Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jan 31, 2023 - 6:57 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

Probably most people with disagree with me here, but the new Netflix Lost In Space is actually pretty good, albeit, not nearly has happy and carefree as the original for sure. But I was always partial to original Trek, accepting it's many flaws.

No arguments here. Netflix Lost in Space is amazing. And has an incredible score to boot.


very good scores, color me surprised at some other Lost in Space reboot fans


I really liked season two once they started to bond and work as a family. I haven't gotten around to season three. While nothing could ever replace the beloved B9 I thought it was ingenuous to make the robot an alien in the reboot. See, I can accept change.

 
 
 Posted:   Jan 31, 2023 - 11:53 AM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

Roddenberry may have had the better show, but Irwin had the success that Gene would have killed for.


Irwin also had a better space hippies episode. Also


I'll take this over The Sound Of Music any time, Angela Cartwright.


The guy in the picture looks like the fat guy who antagonized Will in "Return to Earth." He was in "Miri" too.

PS
Chalk another one up to the Big H--it is him. Goes by Keith Taylor.

 
 Posted:   Feb 5, 2023 - 9:08 AM   
 By:   Lukas Kendall   (Member)


An update on my Martha’s Vineyard film project, “Vineyard Haven,” and thank you to WCAI for the news segment!

https://www.lukaskendall.com/post/my-vineyard-film-on-local-radio

 
 
 Posted:   Feb 6, 2023 - 2:14 PM   
 By:   LRobHubbard   (Member)

My package from the sale arrived today - Thanks, Lukas! (& Creature Features for handling the mailing - everything well packed and undamaged.)

 
 Posted:   Feb 6, 2023 - 5:48 PM   
 By:   ZapBrannigan   (Member)

If you're going to revisit Lost in Space for a week, Lukas found a pretty good way to do it. Those first seven episodes, through "My Friend, Mr. Nobody", are the best stories, and they have all the best music.

 
 Posted:   Feb 11, 2023 - 10:55 AM   
 By:   Lukas Kendall   (Member)


Why do we like film music? The simple answer.

https://www.lukaskendall.com/post/why-do-we-like-film-music

 
 
 Posted:   Feb 11, 2023 - 11:25 AM   
 By:   Rozsaphile   (Member)

The surprising (to me) number of people who purchased and even "reviewed" soundtrack albums without having seen the film -- sometimes without even wishing to see the film -- would seem to run counter to your argument.

 
 
 Posted:   Feb 11, 2023 - 11:51 AM   
 By:   Thierry Schreurs   (Member)

Just read the Lukas column of the day on his blog.

It certainly has all to do with a child or teenage TV or movie experience at first. But at first only.

Once I get interest in a composer thanks to a specific score heard in a movie performance, I than can follow the further steps of this composer whitout watching some of his next scored movies....

For instance, let's take an old and not so old stories:

- my discovery of James Horner was in the theater, back in 1982, at watching STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN.
So I needed the Atlantic LP album. But later l purchased the Southern Cross LP album of KRULL entrirely upon the music itself as heard at my local record shop, I never saw KRULL the movie actually!

- my discovery of Bear Mc Creary went with a screening of EUROPA REPORT on DVD back in 2012. But I have a lot of score albums of his, for movies, TV shows or video games I will probably never watch or play.

There is no specific rule. We all have a specific and personal own experience as to how and why we got involved in film and TV music in the first place and why it lasted until now.

Let's not forget also that all these film and TV scores are dated from the era when they first appear onscreen or on air....so do listen to them again years afterwards may also provide some time travel trip experience to catch back past emotions.

People who like vintage compilations with top 50 pop hits of their youth are as nostalgic as we are I guess.

 
 Posted:   Feb 11, 2023 - 5:41 PM   
 By:   ZapBrannigan   (Member)

I have a formative memory of watching Star Trek and hearing (what we now call) "Dr. Bartender" tracked into "Balance of Terror." And I wanted to remember that sad melody. The fact that it was so ephemeral, quickly passing into thin air, made it seem all the more precious. I wanted to preserve it somehow and couldn't. But I knew it was intrinsically good, even apart from the context of the show.

So I think there's a push-pull effect: sometimes a show makes the music seem better, but more often the music makes a show seem better.

 
 
 Posted:   Feb 12, 2023 - 12:27 PM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

The surprising (to me) number of people who purchased and even "reviewed" soundtrack albums without having seen the film -- sometimes without even wishing to see the film -- would seem to run counter to your argument.

