Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Sep 15, 2020 - 11:58 AM   
 By:   Xebec   (Member)

One of the few bright spots of recent months is that my local British marketplace has changed owners, and has brought in a bevy of British foodstuff along with the favorites I've enthused over in the various Britfood topics. smile

Got a couple of Bounty dark chocolate candy bars--they're infinitely superior to "Mounds", their American equivalent. Also picked up my beloved Yorkie bar, Jelly Babies, and Curly Wurly.

I'm still on the lookout for the Jamaica rum candy bar. The new management are keen to take requests on a variety of British foods.

Get some Revels if you can.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2020 - 4:26 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

I only know of Revels from Still Game, when Winston and his grandson are accosted by a pack of Neds outside of Navid's shop. I think I saw Revels when I was at the Boots at Heathrow...seems so long ago.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2020 - 5:11 AM   

I should also mention my newfound enjoyment of Russian chocolate. There's a place here that has many of their hallowed sweets, and I've grown quite fond of their old standby brand, "Alenka/Alionka" Especially the milk chocolate with the hazelnuts and raisins.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2020 - 5:55 AM   
 By:   paulhickling   (Member)

The Curly-Wurly seems way shorter than when I was a kid!, with those great adverts starring UK comic actor Terry Scott. I always called Bruce Springsteen's Blinded By the Light (better known here as sung by Manfred Mann's Earth Band) the Curly-Wurly song as it's mentioned in the lyrics. I know it's not the chocolate bar but it always makes me chuckle when I hear it on the radio at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS1_hqw12UI

Revels are great. You never know which one you're going to get next, and if you're not careful you end up with too many boring toffees and orange creams.

Jelly Babies are a strange thing. Who on Earth came up with the idea of babies you eat?? Love 'em of course. Tom Baker's Doctor Who wouldn't be the same without them.

Bounties are sublime whether milk or plain (dark), and I remember Old Jamaica first being advertised. Seemed a very grown up chocolate bar when I was a kid.

But, and stop me if we've already been down this route, what about the battered deep fried Mars Bar? Originating I believe in Scotland. We got them in Elsecar many years ago at a chip shop that is now a pizza takeaway/kebab shop. They were much nicer than we might have a right to expect. And they did Double Deckers too!

Posted:   Sep 16, 2020 - 11:41 AM   

Revels are great. You never know which one you're going to get next, and if you're not careful you end up with too many boring toffees and orange creams.

Jelly Babies are a strange thing. Who on Earth came up with the idea of babies you eat?? Love 'em of course. Tom Baker's Doctor Who wouldn't be the same without them.

Bounties are sublime whether milk or plain (dark), and I remember Old Jamaica first being advertised. Seemed a very grown up chocolate bar when I was a kid.

But, and stop me if we've already been down this route, what about the battered deep fried Mars Bar? Originating I believe in Scotland. We got them in Elsecar many years ago at a chip shop that is now a pizza takeaway/kebab shop. They were much nicer than we might have a right to expect. And they did Double Deckers too!

I am obsessed with orange creams and/or chocolate orange creams. They used to be commonplace in boxed chocolate assortments, but the nation's taste has apparently shifted to caramel-filled and truffle-filled chocolates. Nothing wrong with either of those, but I prefer the creams.

I have two bags of Jelly Babies on hand, ready for action. wink

Fried Mars bars seem to be a Scottish phenomenon. Norn Iron comedian Tim McGarry mentioned those fried Mars bars in his "Ulster-Scots Journey" show. Some people here deep fry the Mars equivalent, the Milky Way bar, which is different from the Euro Milky Way but identical to the Mars.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2020 - 12:08 PM   

Deep fried double decker would be magic.

Minstrels are one of my top chocs too, above Revels.

Posted:   Sep 17, 2020 - 2:35 AM   

It's good that folks do like the orange and coffee creams. In our house they're the kind that always get left until last.

Posted:   Sep 17, 2020 - 7:35 AM   

It's good that folks do like the orange and coffee creams. In our house they're the kind that always get left until last.

Heh. I tend to like the flavors most everyone else despises: milk chocolate, licorice, vanilla, and any variation of creams in chocolate candies.

Posted:   Sep 18, 2020 - 7:08 AM   

I'm happy with the first three flavours there. I do enjoy the black stuff when I have it. The allsorts are good fun. Unlike some I don't have a favourite allsort so enjoy the different one each time just as with Revels.

Posted:   Sep 22, 2020 - 6:58 AM   

Alenka chocolate bars are my current fixation, but NOT because the guy in the video eats them:

Posted:   Sep 22, 2020 - 7:30 AM   
 By:   Michael Scorefan   (Member)

Jelly babies are something I loved until I didn't. In college I spent a semester in Watford, and a few friends of mine and I were excited to give them a try, as we were all Tom Baker fans. The first couple of months I couldn't get enough of them, and then one day they suddenly tasted terrible, and I haven't been able to enjoy them since. I did, and still do, enjoy plenty of other U.K candies, including Bounty, the Bassett's licorice all sorts as well as smarties. (The candy shell covered chocolate not the fruit(?) flavored tablets they sell in the U.S.)

Posted:   Sep 22, 2020 - 7:52 AM   

I like Jelly Babies--especially the blackcurrant ones. I have a couple of bags at the ready, but only eat three Jelly Babies a week...any more than that and I'd probably go off of them.

Posted:   Sep 22, 2020 - 8:53 AM   

Was never a fan of jelly babies. Never liked the texture. But will eat them under duress. I prefer a Haribo bear style texture. Haribo having perfected the hoof-based jelly treat many moons ago.

Posted:   Sep 23, 2020 - 3:40 PM   

Was never a fan of jelly babies. Never liked the texture. But will eat them under duress. I prefer a Haribo bear style texture. Haribo having perfected the hoof-based jelly treat many moons ago.

I've never tried Haribo for the superficial reason that their logo and presentation look cheap.

Posted:   Sep 23, 2020 - 5:31 PM   

I've never tried Haribo for the superficial reason that their logo and presentation look cheap.

You have denied yourself excellence.
In the sweet/candy field.

Posted:   Sep 24, 2020 - 1:32 AM   
 By:   KeV McG   (Member)

Jelly Babies = Yay
Haribo - No. They're like a poor mans wine gums.

Posted:   Sep 24, 2020 - 4:12 AM   

Haribo has a Boltonian self harm element that makes it gummily appealing to some, I suppose.

Posted:   Sep 24, 2020 - 4:28 AM   

Haribo are okay if you're sitting off in the Arctic, doing sh!te all and waiting for some infected dog to send your whole camp to hell.
But in Normal Town, they're for babies and pre-teens.

Posted:   Sep 24, 2020 - 4:30 AM   

"You've got to be fecking kidding!"

~xebec, after watching his oily Haribo wrapper walk away

Posted:   Sep 24, 2020 - 5:03 AM   

Haha, yes. Although I'm sure Xebec would be quite happy to spend the rest of his winter, tied to (T)HIS FUC*ING COUCH!!!