Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Sep 12, 2013 - 5:31 PM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

Benedict Cumberbatch discusses Jeremy Brett:

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2012/10/benedict-cumberbatch-pays-homage-to-former-sherlock-jeremy-brett/

Posted:   Jan 1, 2015 - 4:02 PM   

Patrick Gowers, R.I.P.

Music from The Priory School

Posted:   Jan 1, 2015 - 4:34 PM   
 By:   JohnnyG   (Member)

The best Sherlock ever had the best musical theme!

A sad loss. May he rest in peace.

Posted:   Jan 2, 2015 - 6:54 AM   

I watched "The Priory School" episode of the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes. I watched the episode twice; once regular and again with director John "Shakespeare in Love" Madden's commentary. A Jeremy Brett biographer and a Sherlock Holmes fanzine(?) publisher joined in what is a fantastic commentary. Madden recalls the production in surprising detail and his co-commentators let him do the majority of the speaking though their contributions help spur the discussion. One of the best commentaries for a TV program I've ever heard, though Madden never refers to The Return of Sherlock Holmes as a "TV show."

Posted:   Jan 3, 2015 - 8:24 AM   
 By:   paulhickling   (Member)

I was a massive fan of the series in the 80s, and regard everything within The Adventures, finishing with The Final Problem to be perfect. While the change between Watsons was virtually seamless I too would add my weight at the Burke end of the consensus. He was somewhat livelier.

The rest is still very good but I did feel they 'messed about' with things a little. One period was when Brett himself declared he would bury the syringe to clear Holmes of his cocaine addiction, as a visual statement, together with the fluffier hair do. Thankfully the slick backed version came back.

My main disappointment was The Hound of the Baskervilles. I was waiting for the day of it's inclusion, which I knew they'd only do once they were well into the canon. Maybe I enjoyed the Rathbone and Hammer Cushing versions too much for this more sedate adaptation.

However what I do remember was dual pleasures regarding the series. First of visiting the Granada Studios in Manchester whilst the series was still in production. The famous Baker Street ran parallel to the other famous British tv street Granada is even more famous for, our tv soap Coronation Street. This was when they had tours, complete with actors in Victorian dress. A street urchin scared the life out of my wife!

The second was seeing the two stars of the series live on stage in The Secret of Sherlock Holmes in London. The wait in the freezing cold was worth it when out they both came signing autographs and posing for a picture.

Posted:   Jan 6, 2015 - 11:52 AM   
 By:   Ado   (Member)

He was very good, his show kicked off my curiosity about Holmes, there was something very specific and technical about what he did with the character, a lot of layers to the voice, mannerisms and posture.

On the other end of things I tried to watch the Robert Downey sequel the other day and realized how awful his attempt at an accent is, forced and overly flowery, and besides that, that version of Holmes is such a wretchedly unappealing man that is far from a gentleman.

Posted:   Jul 18, 2015 - 8:16 AM   

Will Ian McKellen's Mr. Holmes be added to the brilliant portrayals?

Posted:   Jul 21, 2015 - 6:44 AM   
 By:   Jehannum   (Member)

I avidly watched every episode of the Brett series when it was first shown. The Benedict Cumberbatch series is good too. It doesn't overlap much with previous incarnations so it doesn't need to compete with them.

Posted:   Jan 19, 2017 - 8:59 AM   

Now, more than ever. In Appreciation: Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes.

Posted:   Jan 19, 2017 - 9:14 AM   
 By:   RoryR   (Member)

Basil Rathbone is forever.

Posted:   Jan 19, 2017 - 9:38 AM   
 By:   The Wanderer   (Member)

Brett was amazing as was Rathbone. I enjoy Cumberbatch but would live to have seen him in a version set in the original period. The Abominable Guff episode doesn't count.

Robert Stephens also made a great Holmes too. I pretty much enjoy most Holmes interpretations, with the nitable exception of Chuck Heston in some godawful production that had the worst synths in it's sountrack that mimicked trumpets and fanfares horribly.

Posted:   Jan 19, 2017 - 10:17 AM   
 By:   Ron Pulliam   (Member)

As an offshoot in this appreciation thread, Brett has made appearances in two films I hold in high esteem.

