Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Oct 15, 2020 - 3:55 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

Anytime you mention classical music, I picture a "young and serious" Sean Nethery with a "John Cale" hairdo earnestly scraping away at a well-worn cello, shaking his head at all the troubles of this old, brown world?

Amazon had a "buy 3 for the price of 2" on Taschen art books yesterday; if I didn't already have mist of the stuff, I would have taken advantage of their most generous offer.

Posted:   Oct 15, 2020 - 3:16 PM   
 By:   Sean Nethery   (Member)

Anytime you mention classical music, I picture a "young and serious" Sean Nethery with a "John Cale" hairdo earnestly scraping away at a well-worn cello, shaking his head at all the troubles of this old, brown world?

Most of that's right, but maybe a bit more Mason Reese than John Cale. I wish John Cale!

Ah, well....

Posted:   Oct 15, 2020 - 3:18 PM   

Amazon has a "3 for 2" sale, which includes Taschen art books.

https://www.amazon.com/Kirchner-Basic-Art-Norbert-Wolf/dp/3836535041/

Posted:   Oct 15, 2020 - 3:24 PM   
 By:   Sean Nethery   (Member)

Ah, I thought that was just yesterday - thanks for the link!

Posted:   Oct 16, 2020 - 3:02 PM   

I took advantage of Amazon's 3-for-2 sale and "took the plunge" on the following volumes in the Basic Art Series:

Kirchner
https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/art/all/49274/facts.kirchner.htm

Cubism
https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/art/all/49236/facts.cubism.htm

De Chirico
https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/art/all/43108/facts.de_chirico.htm

Posted:   Oct 22, 2020 - 3:22 AM   

Haven't cracked open the Cubism book yet, but I'm happy to know there are a few Juan Gris paintings included.

Glanced through the de Chirico and am looking forward to exploring his art. The first painting of his I can recall is "The Seer", via its appearance on the cover of Thelonious Monk's Misterioso album. That painting is included in the Taschen book.

I initially purchased this volume for its biographical information on Kirchner. However, the book has proven even more valuable because it includes numerous paintings not seen in the Neue Galerie exhibition catalogue, especially works from Kirchner’s Davos, Switzerland period. I have yet to encounter better use of color in an artist’s work than what Kirchner applied to his work in Davos. I've spent much of this year obsessing over Kirchner's art; he's in my top 4, after George Miller, Steven Spielberg, and Nicholas Meyer.

Oops. Wrong thread, wrong poster.

Posted:   Oct 22, 2020 - 5:43 AM   

Most of that's right, but maybe a bit more Mason Reese than John Cale. I wish John Cale!

Ah, well....

Sean "John Cale Hair" Nethery, 1969.

Posted:   Oct 22, 2020 - 5:51 AM   

Just found this Italian TV documentary about Giorgio de Chirico. He was a deliciously sarcastic fellow, as these interviews reveal.

Posted:   Oct 27, 2020 - 6:59 PM   
 By:   DavidinBerkeley   (Member)

I found an art book at the curb. It's called "Actors as Artists." It shows the art of various actors, both famous and not-so, some surprisingly good, some not-so.

One big surprise was Claudette Colbert, who had a pretty and realistic portrait she did of Jimmy Stewart's wife. Quite stunning, enough that I wonder if it was done off a photo transparency of some kind.