Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Feb 5, 2020 - 7:01 AM   
 By:   KeV McG   (Member)

I suppose, in this day and age, the old 'sign up and fight/die for your country' mantra would not work the way it did during WWI and WWII, when many brave young men and women left home to defend their countries, but for many people these days, war arrives on their doorstep in an instant, when an aggressive force or neighbour seek to destroy and wipe them out.
On those occasions, the choice is wrestled from your grip, as the ONLY option is fight back to protect your land/family, or die.
But if YOUR country declared itself at war with an opposing force, would YOU Join Up to fight and serve?
My stock answer, in previous conversations, has been 'I'll be standing right behind the sons of the politicians and royals and elite...LITERALLY wink

Posted:   Feb 5, 2020 - 7:07 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

Hahahha! You took my answer.

Posted:   Feb 5, 2020 - 7:12 AM   
 By:   Mark   (Member)

I would be a conchie. Unless I could be 100% sure that the war was 'just'. There have been so many 'dodgy dosiers' (those that follow uk politics will know what I'm referring to) and my trust in politicians is zero, so unless there was an alien invasion I don't see that I could trust a government to know that a supposed enemy was an enemy and didn't have just cause to go to war with us.

Posted:   Feb 5, 2020 - 7:13 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

Aren't all FSMers battle-shattered veterans? After all, the way most FSMers unwittingly act out Christopher Jones' Ryan's Daughter "shellshocked" scene every time they learn Hans Zimmer will score their favorite garbage film franchise makes me think they've all survived their own personal "Gallipoli."

Posted:   Feb 5, 2020 - 7:19 AM   

Haha.
This thread is YOUR fault, Jim, after I read old Hemmo's quotes about war in your ongoing thread (which has run for as long as MANY wars have, down the years).

Posted:   Feb 5, 2020 - 7:22 AM   

Haha.
This thread is YOUR fault, Jim, after I read old Hemmo's quotes about war in your ongoing thread (which has run for as long as MANY wars have, down the years).

I figured as much. smile It reminds me of the time Sones emailed to inform me he was going to close down the "Offensive Posts" thread. I told him that Amer Zahid was that topic's author. Sones replied that while true, he associated that topic with me.

I love it when I (unintentionally) get into these people's heads. big grin

Posted:   Feb 5, 2020 - 8:03 AM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

Oooh not political in the slightest mcGann.

I take it you have finished wiping all the handrails and lift buttons with wet wipes on your corona lines cruise ship? wink

Posted:   Feb 5, 2020 - 8:09 AM   

I like this new, edgy, Hemingwayesque McGann. Not two days ago he was giggling to the sounds of Tinkerbell, fer feck's sake, so the change to war coward McGann is most welcome.

Posted:   Feb 5, 2020 - 8:09 AM   

I'd join the Rebel Alliance. I've aced a few FSM'ers, I mean Womp Rats in my days.

Posted:   Feb 5, 2020 - 8:11 AM   

Wow, the Maurice Jarre score in that Ryan's Daughter scene was atrocious. LOL

Posted:   Feb 5, 2020 - 8:12 AM   

Wasn't Kev one of the blokes complaining about "toxicity" on the board as of late? Now he's dissing "Return to Neverland".
What gives?

Posted:   Feb 5, 2020 - 8:25 AM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

This is my serious face for a moment.

When my son enlisted 5 years ago, he learned that one of the first things they ask in the process is, "Could you kill?"
I presume that if one answers in the negative, they would find a reason to decline your application.
But if you answer "yes", the followup question was, "Could you kill on command?".

I guess in the larger sense, that question is meant to discern which people could be trained to see the enemy as something less than human.
If you could learn to regard another living person as no more than a bug, then there's no problem squishing them.
I don't know if I could do that--but if survival instincts are put on the line, I think no one could say for sure what they would do until it came to that point.
If my family is threatened, that's one thing--the parental instinct takes over.
But to be asked to fight for your country?
That's a harder thing to wrap your head around.

Posted:   Feb 5, 2020 - 8:36 AM   

Thanks Oct. That was at the root of my question.
Fighting for your country is almost 'old hat' now, if you're just lining yourself up behind someone's/other/thing's agenda.
But an invasion, descended upon YOUR doorstep, in a FIGHT or FLIGHT situation, takes us back down to our old/primal instincts, I would guess.

Posted:   Feb 5, 2020 - 8:40 AM   

Hey Bill, this thread ain't political at all, as long as we don't allow it to go there.
And RETURN TO NEVERLAND DOES contain Yoda's Theme, but I still like it smile

Yours Sincerely,
Tink xx

Posted:   Feb 5, 2020 - 8:42 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Military service is obligatory for all young males in Norway (and, since 2015, all females....although I'm not quite sure how the mechanics work here), unless you have health or pacifist reasons. I was a corporal in the army myself, back in '98, and when I was discharged, I had expected multiple call-backs in the years to come, for various military exercises and such. Fortunately, none ever came, and now I'm too old and fat and lazy to be of any kind of use to the army. However, should it be necessary, I'm willing to don the green once again -- useless or not.

Posted:   Feb 5, 2020 - 8:50 AM   

...and now I'm too old and fat and lazy to be of any kind of use to the army.

Any use? Your new attributes could make you a twenty-star general!

Posted:   Feb 5, 2020 - 8:51 AM   

This is my serious face for a moment.
When my son enlisted 5 years ago, he learned that one of the first things they ask in the process is, "Could you kill?"
I presume that if one answers in the negative, they would find a reason to decline your application.
But if you answer "yes", the followup question was, "Could you kill on command?".

Wow, what a chilling question. I actually feel bad when I squish a bug. Guess I'm a pacifist.

Posted:   Feb 5, 2020 - 8:52 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

True, I'm wide enough to be a star-spangled banner.

Posted:   Feb 5, 2020 - 8:53 AM   

...and now I'm too old and fat and lazy to be of any kind of use to the army.

Any use? Your new attributes could make you a twenty-star general!

I was thinking the perfect bloke to clear some landmines.

Posted:   Feb 5, 2020 - 8:54 AM   

And RETURN TO NEVERLAND DOES contain Yoda's Theme, but I still like it smile

Yours Sincerely,
Tink xx

You have me seriously curious. I'll have to replay the score asap.