Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Sep 19, 2023 - 7:29 AM   
 By:   David-R.   (Member)

Has anyone else been listening to the soundtrack? I wasn't familiar with the composers beforehand, but I've started listening to the score after watching the show and man, it's a lot of fun. They seem to really grasp the concept of leitmotif, as many of the characters have their own theme. Also, the soundtrack is a generous four hours, so I'm taking my time working through it!

Posted:   Sep 19, 2023 - 9:09 AM   
 By:   David-R.   (Member)

Highlights so far:

My Sails are Set - this song really grew on me. It's a longer version of Nami's theme, with some fine lyrics, but one especially well done key change going into the final chorus. Big thumbs up from me.

Wanted Dead or Alive - best track IMO. Great playful version of Luffy's theme hinting at fun, celebration, but also future threats. An appearance of Mihawk's very Spanish-guitar motif in the before smoothly transitioning back to Luffy's theme.

Zoro vs. Mihawk - battle of the themes between these two! But Mihawk's Spanish guitar instrumentation is dominant throughout the piece (and if you've seen the fight, you'll know why).

We Are! - begins with a theme from the original anime quickly, before transitioning seamlessly between the current crew members' various themes - Nami's hopefully melody, Zoro's determined anthem, Usopp's playful jaunt, before wrapping things up with a mysterious stinger.

One Piece Tango - Luffy's theme reappears as a string-led dance theme, in proper time signature.

Chop Chop Cannon - reflects the whimsical, yet ultimately truly threatening nature of Buggy the clown. Also , I'm wondering if the quick, staccato percussion is a reference to the Chop Chop in this title and the episode. If so, clever work by the composers!

I'm Gonna be King of the Pirates/We are! - fun rendition of Luffy's theme (on ukulele?).

Posted:   Sep 20, 2023 - 7:46 AM   
 By:   acathla   (Member)

Just finished this show (awesome!!) and its four hour long score (totally awesome!!)
I made myself a ONE PIECE playlist in order to just keep the tracks I liked and after finish it all I kept about 2 hours and 40 minutes, which says a lot! Really digging this!

Agree on all the tracks you mentioned! I also really loved the Clown theme. And one of my favorites is "Boogie I'm Warning You".

Will take me some time to get to "know" all the tracks, but I sure will listen to this a lot!

Posted:   Oct 8, 2023 - 7:25 PM   
 By:   ScoreFFan   (Member)

Just wrapped my binge of season One. It's wacky, but after the first 30 minutes, I was hooked. Fantastic Score to a wonderful series. I know that Sonya worked The Witcher magic, but this is, by far, a massive leap in her composing credentials. The themes are very interesting to listen to. I'm not familiar with the original episodic animation series, but I'd suspect this is honoring it for a live action interpretation and again, the soundtrack is a great spin at 4 hours. well done Belousova and Ostinelli. I hope you return for Season Two!

Posted:   Oct 9, 2023 - 2:08 AM   
 By:   dr.doom   (Member)

well tanakas score for the anime is incredible and while it is repeated often due to the sheer amount of episodes every single unique track is a joy.currenty middle of dress rossa and had my first tears of joy moment and music played a role in that.also check out his gravity daze gamescores.wont watch live action till i finished the anime.they have an impossible task trying to adapt the later arcs.i gets WILD.