Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jul 31, 2010 - 5:43 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

I've enjoyed going through Season 1 on DVD (released by Timeless a couple months ago) and have a boot set. It's amazing how they could do a whole season worth of 90 minute episodes, but having a great ensemble obviously helped!

It pains me that I don't yet own this, but I have been watching the show on encore westerns. Myrna Loy was the guest star yesterday in a rare villain role, this during Charles Bickford's time on the program.

There's a great "making of" book on the series too.

Waaay ahead of you, Doctor! (See my Jan 26, 2008 post above wink)

Posted:   Jul 31, 2010 - 8:12 AM   
 By:   Eric Paddon   (Member)

Yes, but the book isn't quite as expensive now as it was then! smile

Posted:   Jul 31, 2010 - 8:16 AM   

Should The Virginian thrive and get ongoing DVD releases--I hope it does--it would certainly earn a "Yum" thread of its own; lots of great 1960s actresses there in what was often a high quality show.

Posted:   Jul 31, 2010 - 8:21 AM   

Well if such a thread were started it would be the only 60s TV show to feature my personal favorite of all time, who was an uncredited unknown as a saloon girl when she appeared but then got her own spotlight for a special repeat six years later! smile

Posted:   Jul 31, 2010 - 9:21 AM   

That's a nice find. I saw it in another thread, was it the Big Valley one? Yes, scads of legends, up-and-comers, and solid character actors in The Virginian. It's just one aspect of '60-'70s TV I find so appealing.

Posted:   Aug 23, 2010 - 3:01 PM   

I'm as much a Clu Gulager "fan" as the next vintage TV afficionado, but his mouthful-of-marbles mumbling in The Virginian is most amusing! I also think this show is the only time the man ever played a good guy!

Posted:   Aug 23, 2010 - 3:05 PM   
 By:   Niall from Ireland   (Member)

I'm as much a Clu Gulager "fan" as the next vintage TV afficionado, but his mouthful-of-marbles mumbling in The Virginian is most amusing! I also think this show is the only time the man ever played a good guy!

Clu was excellent in Don Siegel's The Killers! BTW, I now have none other than James Drury as a friend in my Facebook!

Posted:   Aug 27, 2010 - 9:37 AM   

Timeless Media's advertising Season Two of The Virginian in a two-part set at a fairly steep price. I hope Amazon releases it like they did S1 in one complete set:

http://www.timelessvideo.com/dvds/thevirginians2p1.html

http://www.timelessvideo.com/dvds/thevirginians2p2.html

Posted:   Aug 27, 2010 - 10:13 AM   

So far, S2 has only been available as an exclusive in Sam's Club stores. Alas, the nearest one to me is 30 miles away and even when I called them they didn't have it.

Posted:   Aug 27, 2010 - 12:58 PM   
 By:   Donna   (Member)

OK, does anyone know if James Drury wore at toupee---at least in the last few seasons. Extremely curious...................

Posted:   Aug 27, 2010 - 1:27 PM   

OK, does anyone know if James Drury wore at toupee---at least in the last few seasons. Extremely curious...................

It looked like a combover until about S5 when it was, at least to my eyes, a divot.

If you've watched those snippets of interviews encore westerns runs before the show starts, you may notice that Drury is always wearing his black hat.

Toupe or no, I still love the show. smile (and I know you do too, Sis!)

EDIT: I think he may have worn one from the start!

Posted:   Aug 27, 2010 - 1:52 PM   

James Drury IS The Virginian!

Posted:   Aug 27, 2010 - 2:03 PM   

I will admit that I watch it if I get home in time because my husband watches it each and every evening if he is home in time. (Lord knows it's better than the news!)
Encore Westerns: 4:30pm

Posted:   Aug 27, 2010 - 4:27 PM   
 By:   filmusicnow   (Member)

Well if such a thread were started it would be the only 60s TV show to feature my personal favorite of all time, who was an uncredited unknown as a saloon girl when she appeared but then got her own spotlight for a special repeat six years later! smile

Which season was that episode from?

Posted:   Aug 27, 2010 - 4:53 PM   

The first episode of Season 3 (1964-65).

Posted:   Aug 28, 2010 - 3:00 AM   
 By:   Niall from Ireland   (Member)

Folks, if interested, check out James on Facebook, he's still very active, making lots of appearances at western shows, rodeo's etc!

Posted:   Aug 28, 2010 - 6:13 AM   

Folks, if interested, check out James on Facebook, he's still very active, making lots of appearances at western shows, rodeo's etc!

Do you have a link? There are several with his name...
Thx

Posted:   Aug 28, 2010 - 6:45 AM   

Do you have a link? There are several with his name...
Thx

I got this one from his homepage:

http://www.facebook.com/people/James-Drury-The-Virginian/100000317036780

http://www.thevirginian.net/

Posted:   Aug 28, 2010 - 11:59 AM   
 By:   filmusicnow   (Member)

This NBC western series lasted nine seasons, 1962-1971 and aired on Wednesday nights from 7:30-9:00pm for its entire run. It's TV's first 90 minute Western. Considering that it aired opposite ratings giant The Beverly Hillbillies (gag) the show managed to be a top 25 program for a few of its seasons. Solid storytelling (this was an "Adult Western", to use the parlance of the time) a *GREAT* yet seemingly forgotten theme by Percy Faith(!). The fine cast including Lee J. Cobb, Doug McClure, and James Drury as The Virginian. Charles Bickford replaced Cobb for one season (1966-67). Loads of great guest stars and so many that made the rounds on American TV in those days.

And I always thought that Roberta Shore was cute...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o1nTqlUGYTE&feature=related

Bickford guest starred in one episode from the first season.

Posted:   Sep 24, 2010 - 9:58 AM   

The Virginian's second season is out in general release on December 7, 2010. Another collector's tin.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Virginian-Season-2/14447