Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Sep 19, 2019 - 11:37 PM   
 By:   Adam Krysinski   (Member)

Posted:   Sep 19, 2019 - 11:56 PM   
 By:   Spymaster   (Member)

Yawn. A small nod to Goldsmith drowned out by the same boring, predictable, Tyler "action" drones. Where's the excitement? Where are the odd meters?

Posted:   Sep 20, 2019 - 2:39 AM   
 By:   luquet3   (Member)

The film clip from Rambo Last Blood at the end of this video has Roque Banos' In the Heart of the Sea tracked in. Is it so in the film? Or did they accidentally showed a extract from the temp-tracked version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdiA-y7UGuU

Posted:   Sep 20, 2019 - 2:41 AM   
 By:   Halloween_Jack   (Member)

Damn...
Fingers rapping on table action rhythm. Trumpet blasts that almost sound synthesised. That infernal drumming that one has heard in any number of action trailers and film over and over the past decade...
Uninspiring. Ugly.
I REALLY miss Jerry!
Between this and the recent Dark Crystal score, my faith in modern scoring is dipping. It’s just scoring to picture in a calculated mechanical manner with no sense of the score having a life of its own too. No spirit or real emotional depth and connection.
:/

Posted:   Sep 20, 2019 - 2:46 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

One thing is if he had kept it to the film itself. But when Tyler's irritating action riffs blast over the montage sequence of the previous RAMBO films, my heart sank. Why on earth didn't they use "It's a Long Road" for this, or some variation thereof?

While I did enjoy the film, it's pretty clear to me that Adrian Grünberg (the director) is no Stallone in terms of ambition. Stallone's own RAMBO from 2008 was a far more visionary work, including his notes to Tyler during the scoring process.