First, King Vidor's 1956 "War and Peace":

And in George Cukor's (or should that be Jack Warner's?) 1964 "My Fair Lady":

I bring these up because I was a fan of Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes long before I realized it was the same actor who portrayed Audrey Hepburn's brother in "War and Peace" and her pursuer in "My Fair Lady".

Posted:   Jan 19, 2017 - 11:28 AM   
 By:   WILLIAMDMCCRUM   (Member)

Brett's Holmes is wonderful, and he's a cracking actor, but comparing him to the recent Sherlock is pointless. The latter is a commentary on 21st century Aspergo-geekery and not meant to be 'representative'.

Posted:   Jan 22, 2017 - 8:26 AM   

Brett's Holmes is wonderful, and he's a cracking actor, but comparing him to the recent Sherlock is pointless. The latter is a commentary on 21st century Aspergo-geekery and not meant to be 'representative'.

For something "not meant to be 'representative'", Moffat and Gatiss sure went through a lot of trouble to make references to canon, and otherwise throw bones to longtime Sherlock Holmes fans, though I do agree with your assessment of the show, which sure went to crap with series three (actually series two, episode three).

Posted:   Jan 22, 2017 - 9:23 AM   
 By:   WILLIAMDMCCRUM   (Member)

For something "not meant to be 'representative'", Moffat and Gatiss sure went through a lot of trouble to make references to canon, and otherwise throw bones to longtime Sherlock Holmes fans, though I do agree with your assessment of the show, which sure went to crap with series three (actually series two, episode three).

Hey, I didn't mean it as a put-down. The world has room for both.

The media have to tread a difficult line (the responsible media that is, and the Beeb have to be) between honouring and getting assimilated the new 'nerd' as a sympathetic hero for the future, whilst also challenging and questioning the darker side of that.

Try Netflix's 'Black Mirror' drama series by Charlie Brooker for the latter.

Posted:   Sep 15, 2020 - 12:44 PM   
 By:   Xebec   (Member)

I've been rewatching the Brett Sherlock Holmes series and it's as good as i remember it. He really is excellent and full of life as Holmes. The little flourishes he gives the character and the showmanship he seems to revel in is really enjoyable to watch. The Patrick Gowers music is absolutely cracking. The first five episodes alone warrant enough for a CD. Such beautiful variations of the theme too.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2020 - 6:02 AM   
 By:   paulhickling   (Member)

I've been rewatching the Brett Sherlock Holmes series and it's as good as i remember it. He really is excellent and full of life as Holmes. The little flourishes he gives the character and the showmanship he seems to revel in is really enjoyable to watch. The Patrick Gowers music is absolutely cracking. The first five episodes alone warrant enough for a CD. Such beautiful variations of the theme too.

There was of course this cd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS1_hqw12UI

Posted:   Sep 17, 2020 - 9:38 AM   

I rewatched the entire series late last year. Sure, there are some bumps in the road towards the end of the run, but even those are all worth watching. Brett's health issues were no doubt the primary obstacle, but I admire how he soldiered on and continued to be imo the greatest Holmes ever seen on the small screen.

I have an obsession with "The Devil's Foot", which is the episode I watch first when I go through the whole series.

Looks like I'll have to "remaster" this thread (special thanks to the criminals at Photobucket for making this possible).

Posted:   Sep 17, 2020 - 11:02 AM   
 By:   Xebec   (Member)

Charles Gray as Mycroft is ace - he's great in everything. I think a young Jude Law shows up in a much later episode if i recall correctly. Natasha Richardson was just in an ep. Lots of familiar British TV faces from the 80s. I like the effort they put into the street scenes too.

Posted:   Sep 18, 2020 - 6:14 AM   

Charles Gray appeared on an episode of The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes as detective "Eugene Valmont." Valmont was supposed to be a great detective, always banging on about all the cases he solved, yet the character apparently fails in all(?) of his stories, making the character a parody of the then-crowded detective field.

https://thrillingdetective.wordpress.com/2019/01/27/eugene-valmont/