Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jun 12, 2021 - 5:28 AM   
 By:   KeV McG   (Member)

I agree.
The expanded BLACK BEAUTY by Danny Elfman from LLL completely changed my opinion of that score, having never taken to the original release.

Posted:   Jun 12, 2021 - 7:34 AM   
 By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

The only track I like from the previous CD of this score is the quartet, "Rachel's Party".
I don't see it here. Has it been re-named in the new edition?

"Uma's Tune"

Posted:   Jun 12, 2021 - 7:57 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

As a huge John Powell fan the samples Yavar posted in another thread didn't really "wow" me. I'll give these sound samples a listen and see if it changes my mind.

Huh! They were three of my favorite cues but I will say the score has a lot of variety and it's possible that if I'd picked different ones you would have been more wowed.

As I've said before, this is a Top 5 Powell score IMO. Just incredible. Can't wait to get this in the player.

I guess our tastes in music just differ though we love many of the same composers. I don't find this a particularly interesting outing by Powell. He did this score so much better five years later (With BOLT).

Posted:   Jun 12, 2021 - 2:52 PM   
 By:   Ant   (Member)

I don't expect the deluxe edition to change any opinions of the score - it's definitely more of the same.

If you didn't find the original album compelling, you are unlikely to change your mind about the deluxe version. If you loved the original release however, you're going to LOVE it!

Kind of respectfully disagree there. I’ve had a couple of soundtrack expansions that had the original albums get hardly a listen and have been a complete turn around in the new version.
One such example was Danny Elfman’s Dolores Claiborne. Apart from a couple of tracks it just never compelled me to listen often to it. With the expansion I found it a completely different experience listening from start to finish with the added cues throughout just bringing the whole thing ...’together’. I’ve practically worn out the new version !
Not saying it’s always the case but Elliot Goldenthal’s Pet Semetary was another example of this. Obviously if you hate the original it’s not going to change but for the scores that you are a bit indifferent to, it can be night and day.

But I'm not talking about Dolores Claiborne or Pet Semetary. I'm talking about Paycheck.

I guess our tastes in music just differ though we love many of the same composers. I don't find this a particularly interesting outing by Powell. He did this score so much better five years later (With BOLT).

Bolt is another good Powell score, but it's nothing like Paycheck.

Posted:   Jun 12, 2021 - 3:43 PM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

Funny thing. I was putting some newly purchased CD's onto my shelf and I found the OST for Paycheck. I have no recollection of having this score.