Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Apr 2, 2017 - 12:27 PM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

Yes. It takes an unusual degree of sensitivity to pick up on these things.

It takes being awake and aware.

I get that times change, but that doesn't necessarily make certain things from the past any easier to experience.

In all due respect, I think that you are filtering reality and events through the prism of a certain form of cultural ism. You are free espouse these views. The rest of us, perhaps most, don't neccesarily agree. In all due respect and very humbly submitted of course.

Posted:   Apr 2, 2017 - 3:33 PM   
 By:   OnyaBirri   (Member)

In all due respect, I think that you are filtering reality and events through the prism of a certain form of cultural ism. You are free espouse these views. The rest of us, perhaps most, don't neccesarily agree. In all due respect and very humbly submitted of course.

The content is there or it isn't. That is objective. How we react to that content is subjective.

However, I would argue that "filtering through a prism of cultural-ism" is very different from having a strong visceral reaction.

Posted:   Apr 2, 2017 - 3:44 PM   
 By:   RoryR   (Member)

It's what you mostly got from a Clint Eastwood movie and what made them so popular with so many in the States -- it's a celebration of a certain breed of uniquely American right-wing"ism." A low-brow aesthetic ethic, quite conservative, but also somewhat charmingly square that in this case flirts with campiness. Eastwood was more thoughtful as a filmmaker than as just a film star, but the puddle doesn't run very deep.

The last time I watched BREEZY, I found the underlining conservative sensibilities in it very revolting.

I guess this just about sums it up. I like Clint in GBU, the first two or three Dirty Harry flicks, and Play Misty for Me, and not much beyond that. Bird was pretty good.

I like A LOT of Clint Eastwood movies, but that doesn't mean I ignore where they're coming from and even feel guilty about it, like with KELLY'S HEROES. The message of that movie is pretty scary -- if you really think about.

Posted:   Apr 2, 2017 - 4:04 PM   

The content is there or it isn't. That is objective. How we react to that content is subjective.

However, I would argue that "filtering through a prism of cultural-ism" is very different from having a strong visceral reaction.

Yeah right. "Objective" in your own visceral reaction. Incidentally, you conveniently forgot " a certain form" when quoting me. I wonder why.

Posted:   Apr 2, 2017 - 4:35 PM   

Yeah right. "Objective" in your own visceral reaction. Incidentally, you conveniently forgot " a certain form" when quoting me. I wonder why.

I wasn't quoting your entire sentence. I was quoting the terms that you were using, which would not have been my choice of terms.

And I don't understand your first sentence, quoted (correctly) above.

Posted:   Apr 7, 2017 - 8:38 PM   

I wasn't quoting your entire sentence. I was quoting the terms that you were using, which would not have been my choice of terms.

And I don't understand your first sentence, quoted (correctly) above.

I still don't get your unusual sensitivity jazz. Am I right to think that you claim to see and hear 'stuff' that the rest of us don't? Sounds like the plot to a certain Bruce Willis flick.

Edit: my apologies for the tardy reply. Freakishly busy these days.

Posted:   Apr 7, 2017 - 8:54 PM   
 By:   Last Child   (Member)

glad I bailed out of this contentious thread to watch the movie instead...good ole George (and I dont mean Kennedy).

Posted:   Apr 8, 2017 - 3:44 AM   
 By:   Rollin Hand   (Member)

Is this film as unintentionally hilarious as the trailer?

It's a minor Clint Eastwood film and a spy spoof in order to pay the bills.
His next film (The Outlaw Josey Wales) will be a masterpiece.
It has a good cast of characters.
Eastwood likes to toy with the sarcastic tone: see the character played by Jack Cassidy and his dog or the female trainer with a male name (George) who acts in an erratic manner.
The ending is too banal as in a silly Roger Moore's James Bond film of that era.

PS: The original recording deserves to be released. It's as good as Black Sunday!

Posted:   Apr 8, 2017 - 7:04 AM   

I still don't get your unusual sensitivity jazz. Am I right to think that you claim to see and hear 'stuff' that the rest of us don't? Sounds like the plot to a certain Bruce Willis flick.

No worries. I make no such claims. My point was simply that we have different reactions. I am not trying to invalidate reactions that differ from mine, and I would request the same in return.

Posted:   Apr 8, 2017 - 7:13 AM   

Not quite, but it's pretty good.

Posted:   Apr 8, 2017 - 1:04 PM   
 By:   riotengine   (Member)

the trailer narrator's cliche exaggerations are amusing, but I dont find the trailer itself funny, unless you're in the mood to pull wings off flies. I really like the film and John Williams score (which still needs to be released!). Basically if Dirty Harry was a paid assassin for the government, so he's a jaded spy (a job I dont think he's portrayed elsewhere). Great location shooting in Utah and Switzerland. Some fun quotable character lines.[/endquote)

What David and Thor said. Not perfect, but not awful.

Greg

Posted:   Apr 8, 2017 - 1:08 PM   
 By:   Rollin Hand   (Member)

In my opinion, off course.

Posted:   Apr 8, 2017 - 3:09 PM   

Is this film as unintentionally hilarious as the trailer?

Not to this character, and this was in the trailer. That's what you get for laughing at Clint's mule.

Posted:   Apr 8, 2017 - 9:20 PM   

No worries. I make no such claims. My point was simply that we have different reactions. I am not trying to invalidate reactions that differ from mine, and I would request the same in return.

Fair enough.

Posted:   Apr 9, 2017 - 6:27 AM   

In my opinion, off course.

Yes, that's what keeps it from being a masterpiece, the plot goes off course too often and the movie is overlong.

Posted:   Apr 9, 2017 - 6:27 AM   

Dp

Posted:   Apr 10, 2017 - 1:23 PM   
 By:   jackfu   (Member)

If you were “coming of age” along the time this was made, it really was not that different from others of the genre as far as the “isms” that have been noted here and would have been tolerated as others were. Certainly some folks found it objectionable then, just as they did Shaft and other films with supermacho heroes. Were the Bond films, Blaxsploitation films, etc., any less ism-ified than The Eiger Sanction? Not rationalizing, just saying it was typical of its time.
Who knows, perhaps Clint Eastwood was parodying the action films of the day.
As I said earlier in this thread, it’s a good film, especially for an early directorial effort, with an ending that is disappointing and with plot holes galore, but it is watchable even with today’s sensitivities.
Of course, the main reason I watch it when it’s on is John Williams’ score.

Posted:   Apr 10, 2017 - 4:22 PM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

glad I bailed out of this contentious thread to watch the movie instead...good ole George (and I dont mean Kennedy).

Love the scenery.

Posted:   Apr 10, 2017 - 4:38 PM   
 By:   jenkwombat   (Member)

Love the scenery.

Yes, the green of the leaves really stands out! smile

Posted:   Apr 10, 2017 - 8:51 PM   

Love the scenery.

Yes, the green of the leaves really stands out! smile

I prefer the jutting peaks...as this is about mountain climbing. wink

If many dont appreciate the film, I wonder what "the many" think of WHITE HUNTER, BLACK HEART. There's your larger-than-life macho man story.