Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jul 26, 2021 - 2:18 PM   
 By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

Wanted to officially let everyone know, because people ask about this all the time, now that we just put out our most recent John Williams score, that our next John Williams title is going to be the 30th Anniversary of Hook.

Similar to what we did with Superman just now, we worked with Michael Matessino, this amazing producer who works really really closely with the John Williams camp to make sure all of his stuff sounds perfect. He does everything. He helped us produce new masters for this and it'll be coming out, I think for the 30th anniversary in November.

That's the plan right now, we're working on artwork, nothing to share just yet, but that's coming up on the horizon

Source: https://youtu.be/51ZeE5aN-Eo starting at 58:41

Posted:   Jul 26, 2021 - 2:35 PM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

Similar to what we did with Superman just now, we worked with Michael Matessino, this amazing producer who works really really closely with the John Williams camp to make sure all of his stuff sounds perfect. He does everything. He helped us produce new masters for this and it'll be coming out, I think for the 30th anniversary in November.

That could possibly point to the soon to be released Williams at LaLaLand.

Posted:   Jul 26, 2021 - 2:40 PM   
 By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

If anyone is curious, here is what other John Williams Mondo albums look like

https://mondoshop.com/products/jaws-music-from-the-motion-picture-2xlp
https://mondoshop.com/collections/all/products/black-sunday-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-2xlp
https://mondoshop.com/products/superman-the-movie-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-2xlp
https://mondoshop.com/products/home-alone-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-2xlp
https://mondoshop.com/products/jurassic-park-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-2xlp
https://mondoshop.com/products/jurassic-park-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-version-b

Black Sunday features the album program Lukas and Mike first made for the 2010 FSM CD.

Jaws features the film recordings album Mike first made for 2015 Intrada CD

Superman features the OST rebuild Mike first created for the 2019 LLL CD.

Home Alone and Jurassic Park I believe just use the album masters stored at Sony and UMG respectively.

Posted:   Jul 26, 2021 - 2:50 PM   
 By:   ryanpaquet   (Member)

Suddently I feel very good about selling my copy of LLL's Hook last year.

Posted:   Jul 26, 2021 - 3:44 PM   
 By:   johnonymous86   (Member)

Suddently I feel very good about selling my copy of LLL's Hook last year.

SAME.

I just never listened to it as much as I thought I would. It's a great score but when people are willing to pay that much for something I rarely listen to anymore, it's time to sell. I would consider buying another release if more music was available but certainly not at the prices the LLL CDs are going for right now.

Posted:   Jul 26, 2021 - 4:48 PM   
 By:   jwb1   (Member)

Yes its been known for a while now that new masters of Hook have been found. So really a new CD release is definitely in order.

Posted:   Jul 26, 2021 - 10:06 PM   
 By:   Jasom   (Member)

I would triple dip for a complete Hook.

Posted:   Jul 26, 2021 - 10:35 PM   
 By:   Martin B.   (Member)

Or else it’s like Mission Impossible 2 where LLL wanted to do it but the studio only gave the license to Mondo for a vinyl release. Different studios I know, but I don’t think a Mondo release means a CD release is forthcoming.

I hope it does and that it’s a complete remaster from new sources I’m just not getting my hopes up.

Posted:   Jul 27, 2021 - 7:30 AM   
 By:   Amer Zahid   (Member)

Yes we need the definitive one with the masters touch and by that I mean Mike Matessino !!

Posted:   Jul 27, 2021 - 1:06 PM   
 By:   Shaun Rutherford   (Member)

I think this came up in another thread, but not sure if it was answered - where did they end up finding the new masters for Hook? It was such a mystery some years ago and I've always wondered where they ended up hiding.

Posted:   Jul 27, 2021 - 1:08 PM   
 By:   jwb1   (Member)

I think this came up in another thread, but not sure if it was answered - where did they end up finding the new masters for Hook? It was such a mystery some years ago and I've always wondered where they ended up hiding.

They had to use film stems for parts of the release. Not only did they find better sources but they found new music too. I'd be shocked if another CD release doesn't happen.

Posted:   Jul 27, 2021 - 1:39 PM   
 By:   Shaun Rutherford   (Member)

They had to use film stems for parts of the release. Not only did they find better sources but they found new music too. I'd be shocked if another CD release doesn't happen.

Yeah, I remember the original release. I just wondered where the missing reel(s) ended up!

Posted:   Jul 27, 2021 - 2:05 PM   
 By:   KeV McG   (Member)

Michael Jackson stole them and took them to Neverland.

Posted:   Jul 27, 2021 - 2:09 PM   
 By:   Zack371   (Member)

A new release of Hook done properly by Mike Matessino would be MOST welcome. I am grateful for the existing release, but it's not even close to Mike's standard for Williams releases and given a new source is available, I REALLY hope this happens.

Posted:   Jul 27, 2021 - 2:37 PM   
 By:   General Kael   (Member)

I would triple dip for a complete Hook.

Agreed!

Posted:   Jul 27, 2021 - 3:05 PM   
 By:   Zack371   (Member)

Any Label: "Our label proudly announces Mike Matessino's production of John Williams'..."

Me: "Take my money."

Label: "You didn't let us finish."

Me: "Don't care. Here's my card #."

Posted:   Jul 27, 2021 - 3:08 PM   
 By:   Graham   (Member)

Any Label: "Our label proudly announces Mike Matessino's production of John Williams'..."

Me: "Take my money."

Label: "You didn't let us finish."

Me: "Don't care. Here's my card #."

Yep.

Graham

Posted:   Jul 27, 2021 - 3:39 PM   
 By:   Totoro   (Member)

I love HOOK!

It deserves a proper complete score release!

Posted:   Aug 15, 2021 - 12:36 PM   
 By:   governor   (Member)

Or else it’s like Mission Impossible 2 where LLL wanted to do it but the studio only gave the license to Mondo for a vinyl release. Different studios I know, but I don’t think a Mondo release means a CD release is forthcoming.

I hope it does and that it’s a complete remaster from new sources I’m just not getting my hopes up.

quite the contrary, IMHO this vinyl release says it all, a new and updated release of Hook is coming on CD

Posted:   Aug 16, 2021 - 9:59 AM   
 By:   Mike Matessino   (Member)

Despite the anniversary year and the Mondo LP, for which I rebuilt the original album, if an expanded Hook is coming out on CD this year, it's news to me.