Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Mar 19, 2020 - 6:29 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

I want to get drinking again, but the stomach virus I contracted in Berlin three weeks ago is still causing me problems. So maybe I'll take a 'white weekend' and get back to business next week, mid-week, instead. For now, there is still beer to be bought in stores, and wine monopolies still open.

Posted:   Mar 19, 2020 - 8:06 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

When cleaning my beer glass, I wash it out three times with soap--this has always been my ritual--before The Pour. I absolutely cannot stand any bubbles clinging to the inside of a dirty beer glass.

Do you boys have a similair routine, or is it just straight out of the can/bottle and down your Eurogullet?

Posted:   Mar 19, 2020 - 8:09 AM   
 By:   Graham Watt   (Member)

Straight out of the can/bottle and down my Eurogullet.

Posted:   Mar 19, 2020 - 8:22 AM   

When cleaning my beer glass, I wash it out three times with soap--this has always been my ritual--before The Pour. I absolutely cannot stand any bubbles clinging to the inside of a dirty beer glass.

I have a very strict regime when it comes to beer glasses. These are the rules you should follow:

* NEVER use them for milk! They will be ruined forever as far as beer drinking is concerned. You shouldn't really use them for anything else than beer either.
* NEVER use a brush to wash them, unless you have a dedicated brush. Otherwise, fat and other residue from the brush you use for dishes will attach itself to the glass interior, and it will -- once again -- be unusable for beer.
* For cleaning, rinse it in as warm tap water as you can, both the inside and outside. Be sure to wash extra carefully around the edge, since that is where the unwanted bacteria from your mouth are, but don't touch the interior of the glass with your bare fingers. Dry off with a clean cloth.
* You CAN use soap, but I don't recommend it. Again, because certain soap types will ruin the interior.
* You CAN use a dishwasher, but I don't recommend it. Fragments from other cutlery etc. in the dishwasher may ruin it.

If you go to any given pub, you'll see that beer glasses are cleaned by hot, steamy water, nothing else. That's the way to do it. You can easily see if a beer glass works if the foam sticks to the top for a while, and doesn't immediately diminish into nothing (foam should be appr. 1/3 of the glass upon pouring, btw.....tilt it at the beginning, then raise it at the end untill you get it right; takes some practice).

Posted:   Mar 19, 2020 - 9:10 AM   
 By:   Michael Scorefan   (Member)

I usually drink beer out of a glass. The dirty glasses go into the dishwasher. I have gotten a few glasses over the years that are not dishwasher safe, and are admittedly very nice, but they ultimately collected dust for lack of use, and are now somewhere in the garage. I prefer the lazy/practical solution.

Thor, I like your rules about beer glasses, but having had roommates over the years, now a wife, and pre-social distancing, visits from guests who are comfortable enough grabbing any glass from the cabinet, trying to establish beer only glasses has long since gone out the window.

Posted:   Mar 19, 2020 - 9:14 AM   

Thor, I like your rules about beer glasses, but having had roommates over the years, now a wife, and pre-social distancing, visits from guests who are comfortable enough grabbing any glass from the cabinet, trying to establish beer only glasses has long since gone out the window.

Yeah, I can see that. I'm fortunate that way, living alone. But I've made sure to make all my friends and family aware of these rules. At our summer house in Denmark, for example, my parents have been good at following my rules, making the beer glasses usable. Also, if you live with someone you don't trust to follow your rules, HIDE the glasses somewhere!

Having a proper beer glass is almost as important as the beer itself!

(that being said, there are some 'everyday beers' I just drink from the bottle, like the Tuborgs).

Posted:   Mar 19, 2020 - 9:04 PM   
 By:   Michael Scorefan   (Member)

Enjoying some of this while sheltering in place. Pretty good IPA.

Anyone else indulging while stuck at home?

Posted:   Mar 19, 2020 - 9:32 PM   
 By:   Josh   (Member)

Hurry up and end, world; I don't want to run out of booze.

He, he. In terms of booze, we're rather vulnerable in Norway, because you can't buy alcohol stronger than 4.7% in grocery stores (and only before 20:00 on weekdays and 18:00 on Saturdays, none at all on Sundays). You'll have to go to the socalled 'wine monopoly' for licor, wine and stronger beers. So if they close too, we're screwed!

Here in San Diego, there are privately-owned liquor stores on every other corner, even in the boondocks. Beer, wine and "hard" liquor are also sold at most grocery stores and megastores like Walmart, so we'll run out of toilet paper before we run out of booze. My only gripe is the IPA craze, which has resulted in the almost complete disappearance of my beloved stouts and dark ales from store shelves.

Posted:   Mar 20, 2020 - 1:25 AM   

Here in San Diego, there are privately-owned liquor stores on every other corner, even in the boondocks. Beer, wine and "hard" liquor are also sold at most grocery stores and megastores like Walmart, so we'll run out of toilet paper before we run out of booze. My only gripe is the IPA craze, which has resulted in the almost complete disappearance of my beloved stouts and dark ales from store shelves.

Yeah, I remember from my trip to SD back in 2012. Totally envious of your 24-hour access.

Posted:   Mar 20, 2020 - 7:01 AM   

Might try something different in a couple of hours. Some friends and I are getting together for our Friday beers -- on SKYPE! Never done that before. I'm thinking automatically of the horror film UNFRIENDED from a few years ago, LOL!

Posted:   Mar 20, 2020 - 7:12 AM   

Might try something different in a couple of hours. Some friends and I are getting together for our Friday beers -- on SKYPE! Never done that before. I'm thinking automatically of the horror film UNFRIENDED from a few years ago, LOL!

