Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jul 21, 2020 - 7:59 PM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

@ Mr. Ford A. Thaxton: Is there a chance of an eventual re-issue of Invasion of the Body Snatchers?

Which one?

if you are talking about the 1978 version, there isn't anything beyond the soundtrack album master that has been released.

Ford A. Thaxton

Yes. I'd be quite happy with a remastered edition, along with an expertly written booklet by, say, Mr. Randall D. Larson (who's woefully underutilized IMNSHO).

Posted:   Jul 21, 2020 - 8:06 PM   
 By:   Ford A. Thaxton   (Member)

Oh my gosh, I just learned about this cd. And what a handsome set it is. Wow, oh, wowee, WOW!!!
I always loved THE LIVING WORD.

And there's only 500. I'm buying mine N.O.W.!

We've been sending this out, just wondering if anyone has taken the time to play it yet?

Ford A. Thaxton

Posted:   Aug 29, 2020 - 2:38 PM   
 By:   Brad Wills   (Member)

We've been sending this out, just wondering if anyone has taken the time to play it yet?

Ford A. Thaxton

Spinning it now, Ford. I'm only to track #5, and already blown away by the breadth of Mr. Zeliff's musicianship and grasp of orchestral techniques. Color, exciting music. Heartily recommended release!

Posted:   Sep 5, 2020 - 5:35 PM   
 By:   DavidinBerkeley   (Member)

BEYOND THE NEXT MOUNTAIN
Anyone who like solos (french horn, woodwinds) sounding "searching" and "noble" will like this score. I hear some of the versatility of Goldsmith, a lot of the lyricism I associate with Holdridge and Bennett (FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD), and with some of the exotic sounds of Kaper.

Posted:   Sep 17, 2020 - 6:04 PM   

Holy maracas, he's got more coming!

https://www.edwardzeliff.com/film-music

Posted:   Sep 29, 2020 - 1:55 PM   
 By:   AlainC   (Member)

Oh my gosh, I just learned about this cd. And what a handsome set it is. Wow, oh, wowee, WOW!!!
I always loved THE LIVING WORD.

And there's only 500. I'm buying mine N.O.W.!

Ford A. Thaxton

Received it yesterday October 8

Posted:   Oct 3, 2020 - 3:01 PM   

UNDER FIRE
I hear a lot more Elmer Bernstein-ish and Basil Poledouris-ish sounds in this score.

Plus a great jazz cut that reminds me of Herrmann's transformation of his TAXI DRIVER theme. Interesting.

Posted:   Oct 4, 2020 - 1:08 PM   
 By:   Ford A. Thaxton   (Member)

UNDER FIRE
I hear a lot more Elmer Bernstein-ish and Basil Poledouris-ish sounds in this score.

Plus a great jazz cut that reminds me of Herrmann's transformation of his TAXI DRIVER theme. Interesting.

we're working on more of Ed's work for release.

he's a very talented guy who deserves far more attraction then he has received.

Ford A. Thaxton

Posted:   Oct 5, 2020 - 11:18 AM   
 By:   scottthompson   (Member)

This is great music. Owned the LP of THE LIVING WORD for years. Look forward to more Zeliff, Ford.

I also discovered Page Cook and Films In Review in my college library (way, way long before the internet). Still have his compiled yearly lists of favorites. Seems like he might have had THE LIVING WORD ranked, too, at one point. This was during the vocal soundtrack onslaught of the 70's and 80's when a good orchestral score was hard to find.

Cook was a strange guy. Invented words for his reviews that did not exist. Seems like he also ranked a phantom composer one year that never lived, too! As I recall, Rozsa was his favorite composer, but he was big on Morris, Shire, Scott and Sarde late in his reviewing career. Also liked Goldsmith up through UNDER FIRE and TWILIGHT ZONE, then not so much. And Williams up until THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, both of which he hated. He also despised Maurice Jarre and, disturbingly, John Barry. Hated Mancini, but did vote LIFEFORCE as the top score that year....

Cook was a Golden Age guy, and I mostly agreed with his top picks and discography choices from the late 50's and 60's. Too bad he did not live to see all the FSM Golden Age stuff. Often thought of him as I enjoyed all these CDs back in the early 2000's.

Here's an old thread on Cook and Zelff from the past:

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=47637&forumID=1&archive=0

SCOTT

Posted:   Oct 6, 2020 - 7:06 PM   

Here's an old thread on Cook and Zelff from the past:

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=47637&forumID=1&archive=0

SCOTT

I was looking for that thread!! Thanks for digging it up, Scott.