Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Oct 30, 2023 - 1:38 PM   
 By:   DavidCoscina   (Member)

Just received my pre order from Ark Square and have spun the disc 3 times. With each passing it becomes more impressive. This is a far cry from the camp sambas or screaming brass that are oft associated with the titular monster. Sato has crafted a score that is filled with portent, melancholy but balanced by a light of hope. To me, this music is closest to Gorecki's Third Symphony. There is a meditative quality to it that envelops the listener. Even though some might characterize a good portion of it as atmospheric, there are signature motives and themes to be had, though most are played at Largo and Adagio. It feels like this new incarnation of Godzilla will be reverent to the original 1954 Gojira in terms of its overall tone.

I cannot really point out any stand out tracks because are all excellent. The more tuneful ones include DIVINE (music heard in the trailer), ELEGY (haunting string work), HOPE, HONOR, but I would say the standout track is RESOLUTION with its expansive choir and stuttering p < ff > p brass figures very much like John Adams' Harmonium.

I took a chance pre ordering a soundtrack that I had not heard (I only hoped that the trailer music would be from the original score- it is!). I'm happy to report it more than met and exceeded my expectations. I cannot wait to see how it marries with the film. From how it's orchestrated and crafted, I do think it will sit well against the visuals. It never feels like it's too busy or cluttered.

Posted:   Oct 30, 2023 - 2:42 PM   
 By:   Lewis&Clark   (Member)

I can't wait for mine to arrive... I should be able to listen to in sometime next week *giddy*

Posted:   Oct 30, 2023 - 2:55 PM   
 By:   Erik Woods   (Member)

It's easily my favourite score of the year! A sensational score that I'll have on repeart for the next little while! Bloody brilliant!

-Erik-

Posted:   Oct 30, 2023 - 2:55 PM   

I can't wait for mine to arrive... I should be able to listen to in sometime next week *giddy*

Would enjoy getting your thoughts when you have had a chance to listen.

Posted:   Oct 30, 2023 - 3:08 PM   
 By:   Mike Esssss   (Member)

The cue from the trailer sounds great. Is Ark Square the only place we might reasonable expect to get a physical copy of this album for the foreseeable future?

Posted:   Oct 30, 2023 - 3:30 PM   

The cue from the trailer sounds great. Is Ark Square the only place we might reasonable expect to get a physical copy of this album for the foreseeable future?

yeah I dunno. It cost me a pretty penny especially since I wanted rush shipping but it actually arrived BEFORE I expected it. A great way to begin the week. smile

Posted:   Oct 30, 2023 - 3:59 PM   
 By:   spook   (Member)

Great to read your thoughts David. Mine has been dispatched so I'm counting the days.
I love the different styles that the music for the Godzilla films over the years have shown. Even thought its often the same rough story idea in the films, musically they are often soooo different.
High hopes for this one.

Posted:   Oct 30, 2023 - 4:05 PM   
 By:   Sean Nethery   (Member)

Screen Archives has it up on pre-order as well. (A few bucks more expensive with shipping than Ark Square, for me anyway.)

https://www1.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/44774/GODZILLA-1-0-GODZILLA-MINUS-ONE/

Posted:   Oct 31, 2023 - 2:10 AM   
 By:   Lokutus   (Member)

https://www.musicbox-records.com/en/cd-soundtracks/13585-godzilla-1-0.html

Posted:   Oct 31, 2023 - 5:03 AM   

Ark Square also included a lovely mini poster from Minus One and superbly packaged. I chose DHL and it got here 1 day earlier than expected. I was very impressed with Ark’s service on this. And it’s so nice to have physical CD. smile

BTW- I prefer Sato's Godzilla over Oppenheimer.

Posted:   Oct 31, 2023 - 7:43 AM   
 By:   nuts_score   (Member)

Quite an apples to oranges comparison, wouldn't you say? How does this compare with other Godzilla scores?

Posted:   Oct 31, 2023 - 8:04 AM   

Quite an apples to oranges comparison, wouldn't you say? How does this compare with other Godzilla scores?

I was coming at it from the nuclear angle. But fair enough. Minus One is my favourite score of the year by a large margin so far.

It's probably second to Ifukube's Gojira for me. It feels like a fusion of modern concert scoring with a bit of electronic atmosphere. It's not tuneful so those looking for hummable themes won't be impressed but the tone is really great and the way each track builds the whole score works very well for stand alone listening. I cannot say how it works in context but based on the trailer, I think Sato's music nails the tone of the movie.

There are some kinetic cues mind you- Resolution is a standout. The repeating string figure engulfed by full chorus and swelling brass staccatos a la John Adams Harmonium really works for me. ELEGY is a beautiful Gorecki styled string piece. It's a great listen especially if you remove the Godzilla Suites. They feel like padding to break up the solemn grave tone of Sato's work which takes away from the experience IMO.

Posted:   Oct 31, 2023 - 9:42 AM   
 By:   nuts_score   (Member)

Ah, so nuclear apples to nuclear oranges! Haha! I appreciate the response DC! Looking forward to hearing this one.

Posted:   Oct 31, 2023 - 10:17 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

Not thematic, not tuneful?
Guess this isn’t the Godzilla score I was looking for.
Move along, move along.

Posted:   Oct 31, 2023 - 10:19 AM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

I chose DHL and it got here 1 day earlier than expected. I was very impressed with Ark’s service on this.

ArkSquare is incredibly swift. I am always impressed that an order can reach the shores of Canada in about a third of the time that US retailers do.

Posted:   Oct 31, 2023 - 10:47 AM   
 By:   publicity   (Member)

Posted:   Oct 31, 2023 - 10:49 AM   
 By:   Erik Woods   (Member)

Move along, move along.

That right... judge the score before hearing it. Good job!

-Erik-

Posted:   Oct 31, 2023 - 11:10 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

Move along, move along.

That right... judge the score before hearing it. Good job!

-Erik-

If its not thematic or tuneful what is it, ambient? I'd love nothing more than to be pleasantly surprised!

Posted:   Oct 31, 2023 - 11:35 AM   

Move along, move along.

Hey Solium. I probably didn't articulate my thoughts properly. It has plenty of memorable cues that fall in a diatonic realm. It's just more concert like in its design (ie Gorecki) than say Bear McCreary or Desplat's efforts in this genre. I do hope you give it a listen. There is a lot of really strong material on this disc. It's not all textures and atmosphere.. Only the first few tracks are like that. Once it gets rolling, it's an incredible score. ELEGY is one of the most emotionally searing things I've heard of late and I cannot imagine how effective it will be when coupled with the visuals in the movie...

Hope that clears things up a bit. This is definitely worth a few listens. It's the best thing I've heard all year.

Posted:   Oct 31, 2023 - 11:39 AM   

There is a warning siren effect on DIVINE which actually sounds like a rolling tub bell played by a soft mallet. But it gives the impression of a siren which is bloody brilliant of Sato. There is actually a lot of tubular bell in this score. Just one of many details I have picked out of this work.

Also, I removed the Godzilla suites from my iTunes rip and the score plays WAY better without it. You are immersed in this new telling of the origin story of Godzilla.