, an African American played the mermaid. So what? The mermaid was NOT a real historical figure. Only a white female in 1939 could be Snow White because of the times. Now an Hispanic woman will play her. Guess what? Snow White was a cartoon, not a real historical person.

The Jersey Boys were 4 white guys, and in the movie, they were played by 4 white guys.

So far, I haven't seen General Patton played by a transvestite.
Some people on this board are idiots for having fits over changes to historical figures that so far I haven't seen.

Posted:   Dec 9, 2023 - 2:33 AM   
 By:   TheAvenger   (Member)

I always thought that Matt Damon would have made for a great cinematic Martin Luther King.

I always thought Matt Damon would have made for a great cinematic Rosa Parkes.