Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Feb 15, 2020 - 12:37 PM   
 By:   Xebec   (Member)

She has a nice voice, the orchestration seemed quite interesting, and it bubbled along in an inoffensive low key way, not really building to anything memorable. I listened to it twice yesterday and have no memory of it at all now, but i didn't think it was bad.

Posted:   Feb 15, 2020 - 2:32 PM   
 By:   johnbijl   (Member)

Well I heard it and I liked it.

It's very different from the traditional Bond tune, but I suspect it will work just fine against the title sequence.

Also, I think the arrangement is by Zimmer if I'm not mistaken which does include more then a few BOND touches.

Ford A. Thaxton

Well it *does* sound very Zimmerish. Lot’s of drama, not many notes smile

Posted:   Feb 15, 2020 - 3:09 PM   
 By:   Adventures of Jarre Jarre   (Member)

I'm not quite sure why people can't hear the lyrics, they're coming in loud and clear for me: it's about someone who's been lied to one's whole life that even death itself cannot be trusted. Considering that this represents a shift in Bond's legacy, and as ASMR songs go, this is the goods. Eilish sounds far more adult than what Sheryl Crow tried to belt in Tomorrow Never Dies (but seriously, that WASN'T a five year old singing instead of Crow?)

Posted:   Feb 15, 2020 - 5:05 PM   
 By:   ZapBrannigan   (Member)

I played the youtube video of this new Bond song the other day. It struck me as sad and vaguely pretty, but not catchy. It doesn't have much of a hook.

But I will say this for it: it seems connected in some vague way to the Bond universe and probably this movie. My problem with "Writing's on the Wall" is that it has nothing whatsoever to with James Bond or the movie it's attached to. Nothing. Is it supposed to reflect the feelings of James Bond? He is NOTHING like that, and would never say those things. Is there any character in the film, to say nothing of a male character, that this song could be speaking for? No.

Purely as a song, "Writing's on the Wall" is much better than "No Time to Die," but at least "No Time" is probably related to its film in some way.

The lowest of the low, in my book: "Another Way to Die." It was both wrong in content and bad in music. For me, it couldn't be worse. Grading on that curve, "No Time to Die" is a huge step up.

Posted:   Feb 15, 2020 - 5:16 PM   
 By:   edwzoomom   (Member)

Well I heard it and I liked it.

It's very different from the traditional Bond tune, but I suspect it will work just fine against the title sequence.

Also, I think the arrangement is by Zimmer if I'm not mistaken which does include more then a few BOND touches.

Ford A. Thaxton

I agree. I watched the trailer and listened to it thoroughly a few times. I then listened to just the song. I think it's Bond perfect and Billie Eilish enunciated clearly. She has a jazzy, silky smooth voice that carries the song perfectly - love the intro.

I cannot wait to see this film. The cast is fantastic - Rami Malek, Lea Seydoux (briefly saw her in The Grand Budapest Hotel) and love Naomie Harris as Moneypenny.

Posted:   Feb 16, 2020 - 4:54 AM   
 By:   JGouse0498   (Member)

I played the youtube video of this new Bond song the other day. It struck me as sad and vaguely pretty, but not catchy. It doesn't have much of a hook.

But I will say this for it: it seems connected in some vague way to the Bond universe and probably this movie. My problem with "Writing's on the Wall" is that it has nothing whatsoever to with James Bond or the movie it's attached to. Nothing. Is it supposed to reflect the feelings of James Bond? He is NOTHING like that, and would never say those things. Is there any character in the film, to say nothing of a male character, that this song could be speaking for? No.

Purely as a song, "Writing's on the Wall" is much better than "No Time to Die," but at least "No Time" is probably related to its film in some way.

The lowest of the low, in my book: "Another Way to Die." It was both wrong in content and bad in music. For me, it couldn't be worse. Grading on that curve, "No Time to Die" is a huge step up.

Absolutely agree on "Another Way to Die".

I'm surprised at your comments on "Writing's on the Wall". By the end of SPECTRE, at least to me, it's pretty clearly connected to the romance between Madeleine and Bond.

"I've been here before / But always hit the floor / I've spent a lifetime running / And I always get away / But with you I'm feeling something / That makes me want to stay" = Vesper, his life as a spy/assassin, and Madeleine

A million shards of glass / That haunt me from my past = Basically, the previous three movies plus the backstory from SKYFALL and SPECTRE. They even show the meaning here by having the images of Le Chiffe, M, Vesper, and Silva in the shards

As for the lyrics regarding a coming storm, stars gathering, and light fading, it's all imagery of some final reckoning or climax, which, in the movie, would be Blofeld and the revelation that he's been behind everything in the Craig film.