Great idea! Would there be a way to do a simultaneous drinking session via Skype, involving all the regulars on this thread? Depending on the time zone, some of us haven't even had breakfast yet. The Aussies on the other hand will already be half pished.

Posted:   Mar 20, 2020 - 7:14 AM   

You know, that would actually be a superb idea. A bit awkward at first, maybe, and I don't know how it would work, technically, with everyone talking at the same time. But I'd certainly be up for it! Some of us have never met face to face to begin with.

Posted:   Mar 20, 2020 - 7:48 AM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

We're doing that at work today.... we will be in a joined hangout together today, at 4:00 p.m. (GMT+1) for our traditional Friday beer. So in 12 minutes it is: cheers!

Posted:   Mar 20, 2020 - 7:56 AM   

Good for you, Nicolai! Have a great time! If this gets off the ground here, are we allowed to all play our music at the same time? Or will film music be a banned topic? I shupposhe it dependsh on how pished we are.

Posted:   Mar 20, 2020 - 7:56 AM   
 By:   paulhickling   (Member)

Hurry up and end, world; I don't want to run out of booze.

He, he. In terms of booze, we're rather vulnerable in Norway, because you can't buy alcohol stronger than 4.7% in grocery stores (and only before 20:00 on weekdays and 18:00 on Saturdays, none at all on Sundays). You'll have to go to the socalled 'wine monopoly' for licor, wine and stronger beers. So if they close too, we're screwed!

I feel your pain a little. As an IPA fan myself, I don't think it's fair that the success of one type of beer should eliminate availability of others. But I am coming around to the idea of black IPAs despite the contradiction in the name, which I believe is an American idea (I could be wrong) that has taken root here in the UK. Had one last week in a ....Wetherspoons... and it was nice to have a black beer (Titanic Brewery 'Black Ice') with my required level of bitterness, the reason I usually stick to pales.

Posted:   Mar 21, 2020 - 5:01 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

My booze emporium is still open and also doing online and in-store pickups, so I put in an "Apocalypse Now" order of Carlsberg and Becherovka, my two drinks of choice.

Hurry up and end, world; I don't want to run out of booze. wink

Posted:   Mar 21, 2020 - 6:17 AM   

Having already decided to make yesterday afternoon the last crawl of my three village locals, we got the news of the outright closing of all pubs whilst in my last port of call. I should say that we are fortunate in that all pubs have plenty of room and only a handful of drinkers each, so the guidelines of distance were being followed well, as opposed to town and city places where the kids were carrying on as normal, packing out the bars and clubs reveling as per usual, the evenings before the ban. (I'm still planning a little walk at my usual time to see if anyone is selling beer for take out and maybe even allowing folks to sit way apart in the beer gardens.. in the cold English March. Doubtful of course, but I might take with me a beer and wave through the windows... How sad is this!!??)

But orders are orders, and as last orders have now been called for the foreseeable, I availed myself this morning of the local Bargain Booze and B&M. The former for a good selection, and the latter for that amazing Guinness Foreign Extra I mentioned a while back. Just the one for the evening at 7.5. I don't have Thor's constitution for more of them!

The others were three bottles of Oakham Brewery's Citra, and a a four pack of canned Brewdog Punk IPA. Love 'em both, and I have to take my hat off again to the yanks for their wonderful hops. They have been using Centennial, Cascade, Chinook and Citra hops now for some time in the UK and they are the best! Thanks Uncle Sam for cheering up British beer. I'm raising my glass as I speak, because having got home with my haul I couldn't resist a wee one for lunch.

The Skype idea sounds great. Shame I'm such a technophobe. But imagine a pub where we could all meet up and put on our special film music juke box. We could indulge in that great British past time of taking the piss out of each other's tastes. I can hear someone even now shouting "WHO PUT ZIMMER ON!!??"

If it was The Lone Ranger it would have been me... cheers.

Posted:   Mar 21, 2020 - 6:36 AM   

Yes, all pubs were closed here in Norway too awhile back. Restaurants were allowed to stay open, but now I believe they're closing them too. Basically everything is closed, except grocery stores, pharmacies and -- thankfully still -- the wine monopoly.

I'll look into the Skype (or similar service) thing when I get the time (next week is kinda full for me). Should be doable. Last night's Skype party with my buds turned out pretty amusing, actually. Would be neat to see some of you guys face to face. Obviously, I've met some of the "Cheers" regulars in real life before -- Kev McGann, Michael Scorefan, Paul Hickling, First Breath, just some of the names I see on this page. But no Bill Carson, Thomas, Graham Watt or Jim Phelps, for example. Was supposed to have met Josh when I was in San Diego, but he cancelled in the last minute because he hates me (wink). Never met Nicolai either, but he's taken a boat past our family island in the South of Norway where I grew up. That's about as close as it gets.

Posted:   Mar 21, 2020 - 6:52 AM   

I hope somebody teaches me how to use "a computer" before our proposed virtual party.

More importantly, I hope the supermarket across the road gets some beer in. I've just been, and they didn't have any left. All those people who used to crowd the bars are now emptying the shelves of beer! There's a bigger supermarket a bit further into the centre of town. I'll try that after lunch, but I'll probably be stopped by a soldier with a machine gun. We have to justify our movements if we get caught in the street. I should have a medical certificate somewhere that says I "need" beer.

Posted:   Mar 21, 2020 - 7:17 AM   

Yes it's odd the things that I've seen the shelves cleared of. Some things you'd expect to disappear is there and less important things.. gone. All the crisps at B&M! Weird.

I reckon things might balance out eventually when people get the message that the supplies aren't short. There's currently no need to stockpile, and we haven't. Just done our normal shopping and we've been ok on the whole.

Wife even managed to get toilet rolls the other day!