Way back near the turn of the century a poll was conducted by FSM and like 80% claimed to come to film music as the result of watching the film. That was no surprise. The surprise was that it felt like a sizeable majority that posted here was of the remaining 20%. Oh I'm sure there are old old threads around that dealt with this thing. For me the key is that both camps promote film music which can only benefit the composers of scores and producers of soundtrack albums. It's a mixed bag, however, in terms of critical analysis. Which is why composers who may lurk would likely have mixed emotions about this place.

 
 
 Posted:   Feb 12, 2023 - 12:39 PM   
 By:   Prince Damian   (Member)

Why do we like film music?

Coz it's like classical music. It can achieve a similar effect in 5 minutes ( or less) and not an hour. Sort of.

 
 
 Posted:   Feb 12, 2023 - 12:40 PM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

The cues vs. symphony idea was in a thread somewhere that also contained an analogy of short stories to novels.

 
 
 Posted:   Feb 12, 2023 - 1:04 PM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Way back near the turn of the century a poll was conducted by FSM and like 80% claimed to come to film music as the result of watching the film. That was no surprise. The surprise was that it felt like a sizeable majority that posted here was of the remaining 20%.

Can't remember the poll you speak of, but I would be among those 20%. I began listening to soundtrack albums as an extension of my interest in instrumental electronic music, prog rock etc. In other words as concept albums. Not saying there was absolutely zero connection to the films (the music had to come from somewhere, I was well aware of that), but it did not have any bearing on my soundtrack listening enjoyment. I never used the film as a frame of reference, and never will.

I do, however, agree with Lukas' point about 'emotional content' of a scene, as that is something that translates to all of us, whatever pathway into soundtrack albums we first had. I often say it's music that needs to get the emotional core quicker than other forms of absolute music, because it's dictated by strict time & space parameters. I've always found attraction in that.

 
 
 Posted:   Feb 12, 2023 - 1:27 PM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

Right on cue! You were the first person I thought of per them old threads. smile

 
 Posted:   Feb 18, 2023 - 8:21 AM   
 By:   Trekfan   (Member)

Nice mention of Lukas by Jonathan "Riker" Frakes on the latest episode of "The Inglorious Treksperts" podcast that just dropped a couple days ago (and Lukas himself has been on that podcast previously):

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-4urxc-16dc099f

 
 Posted:   Feb 18, 2023 - 9:30 AM   
 By:   Lukas Kendall   (Member)


Farewell to Gerald Fried, a film composing legend and absolute sweetheart.

https://www.lukaskendall.com/post/remembering-gerald-fried

 
 
 Posted:   Feb 18, 2023 - 9:49 AM   
 By:   James MacMillan   (Member)

Farewell to Gerald Fried, a film composing legend and absolute sweetheart.

https://www.lukaskendall.com/post/remembering-gerald-fried


Very nice tribute, Lukas. But I had to look up "weed whacker" (!) Saddened to read of Mr Fried's death; enjoyed a lot of his music over the years. One Potato, Two Potato; Mystic Warrior, Too Late the Hero.

 
 Posted:   Feb 18, 2023 - 4:57 PM   
 By:   ZapBrannigan   (Member)

From the Variety review:
Controversy later erupted when Fried publicly objected to Jones’ album of “music from and inspired by” the series, which he felt was a deliberate attempt to supplant an actual “original soundtrack” which would have featured Fried’s much longer, more developed score.


Upon seeing Roots in 1977, I recognized Gerald Fried's name from Star Trek. But when I saw that Quincy Jones album in the record store— with no mention of Fried— I knew it wasn't the real thing and did not buy it.

 
 Posted:   Feb 20, 2023 - 10:19 AM   
 By:   Lukas Kendall   (Member)


Hello Universe: I have always been fascinated by the 1976 LOGAN’S RUN film, so as a weird hobby, I wrote a new TV PILOT version of it.

DISCLAIMER: This is fan fiction! I do not own this property! I tried to do the smart “Andor version,” if that makes sense. Thanks!

https://www.lukaskendall.com/post/i-wrote-a-logan-s-run-tv-pilot

 
 
 Posted:   Feb 20, 2023 - 11:46 AM   
 By:   CindyLover   (Member)

With Warner Bros. owning it, there's the ominous thought of Jonathan Nolan doing a limited series version...

 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
© 2023 Film Score Monthly. All Rights Reserved.
Website maintained and powered by Veraprise and Matrimont.