Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Dec 2, 2023 - 12:09 AM   
 By:   Zooba   (Member)

So sad to hear the news that just a few days ago we lost this wonderful and talented man.

Some of his film credits as Cinematographer and Director of Photography include:

PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE
DOG DAY AFTERNOON
OH GOD!
EYES OF LAURA MARS
CLUE
THE LAST TYCOON
THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
NATIONAL LAMPOON'S VACATION
MAGIC
THE JERK
COMA
TOMMY BOY
AND JUSTICE FOR ALL
SECRET ADMIRER
XANADU
JINGLE ALL THE WAY
THE ONE AND ONLY
AUTHOR! AUTHOR!
SLAP SHOT

Was lucky to meet him in 1984 on SECRET ADMIRER, my very first "Extra" job in the movies. I played a college guy in the Frat House Party scene. The comedy movie starred C. Thomas Howell, Kelly Preston and Lori Loughlin and was helmed by first time director David Greenwalt who wrote CLASS, Andrew McCarthy's first movie.

I was fortunate to talk to Mr. Kemper on set and express my admiration for his work, especially on the 3 Al Pacino movies he did and MAGIC (1978) starring Anthony Hopkins.

He was most appreciative of my comments and answered my question on how he did the very last shot of MAGIC at the end of the "Us was You" scene (brilliantly scored by Jerry Goldsmith). A truly amazing camera shot and one that I had never been able to figure out until he graciously solved the mystery for me. Years later, I worked in a Christmas Parade scene on JINGLE ALL THE WAY(Arnold Schwarzenegger), not knowing he was the D.P. on that as well. I wish I knew at the time and surely would have said hello to him again.

At 96 years of age, I'd say he had a great run and a wonderful and successful career. God Bless him. Happy to know that he brought much enjoyment to so many through his work. him. I'll remember him as a kind and soft spoken gentleman. My condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.

Posted:   Dec 2, 2023 - 4:29 PM   
 By:   Sir David of Garland   (Member)

A name all over the 70's, and one I respected.